You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yellow card question

ReddOrDedd

Just watching the Manchester derby, and Ireland picked up a yellow for what I thought was not too bad a challenge. He'd already been penalised for a fairly bad tackle on Berbatov, the one that led to the goal.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is this: Does a player's previous conduct in a game officially have any bearing on whether he gets a card, or should the decision be taken solely on the basis of the foul that's being penalised itself?

Does anyone know the rule?

Just watching the Manchester derby, and Ireland picked up a yellow for what I thought was not too bad a challenge. He'd already been penalised for a fairly bad tackle on Berbatov, the one that led to the goal.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is this: Does a player's previous conduct in a game officially have any bearing on whether he gets a card, or should the decision be taken solely on the basis of the foul that's being penalised itself?

Does anyone know the rule?

A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of

the following seven offences:

1. is guilty of unsporting behaviour

2. shows dissent by word or action

3. persistently infringes the Laws of the Game

4. delays the restart of play

5. fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a

corner kick, free kick or throw-in

6. enters or re-enters the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission

7. deliberately leaves the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission

A substitute or substituted player is cautioned and shown the yellow

card if he commits any of the following three offences:

3. delays the restart of play

A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of

the following seven offences:

3. persistently infringes the Laws of the Game

4. delays the restart of play

5. fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a

corner kick, free kick or throw-in

6. enters or re-enters the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission

7. deliberately leaves the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission

A substitute or substituted player is cautioned and shown the yellow

card if he commits any of the following three offences:

3. delays the restart of play

Right, well then I suppose you can. Does leave quite a lot of leeway for interpretation, in terms of what the referee considers 'persistent'.

Is twice 'persistent'?

Guest davelfc
Right, well then I suppose you can. Does leave quite a lot of leeway for interpretation, in terms of what the referee considers 'persistent'.

Is twice 'persistent'?

My ex wife thought so.

Is twice 'persistent'?

If you read the rules and then watch how a game is refereed you will see that the vast majority of decisions come down to discretion. If the game were played strictly by the rules there would be a free kick every minute. There is so much inconsistency in football because the rules are in reality impractical. Look at the difference in how games are ref'd in Spain vs. here. Same rules, different interpretation.

If you read the rules and then watch how a game is refereed you will see that the vast majority of decisions come down to discretion. If the game were played strictly by the rules there would be a free kick every minute. There is so much inconsistency in football because the rules are in reality impractical. Look at the difference in how games are ref'd in Spain vs. here. Same rules, different interpretation.

True enough.

I was just curious about the yellow card question, but I think you answered that pretty clearly. Ta.