You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PS3 Problem

Bender

I take it that it's yellow for just the briefest of moments?

Any sign of a yellow light in instances such as these, usually indicates a hardware fault. This could be anything from power input connection to the BluRay drive. It also usually means that your machine is reaching the end of its natural life and will probably need some surgery to survive much longer, I'm afraid.

Do you know if you've got a game/disc in the drive at the moment, and have you ever run the backup utility to an external HD?

I take it that it's yellow for just the briefest of moments?

Any sign of a yellow light in instances such as these, usually indicates a hardware fault. This could be anything from power input connection to the BluRay drive. It also usually means that your machine is reaching the end of its natural life and will probably need some surgery to survive much longer, I'm afraid.

Do you know if you've got a game/disc in the drive at the moment, and have you ever run the backup utility to an external HD?

No

While the machine is in standby, it has been known for the PS3 to eject a disc by pressing and holding the eject button for a while.

I've also read that pressing and holding the power button on the machine itself has solved any potential issues, despite this being the procedure for resetting the display settings. After a while of holding the power button, the machine should beep a couple of times to notify you that it has reset its display settings. This is normally used when switching from one TV to another, where one is HD and the other is not.

Both are long shots, but are certainly worth trying before you think about taking it for repair, or buying a new console. It would also be worth removing all connections to the machine itself after trying the aforememtioned. Again, a long shot, but you never know...

will try that now mate.ok tried pressing and holding the power button but it just beeps twice and stays on a red light and keeps flashing

Now try powering on using the controller as normal.

As I say, this is a complete long shot, and I have my doubts that it will work, but anything is worth a go.

Are you on MSN or Yahoo! Messenger at all? May be easier than coming back and forth to this thread.

Now try powering on using the controller as normal.

As I say, this is a complete long shot, and I have my doubts that it will work, but anything is worth a go.

Are you on MSN or Yahoo! Messenger at all? May be easier than coming back and forth to this thread.

yes i can get onto msn i will sign on now

Its fooked I'm afraid.

My launch model 60GB went the same way a few months ago, so I got nearly 4 years out of it. I'm afraid these models have this fault hanging over them so to speak so you've done alright to get this far.

you can do a fix on it which is widely posted on the net, but there is no guarantee how long it will last. i'ts a basic design fault.

I got mine "repaired" just to get the disc out and do a back up then flogged it on ebay, got myself a slim 160gb.

Its fucked, mine had the same problem. Its YLOD as posted above. Design fault, you can get a repair for around £35-40. How long the repair lasts is anyones guess.

Its a disgrace really for a machine that cost so much.

Puts me off getting the next gen sony console and Ive always has playstations.