You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

43 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Been a half decent runner in my time but I’m just too old now  I’m at the point where it’s counter productive and some days I just can’t do it at all so I’ve called it a day and I’ve taken up walking, only problem with walking is the time needed.

I find I need more visual stimulation to keep walking interesting. Luckily it's better to drive to a nice forest/park for a big walk than it is a run, as you can go for coffee, food etc after without being a big smelly sweat heap.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

No I'm not carrying any extra weight that's not an issue. I'm running about 5k in 35 minutes so not great but running is fairly new for me I've always done weighted exercise, still do.

Currently I either watch an episode of the sopranos when running or listen to a podcast which at the minute is the black tapes. 

You just running on the treadmill?

I could never sustain pace on those things because they're so dull*. I think running routes is much better for that kind of improvement, unless you're going to use the treadmill for fartlek.

*I'm shit at it all, mind, and fell out of regular running a couple of years back when I broke my foot. Working to hopefully hit the streets again soon.

6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I find I need more visual stimulation to keep walking interesting. Luckily it's better to drive to a nice forest/park for a big walk than it is a run, as you can go for coffee, food etc after without being a big smelly sweat heap.

I agree. I’m lucky enough to live by some nice scenery.

19 minutes ago, Pidge said:

You just running on the treadmill?

I could never sustain pace on those things because they're so dull*. I think running routes is much better for that kind of improvement, unless you're going to use the treadmill for fartlek.

*I'm shit at it all, mind, and fell out of regular running a couple of years back when I broke my foot. Working to hopefully hit the streets again soon.

Treadmill for me, running outside doesn't appeal  to me. I dont mind it if I'm listening to something or watching something I'm not even aware of the treadmill. There's programmes on it that change the pace and incline as I'm running if I want but at the minute I'm just setting 5k putting an incline on and running until it stops. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Got a new treadmill and started running again I've done about 2 5ks not at any great speed just taking it slowly but I'm feeling it in my knees, not pain just an uncomfortable feeling like I'm aware I have knees more than I should be. I'm wearing a crossfit trainee and have a slight incline on the treadmill. I'm wondering if it's just my body getting used to it or I'll be on walking sticks if I continue.

I mentioned earlier that I am similar in buying a treadmill and exercieing for the first time in a while. The only thing I would possibly suggest if your knees are dicky is to jib the incline until they settle down

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I mentioned earlier that I am similar in buying a treadmill and exercieing for the first time in a while. The only thing I would possibly suggest if your knees are dicky is to jib the incline until they settle down

I was told the incline would be better for my knees as I'm more likely to have the weight land on midfoot.

• Upvote 1

It’s not something you can really look at now, but when the plague has fucked off get down to a proper running shop and get your shoes done properly to fit your feet and running style, it’s a revelation.

Doesn't cost anything, but makes a world of difference.

I’ve got a running style where I run, slightly, on the outsides of my feet which can be painful, but stick me in a pair of trainers that have the correct insole/foam and nothing whatsoever.

Also, buy a knockoff Theragun, they are amazing.

I run 12.5km twice every week and I hate every fucking second of it until it’s over, no idea how you lot ‘enjoy’ this bullshit.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It used to be a run but can now best be described as a slow jog. 3 mornings a week replacing the 3 mornings at the gym. For nothing more than keeping the weight down and trying to keep some kind of exercise routine. Only do about 2 miles,roughly.

Two miles is imo the perfect distance for running although obviously a person's aims may vary. 

I used to do seven to twelve mile runs to build stamina but the boxing trainer Angelo Dundee sort ofchanged the rules when training Mohammed Ali and later Sugar ray Leonard for his fight with Marvin Hagler by concentrating on shorter high octane distances. 

Hagler did every day seven mile runs to build stamina whereas Leonard did quick 2 mile runs whilst constantly changing pace and often bursting into sprints. Which is the method he used in the fight, short bursts at different tempos.

Mick Jagger whilst training for  upcoming rolling stones tour adopted the same system, his trainer also encouraged him to talk during the run to build up his tolerance to not being out of breath and also build up a natural system of feeling comfortable whilst in a high endurance work out. 

Unless you are training for extreme stamina events like  half/full marathons anything over a two mile run with an endurance run thrown in once every ten days is imo a waste of time. 

Saying all that  im a bit out of touch as I no longer bother running for the bus.

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a20837722/im-a-runner-sugar-ray-leonard/

Hell of a fight that.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Two miles is imo the perfect distance for running although obviously a person's aims may vary. 

I used to do seven to twelve mile runs to build stamina but the boxing trainer Angelo Dundee sort ofchanged the rules when training Mohammed Ali and later Sugar ray Leonard for his fight with Marvin Hagler by concentrating on shorter high octane distances. 

