You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yeah sorry mate, just seen this. They usually come with the cables and I'm still using ones I bought about 3 years ago with no issues. If you can, try to make sure you plug them directly into the wall socket. They will work through an extension or 4-way but it's not as good. Also, you can use however many you want around the house, but just be aware that you'll need the same ones as different brands tend to use different tech.

• Upvote 1

Yeah sorry mate, just seen this. They usually come with the cables and I'm still using ones I bought about 3 years ago with no issues. If you can, try to make sure you plug them directly into the wall socket. They will work through an extension or 4-way but it's not as good. Also, you can use however many you want around the house, but just be aware that you'll need the same ones as different brands tend to use different tech.

These turned up this morning. Got them plugged straight into the wall like you said and they’re working brilliantly. Nice one mate.

• 2 months later...

Any ideas?

We had a Virgin Media package installed at the beginning of the month. All was working well until the start of the weekend when we noticed that the tv catch up and on demand features weren’t available and then discovered that we have no internet connection on any of our non Apple devices and no amount of typing in passwords makes any difference. 

All advice greatly appreciated.

Written on my Apple device

8 hours ago, Champ said:

Any ideas?

We had a Virgin Media package installed at the beginning of the month. All was working well until the start of the weekend when we noticed that the tv catch up and on demand features weren’t available and then discovered that we have no internet connection on any of our non Apple devices and no amount of typing in passwords makes any difference. 

All advice greatly appreciated.

Written on my Apple device

Any problems like no internet connection I normally shut down the router for a couple of minutes and then restart. Any devices that rely on that connection should also be shut down and then restarted once the router is restarted.

4 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Any problems like no internet connection I normally shut down the router for a couple of minutes and then restart. Any devices that rely on that connection should also be shut down and then restarted once the router is restarted.

You are a star!

And the moral of the story is, no matter how new the service or weird the problem seems turning the thing on and off is always the place to start.

Well there’s probably two, the second being it’s always worth asking the good people of the forum before bracing yourself to speak to someone with a limited grasp of English in a call centre on the other side of the world

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Champ said:

You are a star!

And the moral of the story is, no matter how new the service or weird the problem seems turning the thing on and off is always the place to start.

Well there’s probably two, the second being it’s always worth asking the good people of the forum before bracing yourself to speak to someone with a limited grasp of English in a call centre on the other side of the world

I would assume that the advice worked a charm? 

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I would assume that the advice worked a charm? 

First time.

Not sure why I didn’t do it straight away. It was always my default with the previous crappy Sky router. But thanks again

On 11/5/2018 at 3:51 PM, Champ said:

First time.

Not sure why I didn’t do it straight away. It was always my default with the previous crappy Sky router. But thanks again

Don't forget to do this quite regularly,say every couple of weeks,as they seem to add patches and updates without telling you and your conbection can get 'glitchy.'

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 25/07/2018 at 20:59, Duncan Clench said:

Get some homeplugs. Cheap and brilliant.

TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, No Configuration Required, UK Plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jAnwBbGTK9Z8Q

On 06/08/2018 at 10:17, Captain Turdseye said:

OK mate, I’m sold. I had a litttle win on the footy at the weekend so I’m gonna go ahead and order some today.

I’ve just had a look at the link you posted on the last page. I take it I’ll need two short Ethernet cables as well? One to connect the first plug to the router and another to connect to my box from where the second one is plugged in. Is that right?

Also, they are dirt cheap. Would you recommend paying a bit more and going for a newer model?

Cheers.

On 07/08/2018 at 00:02, Captain Turdseye said:

Ended up just picking these cheap ones up anyway. They get better reviews than the newer model and I see that they come with the ethernets included. Hopefully they do the job.

On 07/08/2018 at 10:05, Duncan Clench said:

On 11/08/2018 at 11:53, Captain Turdseye said:

These turned up this morning. Got them plugged straight into the wall like you said and they’re working brilliantly. Nice one mate.

Something to think about @Harry's Lad

• 5 months later...

Just moved house interstate, garage full of boxes, all that stuff. Anyway, amongst the few boxes opened I found an old toshiba sapphire laptop that's not been used for over a year and plugged it in. Windows 10 cranks up ok but no wifi, home network, not showing in list that shows about 10 around the block, all other devices are fine. Done all the usual things. Now I notice at the top of available networks 'Broadband Blocked'.
can't try ethernet coz the socket in this modern house is smaller than my old cable.

Anyone experienced this issue? is it fixable at little cost or should I just bin the laptop?

If your wifi is not showing, it's likely that on your router the SSID (your wifi identifier) is set to hidden, Broadband Blocked could be the name of a nearby router, you can literally call them anything like "Sometimes IP" etc, check your router for this.

