You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

it's the attritional effect - it's been going on for far too long, and maybe it's the sense that its not going to change while Rafa is in charge. It's a fairly obvious point to make, but I don't see anything more compelling than that.

I see your point but it doesn't explain why he's had a cob on since Spurs away.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point but it doesn't explain why he's had a cob on since Spurs away.

Personally I think it's because we came so close to a title last season, and then had such a negative transfer window, that he's realised he's probably not getting one under the current regime.

He may have fallen out with Benitez over team selections, and it's exacerbated by the fact he believes there are much better players on the sidelines while the poor performers are getting picked every week.

I haven't spoken to Gerrard personally so I can't be 100% sure.

Personally I think it's because we came so close to a title last season, and then had such a negative transfer window, that he's realised he's probably not getting one under the current regime.

Oh dear!

Because obviously the next logical thought would be that "I've finished second with my team, playing some of our best football for years, gaining the highest number of premiership points my team has ever had - I'm not going to win the Prem".

That's beyond stupid.

Sorry but as many good points Strinvest makes, this isn't about Dirk, it isn't really about performance either, although the two may be linked, it is about attitude and for all the focus on Lucas and Kuyt there attitude can never really be questioned.

My heart tells me that Gerrard is simply not playing well, and as such his faults, just as Dirks faults and Carraghers faults all come to the fore, he is a stroppy get in so far as he lets things affect him. He may be sulking because he isn't playing well and rather than just looking to work harder or concentrate on getting about the pitch, gets frustrated and gets down. It has always been a fault of his, the way he lets his feelings affect his play and subsequently the team, he wasn't arsed yesterday or at least he didn't look arsed.

My head tells me we have been here before! I don't know to be honest, it might be better all around if he does go but I pray to Fowler that that doesn't happen.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about who we should sell if we had to. Unfortunately I wonder if Gerrard is the best option. He's done amazing things for this club but he's not getting any younger, his game is alot about his pace and power so it might be the best time to cash in - as horrible a thought as that may be.

I think it's one or a mixture of these tbh:

1) He's finished

2) He's still injured

3) Stringy's theory

Personally I'm hoping it is Stringy's theory. If its (1) then obviously we're fucked, if its (2) then there is a good chance it will cause (1) - again we're fucked. If it's (3) there are a couple of possibilities. Make Rafa sell Kuyt and our fortunes will immediately improve; Kuyt is a wrecking ball in our team. Otherwise get rid of Rafa and Kuyt by proxy. Hopefully then our form will improve. Jobs a good'un. Ideally Rafa would recognise that his footballing philosophy is fundamentally wrong and that Kuyt isn't actually the perfect footballer. A by-product of this though is that Rafa's head might actually explode - "computer says "no"".

There was a thread a few weeks ago about who we should sell if we had to. Unfortunately I wonder if Gerrard is the best option. He's done amazing things for this club but he's not getting any younger, his game is alot about his pace and power so it might be the best time to cash in - as horrible a thought as that may be.

I despair of our support sometimes, from growing up as a young lad in the boys pen, being educated on the finer points of the game by elders who you listened to for their experience and being nationally regarded as the "most knowledgeable fans in the game" we have some complete idiots in our ranks.

This is not aimed at you Ed, it's just one of many opinions that make me despair.

Here we have a "Captain Fantastic" (there's a clue for a question coming up) who has been by far and away the best player of a generation. Sought after by other teams at home and abroad. A player who's ability can lift the performance of team-mates all over the park. A Player who when fit and in the mood can make a tackle that can turn the game, play a pass that will defy logic to set up a goal, can simply strike fear into an opposition by BEING ON THE PARK. Yes he's suffering with little niggles this season but that doesn't mean he's finished by any stretch of the imagination.

There was another player who's team had gone a long long time without winning a title and a manager who was struggling at the time to win his first title decided to keep this player on the staff and not "Cash in on him". That managers faith paid very very high rewards as the wait ended very quickly.

Any idea who I'm talking about?

If this club gets rid of Stephen Gerrard it is simply an admission to the rest of the football world that WE ARE FINISHED as a force.

