You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Computer Help Needed Please

Ian

I turned on my laptop today and i got a warning message saying that there was a problem with my DLL and this is known as rthdcpl.exe. I've googled it and i still don't have a fucking clue what it is. Anyone here know what it is and how i fix it ? Any help much appreciated. Also i did an AVG scan and a spyware terminator scan and they showed up nothing. I'm really confused now.

If it's like the virus I had it appears to replicate your system 32 folder. The extensions appear the same because by default they are shortened. What you have to do is go to tools/options/view and amend the settings then delete all the blag ones. Then run or your viral shit with system restore on and off and you should be sorted.

What I did was delete the genuine system 32 folder and I had to reformat.

If it's like the virus I had it appears to replicate your system 32 folder. The extensions appear the same because by default they are shortened. What you have to do is go to tools/options/view and amend the settings then delete all the blag ones. Then run or your viral shit with system restore on and off and you should be sorted.

What I did was delete the genuine system 32 folder and I had to reformat.

Sorry now but could you explain that in simpler terms, if you don't mind, because i don't know what you're on about there. How do i find the system 32 folder ? I'm very bad with computers, i can use the internet and itunes, that's about it.

I did that and i counted 13 different folders in there. They all seem normal accept for one which is just a lot of numbers and letters in the name. It just has a read me icon inside it which makes no sense either.

I did that and i counted 13 different folders in there. They all seem normal accept for one which is just a lot of numbers and letters in the name. It just has a read me icon inside it which makes no sense either.

Dude I'm sorry but I don't really have the time to go through it all now. I'm not an expert so I'd just be using google and stuff.

If it's a problem with your soundcard it could just be that your driver is corrupt. Try going to system tools in the control panel (right click on my computer/properties/hardware/device manager and then find your soundcard and roll back driver.

If not I'm sure some kind soul will help you.

Dude I'm sorry but I don't really have the time to go through it all now. I'm not an expert so I'd just be using google and stuff.

If it's a problem with your soundcard it could just be that your driver is corrupt. Try going to system tools in the control panel (right click on my computer/properties/hardware/device manager and then find your soundcard and roll back driver.

If not I'm sure some kind soul will help you.

No problem, thanks very much for helping me anyway. I'll fiddle around with it myself and maybe someone else will have some advice. Thanks again. :thumbup:

It is the result of an update fuckup by Microsoft. The system tray for your realtek sound card has been fucked up. The fix for it is here....

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=935448

Thanks for that. I followed the link and downloaded the repair and it's fine again. Thanks to the others who gave their advice and help as well, oh and Bri i tried re booting but it didn't work. :biggrin: