You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Henderson: We had some unfinished business to take of

TLW

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson says that missing out on the title in heartbreaking fashion only fuelled the fire within the squad to put things right this season.

While the title was officially clinched a few weeks back, the Reds had to wait until the final home game to claim the cherished piece of silverware.

And to celebrate the occasion, the Reds produced quite a display defeating top four aspirants Chelsea 5-3 with a number of world-class goals throughout the contest.

While Henderson was not on the pitch due to a knee injury suffered against Brighton, that did not stop him doing iconic ‘Hendo shuffle on the victory dais.

The skipper told Sky Sports (via the Official site) that coming so close to knocking off Man City last season was major inspiration to the squad in the lead up to this memorable campaign.

“It makes it even more special. 

“After last season, getting 97 points and not winning it was hard to take, but then we reacted a few weeks later and won the Champions League. 

“At the start of the Premier League season we knew we had unfinished business. 

“It’s been an amazing season and I’m so thankful that I’m part of this club and part of this team that has managed to get the Premier League after 30 years.

Henderson reflected on the journey that he has been on as a Liverpool player and said that the hard yards is what makes this season so special.

“The Premier League has been a dream of mine since I was a kid and that was one of the reasons why I wanted to come to Liverpool – you want to win trophies and the expectations are so high. But when you come as a young player, it’s so difficult. It’s been a process, a journey and it hasn’t happened overnight. 

“Over the past five years since the gaffer came in, it’s been a process, a journey and every single player has been a part of that journey. 

Hendo also said that while the celebrations will certainly be memorable and well earned, they know in a few weeks they will have to start all over again.

“To finish the season off like this has been really special. We can enjoy tonight but, after this, next season is going to be a big challenge for us. I thought tonight we showed the mentality again to come and perform like we did, and get the result we did.

The ever humble leader shrugged off any individual praise for his fine campaign and instead pointed at his teammates saying the unity and friendship within the squad is second to none.

henderson1.jpg

“That’s the most important thing – it’s a team. 

“Of course, you’re going to have individuals that perform but the most important thing is the team. We’re always there together for each other, it’s a really close group – as you can see – and that’s off the field and on the field. 

“It makes a massive difference and it’s another thing the gaffer has brought since he’s come in: that togetherness in the dressing room. It has made a really big difference on the pitch.

View full article

Guest Pistonbroke

“The Premier League has been a dream of mine since I was a kid and that was one of the reasons why I wanted to come to Liverpool'

Chuffed to bits for him. He divides fans but always gives 100%, a captain who you want. If klopp wants you to be the leader then you are doing something right. 

If he does divide fans then, really, he shouldn’t. Whenever Jordan isn’t in the side, you notice it. Over time he’s proved, I believe beyond doubt, that his presence in our midfield is pivotal to our better performances. Look at how we’ve struggled since his injury recently, our defence has been exposed more and, probably due to some drop off due to having won the league already as well, we’ve conceded the most number of goals per game in that period than we have all season. Jordan would’ve been out there shouting, directing, cajoling and, yes, captaining the team and demanding no drop off in performance even though the league was won.

He won’t always be able to command in that way, but he’s got to a point in his career now where he is the most influential captain in the Premier League.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

“The Premier League has been a dream of mine since I was a kid and that was one of the reasons why I wanted to come to Liverpool'

Chuffed to bits for him. He divides fans but always gives 100%, a captain who you want. If klopp wants you to be the leader then you are doing something right. 

I don’t there’s any division in the fans on him now really. The vast majority, of not all, recognise what a great player he’s become, as well as a strong leader and role model. He’s the bee’s knees.

Our unfinished business is with Atletico Madrid.

Real robbed in Kiev, so we responded by winning the European cup in their city.

Man City outlasted us last year, and we responded by shoving a 20 point lead down their throat and making them applauded us onto the pitch as champions.

Tell Diego Simeone, we're coming for him, next year. And tell him that the Lannisters are not the only ones who pay their debts.

• Upvote 1