Don't see the point in dropping him or sacking him as captain at this stage of the season.

Depending on what happens in the summer (finances, ownership, new manager etc) I'd think long and hard about whether it'd be best to sell him while we could still get good money.

I would agree with this.

Another point as well.

Comparing him to either Dirk, Nando, Mascherano, Pepe or Lucas misses the point.

They are not local lads, born reds, playing for the club that they know is loved by freinds and family alike. He might be pissed off at Rafa, the Parasites, Sammy Lee, Dirk, Agger, Nando or Pelligrino.

But surely the minute he walked onto the pitch at Wigan and looked to his left, he must have thought thats who I am playing for!

Based on form, sure he should be dropped. But then we have the unknown stuff + the intangibles. The only one to know about those is Rafa. At the moment, unfortunately, Gerrard is on the long list of "sort out", rather than on the way shorter list of "solutions".

If I played for the team I've adored since I was a kid which has been in the bowels of mediocrity for years, and I had given everything I had to give to the club. I'd be a bit pissed off with the shite I was being harboured with.

I'd also (if I were you folks) try and look further afield than at our captain. Torres has just got back on form and there have only really been Reina who has consistently peforming this season.

Guest PurpleNose
If I played for the team I've adored since I was a kid which has been in the bowels of mediocrity for years, and I had given everything I had to give to the club. I'd be a bit pissed off with the shite I was being harboured with.

This is the only bit that would matter to me.

No motivation, doesnt look interested, head is dropped, passing is poor, looks slow.. etc etc. If it was anyone else they would've been dropped instantly.

I really feel its time he was dropped and Aquillani comes in. Our captain has been awful this season and isnt influencing any game. Aquillani on the other hand looks hungry, confident and is dying to play. Gerrard is dying to hide and its only fair he's replaced.

Yesterday as a captain he was also poor. He didnt try and calm down Torres or Mascherano.. whenever there was a scuffle or incident, he didnt get involved. He was the invisible man.

Thoughts lads?

Gerard as you quite rightly pointed out, has had an awful season to date. The million dollar question is why?

IMO, its one of two reasons:

The grapvine reports a torrid personal life at present and would justify his mind being elsewhere!

or

He doesn't want to be at the club but won't hand in a transfer request because he will alienate himself from the supporters and lose quite alot of cash.

If Rafa drops him he will be crusified if he sticks with him he could also be crucified, so damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Me personally, I would probably stick with him because as others have pointed out, 50% of Gerrard is better than most. However, when the likes of Park are outplaying you its time to reflect?

Edited by LFC Ultra
spelling

This is the only bit that would matter to me.

It depends on how ambitious you are.

If it was me and I had given everything I could to the club, I would think about leaving to experience other things.

And get the club I loved a big massive transfer fee while I could.

If Stevie decides to leave I wouldn't hold anything against him.

He could leave knowing he give absolutely everything he had to give to the club.

And I for one appreciate that.

I'd also (if I were you folks) try and look further afield than at our captain. Torres has just got back on form and there have only really been Reina who has consistently peforming this season.

You're right Malark, but how long is he allowed to sulk for? Agree on Pepe, he's the only member of the squad who can feel any pride in wearing the shirt this season.

Guest PurpleNose
It depends on how ambitious you are.

If it was me and I had given everything I could to the club, I would think about leaving to experience other things.

And get the club I loved a big massive transfer fee while I could.

If Stevie decides to leave I wouldn't hold anything against him.

He could leave knowing he give absolutely everything he had to give to the club.

And I for one appreciate that.

I'd want to play in Spain at some point if I was a professional footballer, and I'd be quite open about it.

I wouldn't let it effect how I played for the club I supported though.

I'd be more vocal about the owners, knowing my status at the club.

I'd also be very vocal behind the scenes towards the manager. Let him know the football we're playing, or even attempting to play, isn't good enough. I don't know how many, if any, discussions of this nature have taken place between Gerrard and Benitez.

I just think there are much better ways he could show his displeasure at the current situation at the club.

I wouldn't hold it against him if he left the club. But that doesn't excuse how he's playing.