Hagler did every day seven mile runs to build stamina whereas Leonard did quick 2 mile runs whilst constantly changing pace and often bursting into sprints. Which is the method he used in the fight, short bursts at different tempos.

Mick Jagger whilst training for  upcoming rolling stones tour adopted the same system, his trainer also encouraged him to talk during the run to build up his tolerance to not being out of breath and also build up a natural system of feeling comfortable whilst in a high endurance work out. 

Unless you are training for extreme stamina events like  half/full marathons anything over a two mile run with an endurance run thrown in once every ten days is imo a waste of time. 

Saying all that  im a bit out of touch as I no longer bother running for the bus.

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a20837722/im-a-runner-sugar-ray-leonard/

Hell of a fight that.

Wrong, wrong, wrong

If short runs with burst was the optimal way to train, every elite runner would be doing 10 miles a week instead of 120 miles.

Anaerobic running, interval training, fartlek, etc have their place but they should only be 10-20% of a proper programme. Proper endurance is built through medium to long distance running at a slow to moderate pace. Anaerobic sessions will improve fitness quickly but will lead to a plateau and the acidosis induced from repeated anaerobic work will eventually erode the mitochondria needed to process oxygen.

Unfortunately, you'll find loads of articles advocating for intense work all the time, primarily because people look for a quick fix and wants results now when the reality is it takes a lot of time, patience and perseverance to build true cardiovascular fitness.

A good quality way to build fitness in a relatively say way is Aerobic Threshold/Lactate Threshold running. It refers to the point at which your body starts to accumulate a level lactate that it is not capable of clearing. By running at this threshold for extended periods of time, you will teach your body to buffer the lactate and your increased ability to do so will increase your capabilies. Basically, it is the pace you can maintain for an hour and is routinely described as "comfortably hard." Training at Lactate Threshold typically takes place in two forms: "tempo runs" at LT pace for 20-40 mins; or L.T paced intervals e.g 6 x 1km with 90 seconds.

• Upvote 3

On 03/02/2021 at 23:26, Rico1304 said:

Fuck, and I’m sober too.  

You can do better than that, put-bellied pasty is much better.  Now, I’m going for a piss, am I going to find you in the loo too?  It’s like being haunted by an aged alcoholic ghost. 

You will be the only person in your toilet and I'm sure you'll find a way of getting into an argument.

22 minutes ago, Em City said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong

If short runs with burst was the optimal way to train, every elite runner would be doing 10 miles a week instead of 120 miles.

Anaerobic running, interval training, fartlek, etc have their place but they should only be 10-20% of a proper programme. Proper endurance is built through medium to long distance running at a slow to moderate pace. Anaerobic sessions will improve fitness quickly but will lead to a plateau and the acidosis induced from repeated anaerobic work will eventually erode the mitochondria needed to process oxygen.

Unfortunately, you'll find loads of articles advocating for intense work all the time, primarily because people look for a quick fix and wants results now when the reality is it takes a lot of time, patience and perseverance to build true cardiovascular fitness.

A good quality way to build fitness in a relatively say way is Aerobic Threshold/Lactate Threshold running. It refers to the point at which your body starts to accumulate a level lactate that it is not capable of clearing. By running at this threshold for extended periods of time, you will teach your body to buffer the lactate and your increased ability to do so will increase your capabilies. Basically, it is the pace you can maintain for an hour and is routinely described as "comfortably hard." Training at Lactate Threshold typically takes place in two forms: "tempo runs" at LT pace for 20-40 mins; or L.T paced intervals e.g 6 x 1km with 90 seconds.

Ok I bow to your greater knowledge. I'm biased because I used to run regularly and got bored after a few miles so probably tried to convince myself shorter distances were better for you.

24 minutes ago, Em City said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong

Exactly. No doubt that sort of high intensity training is useful for elite athletes who want something specific from it, but even there I'd imagine it's very short term. For anyone else, especially people just starting, it's a sure fire way to get injured or completely put off as you're just flogging yourself all the time.

Get the miles in at a steady, comfortable pace, increase your total distance each week by a reasonable amount (10-20%), and once you reach 25-30Km/ week then start introducing faster runs like threshold as you've said.

5 hours ago, Em City said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong

It depends what you want. Very long runs can reduce muscle mass. Short burst interval training can be better if you want to keep more muscle mass. If you want to improve oxygen efficiency short burst interval training can be very time efficient. 

I'm more of a long distance trainer but there no "right" or "wrong" way to run. 

Anybody who does any running is doing something positive in my book. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Five minute walk before and after I dont stretch. 

I know it's not the same thing, but when I was running regularly, I often used to get tight hamstrings and calves. Stretching before and after really helped, as did a foam roller (although that's more for muscles than tendons).

• Upvote 2