You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Motorcycle?

Kenyanspeed

This bike is just a stepping stone bike. I eventually want to get a Suzuki B-King.

Fuck off the hideous standard cans and replace with a custom under sump can with stumpy outlets and they are stunning.

Something like this...

neatkingum6.jpg

Didn't like them to start with but after a test ride they are fucking mental with a slightly de-tuned Hayabusa engine and superb running gear they are surprisingly chuckable for a big bike.

That one has been customised quite a lot hasn't it?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Big Green Bastard

Sorry to post this a few hours late.

LIDL

Spent £65 today on extra bike gear, Gloves,boots,waterproof suit they all work fine.

• 1 month later...

Some bikers may scoff at this, but i'm considering modding 'CillaBlacksFanny'125.

Will hope to fit this year a leo vince sbk mk ii exhaust to increase power slightly and because the stock exhaust is just completely shit as regards to rust prevention.

Also contemplating fitting a led strip that will act as a rev counter on the dashboard.

The first mod will be to simply stick on some reflective wheel trim tape, a £10 investment in saving my life.

What mods have you guys put on? i've seen a youtube video of a guy who has fitted a turbo and an airshifter to a bandit 1200.

Here's the vid:

[YOUTUBE]FhO_eJ-a-Ig[/YOUTUBE]

I used to help out at a bike shop on saturday mornings and one of the regulars there had a turbo on his 1200 Bandit. I'm not going to lie, that bike utterly terrified me. It had nearly 200bhp and it all came in one great big massive rush at the top end of the revs. The boost on it was way too high. It was almost unrideable. Turbo lag on a motorbike is really not ideal!

for the cost of £8 at halfords i have now created a tron lightcycle! happy days!

If you look closely to the top left, i also have a manual chainoiler called a 'loobman' (£20), give it a squeeze before a journey and its good to go. So far i've had 5000miles out of the new chain with 1 tiny adjustment. Oil will go everywhere though and i mean it will go alll over the inside of the rear tyre and up into the back of the engine and rear hugger assembly. This mess is a small price to pay as i should get 35000miles out of 1 chain!

If anyone is interested in making one, it can be made with a hamster bottle, some brewing piping and a t-connector for delivery to both sides of the chain, to mount the t-connector in the right position on the sprocket will require a coat hanger bent around the swingarm. It's possible to make your own 'Scatoiler' for roughly £5. If any needs any help in building one then just ask and i will send detailed photos.

tronbike.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...

Alright lads, I'm looking at getting my first motorbike when Im 21 at the end of June, just after some recommendations.

I'm riding an Aprilia Habana 125 at the moment, something like this but with an L plate on the front and back:

media?id=1620280203

I love how quick it is, love taking off at traffic lights getting infront of the slow people in cars.

I went to the place where I took my CBT the other day and asked about lessons, and the guy said he would be surprised if I needed more than 2, it's just about getting my mind into a geared bike state. I've already got the basic riding stuff, just need to learn how to use a different kind of bike. He also pointed at a massive looking Kawasaki ??5 and said that would be perfect for a first bike and would only cost about £1000. I'm not looking at spending much more than that on it, so if you have any recommendations, and anything to say about how many lessons you think I would need, please reply.

As far as bikes go, I'd like something in the style of a harley davidson, something that you sit on rather than lean across. I don't know what that style is called. Although I'd take pretty much anything I like the look of.

The kwaki er5 is a good first time big bike, cheap to insure and good fuel economy. For lessons i would have a word with a biker mate, if you have any, and see if he will show you the ropes with the gears. Best to practice slow controlled turns and fig'8's first to get used to it.

Try biketrader, off the top of my head i would guess a year 2000 model er5 for a grand, it will be the mileage that will push the price down.

Similar size of bike and eassy as a falling off a bike to learn to ride is the suzuki GS500.

suzuki_gs500.jpg

Comes unfaired or

GS_500_FK8_K8_08_1.jpg

With a full fairing.

Quick as fuck for a first big bike a really good fun.

There's 1000s out there and they're cheap as chips too.

Secondhand / used suzuki gs500 Motorbikes & Scooters for Sale United Kingdom

Happy hunting and happy biking.

That's a good option the GS, what you should go for is something that you have sat on and felt comfortable on. Riding position is the key factor. If you prefer the moped/upright style, then a commuter/motocross style of bike may suit you better.

Try a few bikes in showrooms and then buy a secondhand model.

Another bike i would suggest is the suzy dr400, alot of bikers have these as everyday commuters and the chunky tyres are ideal for the winter conditions.

Suzuki_DRZ400SM_st1pz.jpg

I'll have a look round for showrooms to go for a visit on wednesday, good idea that, thanks.

I hadn't really looked at motorcross style bikes but suppose its an obvious choice if thats the riding position I'd like. But yea, I'll have a sit on a few and get thinking. Thanks fellas.

I'll have a look round for showrooms to go for a visit on wednesday, good idea that, thanks.

I hadn't really looked at motorcross style bikes but suppose its an obvious choice if thats the riding position I'd like. But yea, I'll have a sit on a few and get thinking. Thanks fellas.

