You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

world press photos of the year

neko

Am I the only one who thinks that the one that won isn't that great?

I agree.

I though the Bhutto one with the back of her head to the camera and a crowd in front of her was better.

It's a shame that only the grim ones are often considered 'great' these days, its should be about the overall quality of the shot rather than the fact it's set in a Baghdad suburb and features someone crying, afterall, I'm sure there's plenty of them sadly.

i guess when i first looked at it, it seemed to sum up the 'war on terror'.

like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

looking at it again, i tend to agree that there are many other worthy shots.

p.s. it was in afghanistan, not iraq.

"This image shows the exhaustion of a man - and the exhaustion of a nation," says jury chairman Gary Knight, and adds "We're all connected to this. It's a picture of a man at the end of a line." Fellow juror MaryAnne Golon commented: "I use all my energy to have people notice bad things. There's a human quality to this picture. It says that conflict is the basis of this man's life."

i guess when i first looked at it, it seemed to sum up the 'war on terror'.

like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

looking at it again, i tend to agree that there are many other worthy shots.

p.s. it was in afghanistan, not iraq.

"This image shows the exhaustion of a man - and the exhaustion of a nation," says jury chairman Gary Knight, and adds "We're all connected to this. It's a picture of a man at the end of a line." Fellow juror MaryAnne Golon commented: "I use all my energy to have people notice bad things. There's a human quality to this picture. It says that conflict is the basis of this man's life."

they should've taken a shot of him having a shit on the latreen and reading a spiderman comic, it would've gotten over the same message and had extra artistic quality to it.

Pictures with soldiers in them are just so 'Viet Nam' it's untrue, it's 2008, let's get this show on the road ffs.