You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 West Ham 0 (Aug 12 2018)

tlw content

Great report but I disagree on the Lino for the third goal.

If he’s doing his job correctly he’s in line with the last defender and it’s an easy call.

I’d be fucking fuming it that was given against us. Luckily (as also mentioned in the match thread) it provided great entertainment on this occasion and went for us.

He was in line with the last defender but then Anderson ran back way beyond everyone as he tracked Robbo's run. Then Mané dropped back a step when he received the ball and by the time he received it he was onside because of Anderson.

When it played he was off, but because all the moving parts made it difficult in that split second when he'll have looked up after it was played. Hold on, I'll get a screen shot.

He was in line with the last defender but then Anderson ran back way beyond everyone as he tracked Robbo's run. Then Mané dropped back a step when he received the ball and by the time he received it he was onside because of Anderson.

When it played he was off, but because all the moving parts made it difficult in that split second when he'll have looked up after it was played. Hold on, I'll get a screen shot.

You’re right he was in line with the last defender, from memory I thought he was at an angle but I was arguing with a dickhead West Ham fan at the time.

I can’t view the link you posted, apparently I don’t have privileges.

However, looking at this pic I think it’s a simple call for the lino, I doubt he’s even able to clearly see Robertson and if he can - he’d have been offside too.

F63_AD9_F7-0_A41-4_ECF-88_D3-_E46531_B29bb uploads

I agree the current offside law doesn’t help officials but to me that’s an easy call to make. And when one goes against us this season - which it will - I won’t be fucking happy.

Ok here's the picture I posted above. It's a split second after the one you posted.

offside.jpg

When you look at the pic you've posted, the linesman can't see the ball as it's played because there are three West Ham players in his line of sight.

So by the time he realises it's been played and he looks across, he sees Anderson deeper than everyone else and Mane has taken a step toward the ball. Doesn't matter where Robbo is as he isn't involved.

Just saying that it all happened so quickly that it was a difficult one to get right, and he'd really have just been guessing (correctly, admittedly) if he'd put his flag up. 

West Ham wanted offside, and Mané was a mile off when the initial cross came in but that’s not how offside works any more. It’s a shit rule and I’d change it if I could, but if West Ham have a problem they can blame their new manager and his daft “hold the 18 yard line” policy.

I don't think he was off at all you know. I think Firmino was, but Mane remained onside.

Ok here's the picture I posted above. It's a split second after the one you posted.

offside.jpg

When you look at the pic you've posted, the linesman can't see the ball as it's played because there are three West Ham players in his line of sight.

So by the time he realises it's been played and he looks across, he sees Anderson deeper than everyone else and Mane has taken a step toward the ball. Doesn't matter where Robbo is as he isn't involved.

Just saying that it all happened so quickly that it was a difficult one to get right, and he'd really have just been guessing (correctly, admittedly) if he'd put his flag up.

I’ll agree to disagree if you chuck in a t-shirt next month.

Forgot to mention the kid running on to give Mo a hug, and then him getting dragged away by the stewards. 

All a bit mad that. I'm conflicted. On the one hand he was just a kid wanting a hug from Mo, but on the other, he ran on the pitch during the game and he was old enough to know better.

Don't know where I stand on this one.

• Upvote 3

Didn’t the ball take a slight deflection of the West Ham defender? If so - case closed. Played onside

That’s not how offside works. He’s offside when the ball is played, end of. It’s not a different phase.

Mane was offside but it’s nice when we get the benefit of a poor decision but that Lino, for me, had missed a couple in the first half that might have been crucial. So he was just shit.

That’s not how offside works. He’s offside when the ball is played, end of. It’s not a different phase.

Mane was offside but it’s nice when we get the benefit of a poor decision but that Lino, for me, had missed a couple in the first half that might have been crucial. So he was just shit.

How does that pan out with the Kane one last season where he is miles off from the original ball but it deflects off Lovren , Riley & Co told us Lovren had played him on.

How does that pan out with the Kane one last season where he is miles off from the original ball but it deflects off Lovren , Riley & Co told us Lovren had played him on.

The attacker is not offside if the defender plays the ball. The Lovren incident shows that they seem to be interpreting that as including a botched attempt to play the ball. A clear deflection without any attempt by the defender to do anything probably means it's not offside. Probably.

• Upvote 1

Because they say Loren made a deliberate attempt to play the ball it became a different phase.

Clear as mud

• Upvote 1

Yeah but that can't possibly be right. The "deliberate" element refers to playing it deliberately in the direction of the attacker surely. So if Lovren had controlled the ball and tried to play it back to Karius, then Kane wouldn't have been offside. The other interpretation makes no sense, it couldn't possibly be the rule.

Lest we forget the only fucking reason Lovren played the ball at all is because it was going towards Kane. So short of getting the ball out of play, the best option for Lovren would have been to simply let the ball through to Kane and hope like hell the linesman calls offside. 

That this is his 2nd best option tells you everything about the state of the offside rule in its current form. 

• Upvote 1