You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Seeing as we've just bought the most expensive, and arguably most sought after keeper around.

Is it time we put in place, a world class goalkeeping coaching system?

We've seen the club head hunt sports science people from bayern Munich. We've even head hunted their chef.

How on earth have we not replaced the ex Tranmere guy by now?

I know YouTube clips can be edited anyway you like.

But you can see some teams goalkeepers going through some ridiculous drills. With the balls being kicked off board's or even road hoarding so the keeper can't read where the ball is going.

But whenever you see our lads working. It's just a little tap tap bollox, or the other infamous one now where a high ball is thrown in and a few lads have cushions to put the keeper off.

I know the argument can be made for achterburg not been given anything of use to work with up until now.

But surely with us making such an investment in Alisson, that we should do right be him and put the best coaching team behind him.

Ah thoughts?

• Upvote 1

It of course does not mean you are a shite coach just because you were a shite player...same as a great player is not necessarily a great coach - but the evidence is quite damning so far for Achterberg in terms of how the keepers he has coached have performed.

It is difficult to imagine he is at the cutting edge of keeper coaching though given his background and the body of evidence that are the performances of 'his' keepers.

Klopp seems to really rate him and, beyond that, who’s arsed?

That's something that pickles my swede a little bit. So many, like 99.x% of the fanbase it seems, are convinced he's a fucking mong. A clueless, stupid mong who destroys players. Yet the guy pretty much all of us like a lot, the manager, seems to love the guy. I can't square that particular circle. 

• Upvote 3

You'd have to be a spectacularly bad coach to actually make a goalkeeper worse. I'd imagine a decent 'keeper would just ignore someone who was incompetent. As Paul says, the issues we've had with successive players are probably more attributable to their own mental strength than anything else.

I find it hard to just single out one man and blame him for players being poor. It is just as likely to be the scouts' fault as the coaches.

No keeper we have had, has gone has only been poor for us and then gone on to be a world beater at other clubs.

To be honest I think Jones, Bogdan, Ming, Karius are simply not good enough for a club of our level of expectancy; and no amount of coaching is going to change that.

Wasnt Actheberg the one Reina moaned about before he left? Sure he was complaining because the then new goalkeeping coach had him doing basic shite, it was either him or the fella under Hodgeson?

Reina needed to look in the mirror. Whether his fat lazy arse was justified or not, his performances were unacceptable for a long time.

Selling him was right, failing to replace him with anything close to a top keeper until this summer has people grasping at straws.

I find it hard to just single out one man and blame him for players being poor. It is just as likely to be the scouts' fault as the coaches.

No keeper we have had, has gone has only been poor for us and then gone on to be a world beater at other clubs.

To be honest I think Jones, Bogdan, Ming, Karius are simply not good enough for a club of our level of expectancy; and no amount of coaching is going to change that.

Nah remember Corrigan? Funny how both James and Friedal developed the same flaws and Friedal recovered when he left?
  • Upvote 1

Nah remember Corrigan? Funny how both James and Friedal developed the same flaws and Friedal recovered when he left?

Friedal recovered because he went back to having less pressure and more to do.

It's hard to know one way or the other. The YouTube routines I have seen posted do look a concern but are not conclusive either way.

But why persist if there is some doubt? Achterburg has had a decent run, why not just mix it up a bit and get someone else in? The risks of keeping him in situ seem to be far higher than moving him on and bringing in some fresh blood.

I find it hard to just single out one man and blame him for players being poor. It is just as likely to be the scouts' fault as the coaches.

You're not trying hard enough then.

• Upvote 1

It's hard to know one way or the other. The YouTube routines I have seen posted do look a concern but are not conclusive either way.

But why persist if there is some doubt? Achterburg has had a decent run, why not just mix it up a bit and get someone else in? The risks of keeping him in situ seem to be far higher than moving him on and bringing in some fresh blood.

This opinion (not just yours mate; loads share it) blows my mind: you’re taking one or two pieces of minor circumstantial evidence and then drawing a radical conclusion that runs totally contrary to that of the bloke who knows all the facts. It’s completely illogical.

This opinion (not just yours mate; loads share it) blows my mind: you’re taking one or two pieces of minor circumstantial evidence and then drawing a radical conclusion that runs totally contrary to that of the bloke who knows all the facts. It’s completely illogical.

I'm not drawing any conclusions. I'm weighing the odds and find that there is a better expected outcome for our £60m asset if we switch coaches.

That's based on my view that there is a small probability that Achterburg is in someway to blame for our goalkeepers being shit but an even smaller probability that if we were to replace him we would do so with a worse coach.

Which is exactly why he should be criticised. It's a results business and the results of our GKs have been shit.

So if he gets world class keeper and he plays well, he's a great coach. If he gets a shit keeper and he plays shit, he's a shit coach? That can't be right. I understand results are important, but unless we think he's teaching Karius to parry it into his own goal or throw the ball to an attacker, then I'd suggest it's not a great way to judge. 

I mean, he might be completely shit, I've no idea. It'd be strange for Klopp to tolerate it on a day to day basis, wouldn't it? He has worked with some quality coaches, as have other coaches, he must surely know if the training methods suck or something is so wrong he's ruining all keepers?