You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we remove politics from the GF?

GF + PF  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for all the political bickering threads to find a new home?

• Yes, fuck them off, they’re virtually unreadable and ruining the place.
    • No, keep them. I enjoy reading the same insults being constantly thrown around and the same discussions going round in circles.
    • I don’t care one way or the other.
  2. 2. Does Stig finger cats?

• Yes
    • No

I’m in favour of creating a forum with that name, so long as all the bitching about politics stays here.

The thing is, though, there's not that much wrong with the politics, as long as we stick to the politics. When people start personal bickering, you get... well, you get this.

I can confirm what Stronts was saying, we were talking about my belief there are people with multiple accounts and be mentioned he had an idea who NT was from an Echo page. Nothing more sinister than that. I’ve been open on here, think you can even find my pay number from the times I’ve got cheap boilers for people. If you want it again for your folder just let me know.

It does make me laugh that it’s ok to have a discussion about what you’d like to do to people who vote differently to you, how you wouldn’t drink them with or have them as friends but now think the tone needs addressing.

From a personal perspective I was quote mined yesterday, leading to another poster dropping his carving utensils and piling in. I find the original quote mining worse than the name calling as it was dishonest and the poster knew exactly what he was doing. When called out he had a go at me for abuse. Weird.

Anyhow, it’s the Internet, who cares. I got a load of abuse last week and the poster PMd me to apologise for going too far. My response was ‘who cares, it’s the Internet. Have a good weekend’

But if there’s an end to sleaze who am I to argue.

Not to be funny, Rico, but there's been plenty of times you've weighed in with name-calling in these threads, simply because somebody won't agree with you. Clown. Idiot. It's a cult. Sound familiar?

The reality is I rarely engage on any meaningful level in the threads any more. There seems little point. I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine. I'm happy to engage with you on other topics but where politics is concerned were so far apart there's little point.

As for SD, I've had him on ignore for probably going on two years now. When it get's to the point that you have that much of an issue with him that it's just constant fighting, then it's probably best to do that.

On reflection, and being serious, perhaps it's best if it is given it's own forum as there'll be less temptation on my part to stray on there. I'm speaking for myself in that regard.

Not to be funny, Rico, but there's been plenty of times you've weighed in with name-calling in these threads, simply because somebody won't agree with you. Clown. Idiot. It's a cult. Sound familiar?

The reality is I rarely engage on any meaningful level in the threads any more. There seems little point. I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine. I'm happy to engage with you on other topics but where politics is concerned were so far apart there's little point.

As for SD, I've had him on ignore for probably going on two years now. When it get's to the point that you have that much of an issue with him that it's just constant fighting, then it's probably best to do that.

On reflection, and being serious, perhaps it's best if it is given it's own forum as there'll be less temptation on my part to stray on there. I'm speaking for myself in that regard.

I didn’t say I haven’t done it, but I don’t get my knickers in a twist about some bloke on the Internet thinking I’m stupid. Who cares? But if the GF decides it stops I’ll comply.

• Upvote 1

And that's the worry.

From my perspective I am obviously aware that Twitter and Facebook are a self-selecting echo chamber. This is the place I come to actually have my political ideas challenged so that I have to question things and do some research and maybe even change my mind. That's healthy.

If the political threads are corralled in a different forum, which is avoided by the majority of posters, it will be just a personal bickering shop for those who enjoy that sort of thing. The GF and the whole site would be poorer as a result.

There needs to be a better way of winding the tedious, repetitive, personal bickering in.

• Upvote 1

So this thread has turned into the usual lot sniping at each other.

The most simple solution is to do a political discussion board so people who want to increase their blood pressure doxxing each other and screaming at virtual brick walls can do and the rest of us who come here to slag off breakfasts and rant about beggars can do so.  

Everyone is happy.  Unless it's going to cause Dave some financial hardship to set this up it seems like the most logical answer. 

• Upvote 1

Politics will creep into most threads anyhow due to it affecting our almost every minute on the planet. If you 'have a rant' about increased train fares it's down to corporate greed and privatisation facilitated by every government since Thatchers. Problems around the city of Liverpool will often go back to 'Chippy tea Joe' and also the government. Immigration will crop up and various other so called political discussions. The problem is that other threads like 'Should Corbyn stay as leader' have morphed into a general politics thread and not stayed on topic. There was a politics thread which seems to have disappeared and so discussions become splintered and more threads arise. You can't keep politics out of GF threads because it's life.

• Upvote 2

So this thread has turned into the usual lot sniping at each other.

The most simple solution is to do a political discussion board so people who want to increase their blood pressure doxxing each other and screaming at virtual brick walls can do and the rest of us who come here to slag off breakfasts and rant about beggars can do so.  

Everyone is happy.  Unless it's going to cause Dave some financial hardship to set this up it seems like the most logical answer. 

Oh so breakfasts can't be political? That's just fucking typical of you but I'm hardly surprised given your world view.

• Upvote 1

It's true that you will not win a political argument (or any other for that matter) on an Internet forum resulting in your opponent conceding defeat, but you actually can affect change in (some) people's minds by presenting them with a different, informed and well argued opinion. They will not admit it, but it will sometimes force them to rethink their beliefs at least on some level. Most people are not that uniformly predictable and as we go through life we do constantly have to examine new ideas and concepts and re-evaluate the old ones. Whilst we slowly drift to the right as we get older.

Politics will creep into most threads anyhow due to it affecting our almost every minute on the planet. If you 'have a rant' about increased train fares it's down to corporate greed and privatisation facilitated by every government since Thatchers. Problems around the city of Liverpool will often go back to 'Chippy tea Joe' and also the government. Immigration will crop up and various other so called political discussions. The problem is that other threads like 'Should Corbyn stay as leader' have morphed into a general politics thread and not stayed on topic. There was a politics thread which seems to have disappeared and so discussions become splintered and more threads arise. You can't keep politics out of GF threads because it's life.

Exactly, my view too.  If you don't like the personal abuse refrain from using it and don't rise to the bait or just skip the threads that you can't be arsed about.

I didn’t even vote before I started reading this forum when I was a young pup. The political discussion on here was what got me interested in the first place and now I’m even involved in a local branch. It’s completely toxic on here now though, as Paulie said it is spreading into other threads and I think what I’ve proposed is a good idea.

Plus the poll backs me up. It’s there in black and white. 69% of the voters want a seperate political forum. Fact.