You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who Will Win The World Cup - Poll

Bjornebye

Who will win it?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win it?

Honestly can't see past Germany to win this again. France have a very good side but they have a tendency to fuck it right up in the group stages when they are fancied. Spain are past their best. Argentine have become the ultimate also-rans. Brazil weren't that impressive at Anfield last week until Neymar came on. Belgium could and probably will have a fucking good go. 

Honestly can't see past Germany to win this again. France have a very good side but they have a tendency to fuck it right up in the group stages when they are fancied. Spain are past their best. Argentine have become the ultimate also-rans. Brazil weren't that impressive at Anfield last week until Neymar came on. Belgium could and probably will have a fucking good go. 

It´s a different team. This will be Isco, Carvajal, Thiago, Asensio, etc. Most of the old timers have fucked off. Their problem will be a lack of a proper goalscorer. They´ll plug away with Costa who doesn´t suit the team, giving the likes of Rodrigo and Aspas a few minutes here and there.

Guest Alex_K

Germany look very strong but .. of the core that won it last time, Lahmn isn't there, Neur has been injured and Khedira/Muller/Oezil/Goetze etc. all look much diminished (the Bayern contingent generally - aside newcomer Kimmich - do not look as imperious as their 2014 selves). Brazil look like they may have more solidity this time? I think it could be very competitve .. the draft game being played shows just how wide-spread the quality of players is across at least half a dozen teams.

Brazil just can’t afford not to win this : good keeper, very good defense, the best in midfield, good attack and Neymar is in good shape after a spring break .... and they have depth on the squad !

But, as 1982 showed, the best don’t always win, so Spain and Germany have a a chance as well !

Belgium have good players but not a good team, and France lack leadership and their defense is weak.

Germany look very strong but .. of the core that won it last time, Lahmn isn't there, Neur has been injured and Khedira/Muller/Oezil/Goetze etc. all look much diminished (the Bayern contingent generally - aside newcomer Kimmich - do not look as imperious as their 2014 selves). Brazil look like they may have more solidity this time? I think it could be very competitve .. the draft game being played shows just how wide-spread the quality of players is across at least half a dozen teams.

1 Manuel Neuer Bayern Munich 31 GK

2 Marc-André ter Stegen Barcelona 25 GK

3 Kevin Trapp PSG 25 GK

4 Niklas Süle Bayern Munich 22 Defender

5 Mats Hummels Bayern Munich 29 Defender

6 Antonio Rüdiger Cheslea 25 Defender

7 Joshua Kimmich PSG 23 Defender

8 Matthias Ginter Bayer Leverkusen 24 Defender

9 Jérôme Boateng Bayern Munich 29 Defender

10 Marvin Plattenhardt Hertha Berlin 25 Defender

11 Jonas Hector Koln 27 Defender

12 Sami Khedira Juventus 31 Midfielder

13 Toni Kroos Real Madrid 28 Midfielder

14 Leon Goretzka FC Schalke 23 Defender

15 Mesut Özil Arsenal 29 Midfielder

16 Marco Reus Dortmund 25 Midfielder

17 Julian Brandt Bayer Leverkusen 21 Midfielder

18 Sebastian Rudy Bayern Munich 22 Midfielder

19 İlkay Gündoğan Manchester City 27 Midfielder

20 Julian Draxler PSG 24 Forward

21 Thomas Müller Bayern Munich 28 Forward

22 Mario Gomez Stuttgart 32 Forward

23 Timo Werner RB Leipzig 21 Forward

I just don't see Germany winning it. They weren't great in Euro 2016. Argentina have made the final of the last three tournaments they entered, are long overdue for a World Cup win, and this may be Messi's last chance to win it.

Granted, they weren't great in qualifying, but England always cruise through qualifying unbeaten, and they haven't troubled the business end of the World Cup since 1990, so qualifying record doesn't mean much.

I very slightly favour Argentina for the title ahead of France and Brazil. Of course, Brazil couldn't even win the thing on home soil. It's an extremely open tournament.

I don't think Germany are the shoe-ins that many are predicting. Firstly, because they won the Confederations Cup last year, and the winners of that have NEVER gone on to win the World Cup the following year. Secondly, 3 of the last 5 winners have gone out at the group stage at the following World Cup (France in 2002, Italy in 2010, and Spain in 2014 - Brazil only got to the quarter finals in 2006 with a side that featured Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka and Adriano in attack), so the defending champions are now regularly being forced to hit the ground running rather than grow into a tournament. Thirdly, a number of their key players have looked a bit burnt out in the past year. They still have an immensely strong squad though.

I’ve worked it out guessing the group winners and later rounds. France v Brazil, Argentina v Germany semis. I can’t decide the winners of either game.

I think Portugal and Belgium could fuck that up though. Had them getting beat by France and Brazil. Basically I haven’t got a fucking clue who’s going to win it.