You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our style of play

Rashid

Most reds I know who were there during the glory days of the late seventies say that Liverpool were like a machine much like the great AC Milan sides of Arigo Sacchi (a man who is much admired by Rafael Benitez). So what does this machine entail and what type of line up can we expect from Benitez? Others in the nineties always relate the 1988 season as epitome of the ‘Liverpool Way’ of playing but although that appears to be our most attacking side it certainly was not the way we ‘had always played’. From videos I have seen we always played with pose and composure, we passed and move, we defended well and we were winners. We peaked in 1988 and had we been in Europe surely we would have won the European Cup.

In 1987 after losing Ian Rush, Kenny bought Beardsley from Newcastle, Aldridge from Oxford and Barnes from Watford for a combined fee of about £3.5M – it was a statement of intent that after losing one of our most influential players we could still survive. It also rekindled the link man forward line ala Kenny and Rushie with a new duo of Beardsley and Aldridge – a style that Benitez has favoured at Valencia with Aimar and Mista.

Valencia used solid center backs who were comfortable on the ball, two full backs who could defend better than they can attack but to balance that they used two out and out attacking wingers in Vicente and Refute. The center midfield duo of Albelda and Baraja not only provided strength it had composure and attacking intent.

So what of Liverpool now Benitez has arrived? From what I have seen of him this past 2-3 years he:

1. Always has players in their natural positions.

2. Likes strong players at the back and in center midfield.

3. Plays 3 attacking midfielders behind one front man.

4. Likes him teams to have a solid base from which to attack from – ie – if the team cannot win it certainly will not lose mentally.

5. He likes to rotate his teams but the same line up always play the big games (discounting Aimar being dropped due to loss of fitness for the Uefa Cup Final).

Very much like how Houllier tried to get Liverpool to play but his cautious nature and need to play certain trusted players at all cost meant that he tried too hard to fill round holes with square pegs.

These are very exciting times to be a red and I am so looking forward to seeing a style of play as Benitez said “a combination of Liverpool and Valencia” so a team like this would be no surprise.

Kirkland

Finnan (New CB) Hyypia Carragher

(new RM) Gerarrd (new CM) Kewell

Owen Cisse

We have four strikers at the club who are not link men but we do have players who can play that role, like Kewell, Le Tallec and Smicer but this would mean that one of the strikers do not play and with such an abundance of talent I believe Benitez will play Owen and Cisse or Baros.

Which leads me to my last point in that I think Owen could well be our very own Raul and play just off the front man. Scoring goals but also creating things, running at players, being a little more deeper and behind the electric pace of Baros or Cisse. It would be a new role for the boy wonder but one I feel could well be the making of him as Owen has far more to his game than just as a striker.

Most interesting of all will the signings Rafael Benitez makes to play a style he believes will have us challenging again.

How does playing Carragher at left back tie in with "playing players in their natural positions"? Surely that would mean playing Carragher at right back, or arguably centre half, with Riise at left back?

As usual, I can't tell if this post is Rashid's work or he's just pasted it from somewhere else...

How does playing Carragher at left back tie in with "playing players in their natural positions"? Surely that would mean playing Carragher at right back, or arguably centre half, with Riise at left back?

As usual, I can't tell if this post is Rashid's work or he's just pasted it from somewhere else...

I only post my own work, and always quote others. Carra at Left back is his best position - just because he is not left footed does not mean he is not good there - although you do have a point, he may well play RB.

I think there's a good chance Rafa will sign a couple of big names now (at least we don't have to listen to Houllier's bullcrap about how we've just '....signed a new player called Steven Gerrard!!') but I also understand he likes to make use of the squad/reserve team, so I think there'll be a fair few of the young lads getting their chance this season.

New CM: Mannix?

New RB: Otsemobor

New CB: Carra

I think Benni is the man to get the best out of players like Smicer, and I think he's probably delighted at the quality of our academy right now!

AS for the style of play, I gather he starts with the defence and goes from there so I think we can expect a fairly boring start until he knows his best players going forward.....it's very exciting though.

Personally I hope and think the back 4 will be

finnan henchoz hyypia carragher.

I think no-one can judge finnan on last season, that is completely unfair. He had 2 spells out injured and for me he did what he was told by the manager, ie do pass the half way line. On numerous occasion I saw him check his run at the half way line. Give him next season.

Personally I hope and think the back 4 will be

finnan henchoz hyypia carragher.

I think no-one can judge finnan on last season, that is completely unfair. He had 2 spells out injured and for me he did what he was told by the manager, ie do pass the half way line. On numerous occasion I saw him check his run at the half way line. Give him next season.

I don't think Finnan is a bad player by any means. I just don't think he's up to it at the highest level.

He's quietly effective and goes about his job ina professional manner, but hs not the defence minded but attacking RB (if that makes sense) that we were led to beleive he was.

But saying that, I remember how good he was before we signed him, so perhaps another season to prove himself is fair.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I really can't see him being a Liverpool regular next seson.

We have four strikers at the club who are not link men but we do have players who can play that role, like Kewell, Le Tallec and Smicer but this would mean that one of the strikers do not play and with such an abundance of talent I believe Benitez will play Owen and Cisse or Baros.

Which leads me to my last point in that I think Owen could well be our very own Raul and play just off the front man. Scoring goals but also creating things, running at players, being a little more deeper and behind the electric pace of Baros or Cisse. It would be a new role for the boy wonder but one I feel could well be the making of him as Owen has far more to his game than just as a striker.

Most interesting of all will the signings Rafael Benitez makes to play a style he believes will have us challenging again.

Nice piece, Rashid.

