You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

The original was great, really well cast and shot, I’m not sure why they needed a remake of such a recent show.

I agree. The best thing about it being on Amazon is they have also got the original on there as well.

Below is a review from Radio times, basically saying where they copy the original it is not as good, but where they add new characters it is potentially better;

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-09-15/utopia-review-amazon/

But if you were a fan of the original version, this won’t fill the void that the UK series’ cancellation left. They may have all the eye-gouging action intact, but Utopia’s remake still isn’t a patch on the original.

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

The original was great, really well cast and shot, I’m not sure why they needed a remake of such a recent show.

Loved the series, the brutal violence laced with dark humour and the tone felt edgy yet comedic all at the same time. And to add to it all, lots of scenes shot in Skelmersdale and surrounding Southport-ish areas. No wonder it felt slightly drugged up and mentally unstable.  

• 2 weeks later...

If possible, this looks even more shit than I imagined- https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/oct/12/bbc-the-watch-shares-no-dna-with-terry-pratchett-work-daughter-rhianna

The criticisms below don't even touch on some of the casting decisions- a short woman playing the tall, Germanic Angua, Vetinari's now a woman (of course), a tall non-binary actor as Cheery the female dwarf, Vime's wife (who's like a plump Penelope Keith in To the Manor Born) played as a vigilante ninja by a black, young very attractive actress. And the whole thing in a Cyberpunk setting. Fuck knows why they even bothered.

BBC's The Watch 'shares no DNA with Terry Pratchett's work', says daughter
Rhianna Pratchett joins fans unhappy with the forthcoming TV adaptation of her father’s Discworld stories about Ankh-Morpork’s City Watch

Richard Dormer as Captain Sam Vimes and Marama Corlett as Corporal Angua in The Watch. 
Terry Pratchett’s daughter Rhianna Pratchett has said that the forthcoming television adaptation of the late author’s stories about Ankh-Morpork’s City Watch “shares no DNA with my father’s Watch”, and that she “should know”.

The Watch, a new series from BBC America and BBC Studios, will air in January in the US, but a trailer shared over the weekend has prompted an outpouring of criticism from fans. Describing itself as “inspired by” Pratchett’s novels about the City Watch, the new trailer for the series shows Richard Dormer as a punk-rock version of the Watch’s grizzled commander Sam Vimes, in a show that BBC America is pitching as about a band of “misfit cops as they fight to save a ramshackle city of normalised wrongness from both the past and future in a perilous quest”.

“Look, I think it’s fairly obvious that The Watch shares no DNA with my father’s Watch. This is neither criticism nor support. It is what it is,” wrote Rhianna Pratchett, a game designer and author, on Twitter.

The award-winning science fiction and fantasy author Aliette de Bodard was one of many to criticise the new trailer. De Bodard said she was “super disappointed”, and would not be watching the adaptation. “I feel someone took my teenage years and just repeatedly trampled them while setting them on fire,” she wrote on Twitter.

“I’m a big fan of remixing things and adapting them, and I don’t expect any adaptation to be faithful in the sense of rigidly following books. But... you cannot take the core of what makes the story, remove it, and then change every single character and still call it the Watch,” said de Bodard. “I see absolutely NOTHING of the books in the trailer. I see vigilantism (which Vimes ABHORS) being justified … I see Vimes as some kind of funny, incompetent seeming policeman, and that is NOT what Vimes is about. Vimes is drunk. Vimes is angry. But Vimes is never anything less than sharp.”

Neil Gaiman, who co-wrote Good Omens with Terry Pratchett and shepherded the recent adaptation as showrunner, added his voice to hers. Fans, he pointed, out, like the source material, “so if you do something else, you risk alienating the fans on a monumental scale. It’s not Batman if he’s now a news reporter in a yellow trenchcoat with a pet bat”.

Rhianna Pratchett had previously called out the showrunner of The Watch, Simon Allen, for failing to thank her father in a message to the show’s creators, and has been clear that the show is “inspired by”, rather than based on, the City Watch books. The BBC has had “complete creative control”, she has said, and she has not been involved “for years”.

In a panel at New York ComicCon last week, the show’s executive producer Richard Stokes said that Pratchett’s books were “incredible, but what was very clear from the early part of development was that none of the books individually lend themselves to an eight-part series … so we had to do a sort of pick-and-mix of the best bits across the range of books and invent our own series, invent our own world.”

Stokes said you “don’t need to know the books to be able to enjoy the series and that’s one of the most exciting things about it for a big audience”.

Rhianna Pratchett, through the independent production company Narrativia which was launched by her father, is currently working with Motive Pictures and Endeavor Content to create “truly authentic … prestige adaptations that remain absolutely faithful to [Pratchett’s] original, unique genius”.

Also, why would you want to make an 8 part series out of a single Pratchett book? Make a few 2 hour specials instead, there are plenty of Guards books. Dickheads.

Trailer here-

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sequel to Band of Brothers - Bomber Boys

Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg are taking us back to the battlefields of World War II once more.

The series will be based on Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany. And in case the title didn't make it clear enough, it'll focus on the increasing role of American air support as the allies made their push into Nazi-occupied Europe after D-Day.

https://www.gq.com.au/entertainment/film-tv/hanks-spielberg-are-teaming-up-for-another-epic-wwii-series/news-story/346a76783c105dba6181640284d9f9c6