Ethernet sockets haven't changed in a long while, its a set standard, you maybe looking at a phone socket, to connect the laptop via a wired connection, find/buy a ethernet cable and connect from laptop to ethernet ports on the back of your router. 

Also if its really old laptop, it might not have a inbuilt wireless card, so you would need to by a wifi dongle (which are very cheap tbh)

6 hours ago, beerhunter said:

If your wifi is not showing, it's likely that on your router the SSID (your wifi identifier) is set to hidden, Broadband Blocked could be the name of a nearby router, you can literally call them anything like "Sometimes IP" etc, check your router for this.

Ethernet sockets haven't changed in a long while, its a set standard, you maybe looking at a phone socket, to connect the laptop via a wired connection, find/buy a ethernet cable and connect from laptop to ethernet ports on the back of your router. 

Also if its really old laptop, it might not have a inbuilt wireless card, so you would need to by a wifi dongle (which are very cheap tbh)

Thanks for the input, it has inbuilt wireless. With the SSID thing, if all the other devices work as expected could that still be an issue? Next I have to re-locate my ethernet cables in all the jumble. I forgot about the connections at back of router. Thanks again for your time and advice.

8 hours ago, nimrod said:

Thanks for the input, it has inbuilt wireless. With the SSID thing, if all the other devices work as expected could that still be an issue? Next I have to re-locate my ethernet cables in all the jumble. I forgot about the connections at back of router. Thanks again for your time and advice.

Yeah the SSID can be hidden at any time, however the easiest check to determine this is try and connect from your phone and see if the WIFI shows up. if it does you know its the laptop. If it doesn't then the SSID is hidden. If you have the SSID and password then you don't even need to unhide it. Just make sure you the details are correct before you enter them.

If the wifi is OK then its something on the laptop, i.e. wifi adapter has the wrong driver, AV has blocked it. Unfortunately there are many different things that can cause issues like this. For example I use ExpressVPN and if for some reason I lose connection to the internet the software will block all traffic until its manually reconnected, which gives the illusion that something is wrong with the connection.

There is plenty of stuff on google, that will take you through the basic issues, have a go with some of these suggestions, if you still cant sort it then post screenshots of the details and ill try and help you out.

After a further google scan, this link is more specific for you bud - Link

15 hours ago, beerhunter said:

Yeah the SSID can be hidden at any time, however the easiest check to determine this is try and connect from your phone and see if the WIFI shows up. if it does you know its the laptop. If it doesn't then the SSID is hidden. If you have the SSID and password then you don't even need to unhide it. Just make sure you the details are correct before you enter them.

If the wifi is OK then its something on the laptop, i.e. wifi adapter has the wrong driver, AV has blocked it. Unfortunately there are many different things that can cause issues like this. For example I use ExpressVPN and if for some reason I lose connection to the internet the software will block all traffic until its manually reconnected, which gives the illusion that something is wrong with the connection.

There is plenty of stuff on google, that will take you through the basic issues, have a go with some of these suggestions, if you still cant sort it then post screenshots of the details and ill try and help you out.

After a further google scan, this link is more specific for you bud - Link

Thanks for all that. I realise that that my questions are a bit Drongoish, but my head signals are all over the place, apart from the dis-organisation, my daughter in law is in hospital and been induced for the birth of my first grand daughter so my grip on things is tenuous and my concentration is all focused in one place.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/07/2022 at 01:33, nimrod said:

Thanks for all that. I realise that that my questions are a bit Drongoish, but my head signals are all over the place, apart from the dis-organisation, my daughter in law is in hospital and been induced for the birth of my first grand daughter so my grip on things is tenuous and my concentration is all focused in one place.

Hope you are now a Grandad and all went well.

Thanks mate, it's been a tough start in life her, born in a regional hospital in NW Tasmania at 6pm and air evacuated to Hobart before noon the next morning, suspected intestinal obstruction. Three days later she was cleared and allowed to go home, during all this she contracted covid at some point, their house is in lockdown.
I haven't seen her yet, but she's strong, she'll be ok. I'm looking forward to holding her and singing ynwa quietly into her heart.

• Upvote 2

On 13/08/2022 at 00:49, nimrod said:

Thanks mate, it's been a tough start in life her, born in a regional hospital in NW Tasmania at 6pm and air evacuated to Hobart before noon the next morning, suspected intestinal obstruction. Three days later she was cleared and allowed to go home, during all this she contracted covid at some point, their house is in lockdown.
I haven't seen her yet, but she's strong, she'll be ok. I'm looking forward to holding her and singing ynwa quietly into her heart.

Best of luck and 'thank goodness' most kids seem pretty resilient to the covid. My own grandaughter shook it off at around 18 months old herself. Your eyes will get a bit watery when you first see her but dont hold back,appreciate her as Grandkids are superb.

• 5 months later...