But I don't think Owen has the skills to fit that role. He don't have the technique to recieve passes facing "the wrong way". He is not creative enough to feed the strikers, and his shooting from outside the box is terrible. He should be used at what he do (or did?) best, getting passes behind the opponents defenders allowing him to use his pace, and looking for rebounds in the box.

I think Kewell, Smicer or ALT could play that role though.

My lineup would be (subs in brackets):

Kirkland (dudek)

Carra-Hyypia-new CD-Riise (Henchoz)

Gerrard-Hamann-New CM (Murphy)

Kewell (smicer)

Baros-Cisse (Owen)

Whit the mandatory injuries we still have players like ALT, Pongolle, Finnan, Welsh and others ready to step in.

I don't think Finnan is a bad player by any means. I just don't think he's up to it at the highest level.

But saying that, I remember how good he was before we signed him, so perhaps another season to prove himself is fair.

I'm almost certain he was the premierships best right back (PFA team of the year) for two out of the three years before we bought him, with Carr been the other year.

As Tom R said give him a chance and he will be very good - he had a horrible time last season with injuries

I'm almost certain he was the premierships best right back (PFA team of the year) for two out of the three years before we bought him, with Carr been the other year.

As Tom R said give him a chance and he will be very good - he had a horrible time last season with injuries

I'd give him another chance but before and after he was injured last year he didn't look half the player his reputation suggested, he wasn't as good defensively as Carra or as Riise attacking, for me he just seemed to offer nothing and I would have preferred to see more of Semmy. But as you say, he deserves another chance.

Finnan did nothing whatsoever last season to impress me. Can't defend, clueless going forward. Semmy's cameo's ( particularly the majestic run against Southampton - which was the only saving grace to a terrible team performance ) did more to convince me that he is a far better prospect than Finnan.

As I have said I have faith in him, also please remember he had diouf in front of him which basically meant it was 2 on 1 against him when defending becuase i.m.o. diouf is completely useless. I cant believe people are attempting to comment on his attacking capabilities given the style of play under Houllier.

Why would he be given stick, Kewell did very little and he seems to be getting off scot free. He was totally lazy in most games.

As I have said I have faith in him, also please remember he had diouf in front of him which basically meant it was 2 on 1 against him when defending becuase i.m.o. diouf is completely useless. I cant believe people are attempting to comment on his attacking capabilities given the style of play under Houllier.

Why would he be given stick, Kewell did very little and he seems to be getting off scot free. He was totally lazy in most games.

I think Kewell had an excellent season up until Christmas.

He was carrying an injury for the rest of it which he has had an opertaion on this summer. It's a bit unfair to slate him just yet imo.

He might not have een fully committing himself in the tackle etc, but when you're playing with an injury then I can forgive that.

Houllier shoudl have rested him instead of playing him.

At least in Kewell's case he looks like he has more in him - unlike Finnan.

Kewell also came out and said he`s been crap, and that he would`nt blame anything other than himself. No injuries...No manager...just himself.

That was very good to hear, a player not hiding, and other players should take notice. I expect big things from Harry this year!

Completely disagree mate, Diouf is taking some stick on here and its probably warranted, his attitude is poor, his final ball poor and his finishing is diabolical but for me he works hard up and down the flank and early on in the season Finnan would have been completely f#cked without Diouf's help. Diouf had a poor season like most in the team but he showed more promise early on than Finnan did, thats for sure!

I think Kewell had an excellent season up until Christmas.

He was carrying an injury for the rest of it which he has had an opertaion on this summer. It's a bit unfair to slate him just yet imo.

He might not have een fully committing himself in the tackle etc, but when you're playing with an injury then I can forgive that.

Houllier shoudl have rested him instead of playing him.

Everyone seems to be slating Finnan eventhough he was out for long periods with injury yet it seems fine to put Kewells poor form down to injury

Everyone seems to be slating Finnan eventhough he was out for long periods with injury yet it seems fine to put Kewells poor form down to injury

Perhaps you're right mate......... but I'm afraid you're not. ;-)

Kewell was fantastic before he got injured. Finnan was crap before AND after he got injured.

It's as simple as that really.

I'm prepare dto give him anotehr shot as I think we're all agreed that we haven't yet seen the player we signed.

Funny how its the Irish contingent who are supporting Finnan.....

Maybe that could be some of the reason but i think we have seen over the last few years that he is a top quality defender - even if he hasnt yet produced that type of form for Liverpool. Remember not only was he out with injuries twice last year but when we signed him he was also carrying a knock and supposedly he has never fully got over it.

Hopefully with the summer off he will be back performing to the high standard that we sawe while he was at Fulham and also playing for Ireland

Maybe that could be some of the reason but i think we have seen over the last few years that he is a top quality defender - even if he hasnt yet produced that type of form for Liverpool. Remember not only was he out with injuries twice last year but when we signed him he was also carrying a knock and supposedly he has never fully got over it.

Hopefully with the summer off he will be back performing to the high standard that we sawe while he was at Fulham and also playing for Ireland

Fair enough mate, I expect you seen alot more of him before last season than I did. I hope you are right and he turns it on this term!

If Finnan is ever good enough for Liverpool I will be very surprised. His defending was weak, his distribution poor and his crossing abysmal. I don't think he is a bad player as such, but he is just very average in my opinion. Can't say that his performances last season warrent him starting the season. Would rather have Carra or Semmy at RB and Riise at LB. Finnan as cover is fine, but as a regular.... i'm not too sure!

I was always impressed with Finnan when he was at Fulham, but he looks to me like the kind of player who just can't make the jump from a medium sized club to a big one. Even taking his injuries into account he looked out of his depth last season, and it'll take a lot of hard work and confidence-building to get him to the level where he can keep either Carra or Riise out of the team next season.

He's a decent player, but let's be honest, if we had a reasonable bid for him in the next few weeks there'd be few who'd be sad to see him go.