As green said, the Kwak EN/ER range are great starter bikes. My first 'big' bike was an FZ6 (Yamaha Fazer) and it was superb. Others I was always advised are the Honda Hornet and the Bandit 600. Currently riding a 1250 Bandit but moving back to something more sporty soon.

Also, biggest showroom I know of at the moment which has a good range of bikes is Marriott Motorcycles on the Wirral.

As far as bikes go, I'd like something in the style of a harley davidson, something that you sit on rather than lean across. I don't know what that style is called

Cruiser (think Harley), tourer/sports tourer (think bandit, triumph sprint) or sit-up-and-beg is the term usually used for a bike that doesn't have you in the superman position. Hope you find the right bike for you, keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...
That's a good option the GS, what you should go for is something that you have sat on and felt comfortable on. Riding position is the key factor. If you prefer the moped/upright style, then a commuter/motocross style of bike may suit you better.

Try a few bikes in showrooms and then buy a secondhand model.

Another bike i would suggest is the suzy dr400, alot of bikers have these as everyday commuters and the chunky tyres are ideal for the winter conditions.

Suzuki_DRZ400SM_st1pz.jpg

Thats the SM ( Supermoto ) model BGB. Have one myself, serious fun :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Sssshhhhheeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttt.

Going into work for some overtime to pay for mod1+2 test next month and on my usual 'dualcarriageway of death' route (no speed cams for 30 miles) my cush drive rubbers went!

Thought i had a flat rear (ooeeerrr) to begin with, checked mirrors for traffic behind, none visible, pulled onto hard shoulder as nearest layby was 2 miles. First time ever i've used the hard shoulder.

Took hi-vis jacket off and stuck it on the back of the bike as my bike doesn't have hazards. First thing i checked was the main drive, most notably the chain. Chain was incredibly slack so checked the rear sprocket and noticed rubbers were missing. Found 2 of them 10 yards behind me due to changing down into 1st gear.

Felt relieved i identified the problem immediately before trying to set off again and possibly causing more damage. Also felt relief from still having my left leg intact in case the chain snapped.

Got the AA recovery out, it turns out i'm more than 10 miles from home and the Relay cover that the AA provide. Cost me £64 to upgrade just to get the bike home from the middle of nowhere, and then there is the repair bill on top.

I don't consider my yearly service and repair bills to be too bad to be honest, here is a breakdown of my first years costs for learner bikers that travel vast distances on a CBF125.

1. Petrol = £884 p.a. (could be slighlty less)

2. Service = £600 p.a. (every 2500miles=6 services)

3. Repairs = £200 p.a. (new chain/sprocket + rear tyre + rear bearings, nothing major)

4. Oil = £100 p.a. (i change the oil monthly to protect the miles the engine does)

5. Insurance = £200 (fully comp, no driving licence on a cbt, 35 years old)

Total = £1984

The bike originally cost me £1800!!!

Bear in my this does include the petrol/insurance cost based on 12000 miles per year.

So £800+ a year to do 12k on a cbf125, when i look at it like this it seems kinda comforting.

Paying huge bills at once does not!

In a way i'm glad when things go wrong with the bike, it teaches me more about fixing it myself to try and save cash.

All the best

Phil.

Worn cushdrive rubbers can be handily brought back to life with a mallet and a cut-up inner tube. Use the bits of innertube to wrap around the rubbers and tap the sprocket back in, jobs a goodun.

Oil changes, you don't need to use the best oil if you're changing it that often. Anything that matches the API rating in the handbook (my 550 only asks for a SF oil) will do.

Bike maintainance is a piece of piss for most parts, well worth getting a Haynes Book of Lies and getting into it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting nearer the time now and am still looking at what kind of bike to get, it now appears Im just taking my lessons/test for my birthday present from the mother, and then in August when the insurance/mot/tax is up on the scooter, getting the bike. Im not sure how its gonna go, learning to ride a bike in June, then not actually riding one for two months, but anyway.

I've spoken to my brother about it who thinks its a bad idea, and he said I am limited to a 125cc for a couple of years? I was under the impression that when I turned 21 (with a full license of course), I could ride whatever size engine I liked?

That's not a problem, since any bike I get will be faster than my scooter, but is this the case? If so I need to change what kind of bike I'm looking at on autotrader...

Getting nearer the time now and am still looking at what kind of bike to get, it now appears Im just taking my lessons/test for my birthday present from the mother, and then in August when the insurance/mot/tax is up on the scooter, getting the bike. Im not sure how its gonna go, learning to ride a bike in June, then not actually riding one for two months, but anyway.

I've spoken to my brother about it who thinks its a bad idea, and he said I am limited to a 125cc for a couple of years? I was under the impression that when I turned 21 (with a full license of course), I could ride whatever size engine I liked?

That's not a problem, since any bike I get will be faster than my scooter, but is this the case? If so I need to change what kind of bike I'm looking at on autotrader...

If you are under 21 then you have to take the standard test which then allows you to ride a bike up to 33 BHP so a 250 -400 depending on the bike or any bike which has been restricted to 33BHP. I would advise going for a bike designed for that amount of power rather than a resricted bigger bike, the 2 years will go pretty fast and you will get alot of experience in the process. If you are over 21 you can take a direct access course that allows you to ride any size bike straight away but it's alot more exspensive.