You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Loanees - 2018-19

Bad Red Bull

Starting a new thread to follow the progress of our loanees:

Will start with the latest:

Harry Wilson is starting tonight for Derby vs Reading.

Herbie Kane joined Doncaster yesterday on a 6 month loan.

Ejaria and Kent played in Rangers 1-1 draw over Osijek yesterday thus earning Rangers an aggregate win of 2-1.

Adam Bogdan played the full 90 minutes for Hibs who went through aggregate 4-3 to the next qualifying stage for the europa league. 

Rest of the guys on loan:

Shamal George is on 6 month loan to Tranmere. 

Ben Woodburn has gone to Sheffield Utd on a season long loan. Hopefully he plays a lot of games and does well for himself.

Taiwo Awoniyi is now on a season long loan at KAA Gent. 

Allan has a loan to Frankfurt. Klopp must really rate him highly to retain him and send him continuously on loans.

Anderson Arroyo is to stay with Mallorca B until the end of this season. 

• Upvote 5

Wilson is struggling to get into it so far. He’s just played a cross field pass out of play. Derby are really trying hard to play it out from the back but Keogh and Davies at the back aren’t the best ball playing defenders. Reading are pressing quite high as well which is adding to them not having a lot of the ball anywhere other than across their back line.

I might be going against the grain here but I like Lampard and wouldn’t be against him doing well. It looks like he’s got a lot to learn here though. He’s trying to play a certain type of football that he just simply doesn’t have the players to implement.

I'm with you, despite giving him a lot of stick as a player (a good player for a horrible team) he comes across really well as a pundit and seems a decent enough bloke. Worth keeping an eye out for, there are a couple of ex-reds alongside Wilson in that team (Carson, Wisdom) and, given the proximity to Sheffield, I work with a couple of Derby fans. Hopefully Wilson has a good season, at least he's in a team with a manager who wants to play decent football.

I'm with you, despite giving him a lot of stick as a player (a good player for a horrible team) he comes across really well as a pundit and seems a decent enough bloke. Worth keeping an eye out for, there are a couple of ex-reds alongside Wilson in that team (Carson, Wisdom) and, given the proximity to Sheffield, I work with a couple of Derby fans. Hopefully Wilson has a good season, at least he's in a team with a manager who wants to play decent football.

I only spotted Tiago Ilori was playing as well about 20 mins in.

I'm guessing Wilson and Woodburn will never play for Liverpool again? Surely a loan is precursor to a future sale?

I think that does tend to be the case doesn’t it. Dave has mentioned it in a couple of his pieces recently and I agree with him. Unless you’re Fowler or Owen at that age it’s so hard to get in the team now. It doesn’t mean these players won’t be good enough to play for us later but we can’t afford to put them in now.

We’ve spent a lot of money over the years on young players and they seem to end up stagnating in U23 football because it’s not good enough. We then loan the players out to the lower division where clubs seem to like the sound of having these players but when the reality hits they stick with their old pros to get promoted/avoid relegation.

Occasionally like last season someone like Wilson just hits the ground running at the loan club and they get picked a lot. It gave me hope Klopp would give him a go here but he’s on loan again.

Do we have a Trainees thread? Didn't see one. Anyway, we generally have one to follow loans and I'll be trying my best to give updates here over the course of the whole season.

Yep, all kinds of trainees. Nike, Adidas, Reebok. Definitely space for a Loanee's thread so duly repped.

I'm guessing Wilson and Woodburn will never play for Liverpool again? Surely a loan is precursor to a future sale?

Wilson is already 21, and while he's quite a good player I think it's safe to say that if he were going to make it here he'd have stayed this season, especially since another goalscoring winger would have been a very handy backup player for us at the moment. At this point I think he's just playing for his big move - if he does well, he could go to a Championship challenger or a lower-level PL team.

Woodburn is still only 18 so I think it's pretty different. He might not suit Klopp's system very well but at his age a loan is hardly a bad thing, especially if he gets a lot of playing time and does well. I think he still has a chance to come back. If he's out on loan again next season it's not a good sign, but for now I think we have a lot of depth in midfield and I think it's just the club realising he wasn't going to get many minutes at a time in his career when he needs them.

Wilson started for Derby in their 4-1 home defeat by Leeds. Substituted in the 61st minute.

Woodburn came off the bench for Sheffield United and played the last 20 minutes in their 2-1 win at QPR. Picked up a booking in stoppage time.

Herbie Kane played the full 90 for Doncaster as they made it 2 wins from 2 in the league to start the campaign.

Ovie Ejaria and Ryan Kent both started for Rangers as they won 2-0. Ovie played the full 90, while Ryan was replaced in the 70th minute.

Taiwo Awoniyi also played 70 minutes for Gent before being replaced as they won 4-1.

Shamal George was an unused substitue for Tranmere.

• Upvote 5

Ben Woodburn made his first start, and played the full 120 minutes for Sheffield United in last night's Carabao cup penalty defeat at home to Hull. Ben converted his penalty in the shootout that the Blades would lose.

Harry Wilson started again for Derby, and was once again withdrawn midway through the second half. He was replaced in the 67th minute as Derby progressed to the next round with a 2-0 win at Oldham.

Herbie Kane played the full 90 in Doncaster's 2-1 win at Scunthorpe. Consecutive full games for the young midfielder.

Shamal George made his competitive debut for Tranmere as they crashed out in the first round, losing 3-1 at home to Walsall. From the stats on the beeb, it looks like Shamal was fairly busy, with the visitors having 9 shots on target, and converting 3 of those.

• Upvote 1