You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

WANTED: A striker who can hold the ball up and link play ..

HJohal

Wanted ... 23-28 year old striker who can hold the ball up to link play with the many attacking midfield talent available in the Liverpool squad. The ability to score goals on a fairly regular basis would be an added bonus ! Budget: ~ 10M

A gaping black hole in our squad ... Kenwyn Jones was heavily linked in January however gone cold since as far as this type of player is concerned ... not sure if Remy fits the criteria ...

Any sensible suggestions?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PurpleNose

Love to see Pazzini or Llorente here. Fear both would be more like £15m/£20m.

£10m gets you a pretty shite striker now unless you take a gamble on a relative unknown.

Height: 1,93m

Weight: 88kg

Stats last 3 seasons:

09/10:

PL: 33(22+11) - 10 goals

FA: 5(3+2) - 6 goals

CC: 3(1+2) - 0 goals

Total: 41(26+15) - 16 goals

08/09:

PL: 27(18+9) - 11 goals

FA: 2(2+0) - 1 goal

CC: 1(1+0) - 0 goals

UEFA: 2(2+0) - 2 goals

Total : 32(23+9) - 14 goals

07/08:

PL: 32(32+0) - 13 goals

FA: 1(1+0) - 0 goals

Total: 33(33+0) - 13 goals

This striker has only one year left of his contract and when it comes to holding up the ball I`m not sure if there is anyone better in the business, he is also blessed with pace and our current manager was linked with a move earlier in the spring.

Guest PurpleNose

Height: 1,93m

Weight: 88kg

Stats last 3 seasons:

09/10:

PL: 33(22+11) - 10 goals

FA: 5(3+2) - 6 goals

CC: 3(1+2) - 0 goals

Total: 41(26+15) - 16 goals

08/09:

PL: 27(18+9) - 11 goals

FA: 2(2+0) - 1 goal

CC: 1(1+0) - 0 goals

UEFA: 2(2+0) - 2 goals

Total : 32(23+9) - 14 goals

07/08:

PL: 32(32+0) - 13 goals

FA: 1(1+0) - 0 goals

Total: 33(33+0) - 13 goals

This striker has only one year left of his contract and when it comes to holding up the ball I`m not sure if there is anyone better in the business, he is also blessed with pace and our current manager was linked with a move earlier in the spring.

He is not blessed with pace.

I assume you're talking about Carew, what with him being Norwegian.

Seems like Carew alright not a bad option to be honest, personally i'd sell Babel,Riera,Aqua and get Jovetic, fantastic talent,big lad and only 20 destroyed us (Foward,Link,Wing), obviously not gonna happen, just can't see where Aqua will fit in although maybe best to give him chance to boost fee back up and offload in January if he still not fitting in.

He is not blessed with pace.

I assume you're talking about Carew, what with him being Norwegian.

Its Carew, I just wanted to leave his name out of it because I knew someone would play the Norway card which is pretty tiresome to be honest.

Carew has got loads of pace though, maybe not on the first 5 yards but he will beat most players over 15-20.

Together with his attacking abilities he would be a great addition when we are defending set pieces since he is superb in the air and strong as an ox.

Like I said he has only one year left of his contract with Villa and he could be the cheap, experienced short term option we are looking for to bolster our attack.

He was linked with a move to Fulham in the Norwegian press earlier this year as well, so with Hodgson now here I thought I should mention it.

Edited by Code72

Its Carew, I just wanted to leave his name out of it because I knew someone would play the Norway card which is pretty tiresome to be honest.

Carew has got loads of pace though, maye not on the first 5 yards but he will beat most players over 15-20.

Good shout for sure mate

We could do far worse than Zamora. He's a bit of a late bloomer but his technical ability really seems to have come on recently - he was absolutely immense in the Europa league last year.

Presume we won't be in for him due to the supposed agreement between Roy and Fulham. Huntelaar might be worth a look at depending on funds & whether Milan will let him go. It's a pity we didn't sign Higuain when Real Madrid were interested in getting shot because he'd probably do a job too.

Crouch.

Not blessed with pace, but he holds up the ball and links up with players - as well as any other striker in the Premiership.

Carew would be a good signing for us. Probably cheapish too which might make it possible to get a pacy forward in as well so we'd have four to choose from, if Roy wants to go 4-4-2.

No he wont.

He is useless and often goes three months without a goal. A terrible first touch, a really weak shot for such a big strong man. I can gurantee you that if he signs he would be even more frustrating than Kuyt with his poor poor finishing ability.

Seeing Carew play for Liverpool would be a sad day.

Crouch.

Not blessed with pace, but he holds up the ball and links up with players - as well as any other striker in the Premiership.

Depending on what formation we're envisioning, I don't think a player like Crouch offers enough. To challenge for the league or even the top 4 with a 4-5-1 I think the forward man has to be somebody who can not only hold the ball up and link play but also has the pace to get in behind and the ability to beat a man with the ball at his feet.

Not saying Crouchy's bad on the deck but he's not the sort who regularly skins players or gets in behind the defense. Drog/Anelka/Rooney/Van Persie all have both aspects to their game. Conversely I don't think that playing a smaller or more lithe CF in the role is necessarily the way to go either. Just as an example, Spain looked a lot better when Villa was playing on the left of the spearhead rather than through the middle.

NGog will hopefully be a decent back-up for us in a couple of years (although not ready yet) because he has both elements to his game. In the meantime we'll probably have to pay decent money to get a player who can run in behind as well as holding the ball up because they are at a premium.

No he wont.

He is useless and often goes three months without a goal. A terrible first touch, a really weak shot for such a big strong man. I can gurantee you that if he signs he would be even more frustrating than Kuyt with his poor poor finishing ability.

Seeing Carew play for Liverpool would be a sad day.

My opinion of him is primarily based on how he performs against us and in the bigger games, I must admit. In those he always seem to make the defenders work really hard and he always seem to create chances either for himself or others.

If he stinks the place out for long periods of time between those games, then I agree that we should steer clear.

I think there is a perception that this type of striker has to be a muscled 6ft + target man. Ideally this is the kind of player I would like to avoid on the basis that it is likely to encourage some of our defenders to constantly take the easy option and look long ...

My ideal type of player in this role would in the mould of Tevez or Rooney - strong, technically gifted, mobile and intelligent.

My opinion of him is primarily based on how he performs against us and in the bigger games, I must admit. In those he always seem to make the defenders work really hard and he always seem to create chances either for himself or others.

If he stinks the place out for long periods of time between those games, then I agree that we should steer clear.

In every club he has ever signe for he scores a few goals early on... plays well and the it dries up, and usually he gets sold pretty quickly. His stay at Villa is probably his longest stay at one club.

His finishing is also infuriating inconsistent. Like Heskey he can be unplayable on his day... But those days are too few and far between.