You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sergio Ramos

Hades

Hardly surprising, the Spaniards have been serial dopers for years. 

Sure even the great Pep Guardiola was caught doping, but only when he went to Italy at the end of his career. 

There was also a really odd instance when he managed bayern Munich. 

I can't remember the exact game, but bayern got battered by someone like Porto, or Monaco in the champions league, between the first leg and the return leg the whole of the bayern medical staff where then sacked. And needles to say Munich then won the return fixture. 

I remember my brother showing me an article at the time because he's a huge cycling fan, and obviously cycling is synonymous with doping. But if you ask me, it's just they punish for doping while football doesn't. 

What they are now saying is that Ramos was given injections of one substance (which is on the WADA banned list but is permissible if its use is declared at any subsequent doping test) to treat a pre-existing injury, but the club doctor disclosed the name of a different yet similar substance (which is also on the banned list but permissible if declared) in error during Ramos' doping test after the 2017 final. Real Madrid and Ramos notified UEFA once the error came to light, hence why UEFA didn't act on it.

Players are given pain-killing injections all the time, and I recall somebody once claiming that it is rare for a player to be absolutely 100% fit as they're always carrying a knock of some sort (true of Sturridge and Lallana certainly!). There is protocol for club medical staff to declare all substances used and the reasons for using them so when something does show up on a doping test, there is a valid and permissible reason behind it.

As much as we would like Real Madrid and Ramos hauled over the coals for this, I don't get the impression of any actual wrongdoing here. Der Spiegel seem to have gone for the most sensationalist angle when a read of their findings suggests that it was actually more mundane than is being claimed.

7 minutes ago, Trumo said:

What they are now saying is that Ramos was given injections of one substance (which is on the WADA banned list but is permissible if its use is declared at any subsequent doping test) to treat a pre-existing injury, but the club doctor disclosed the name of a different yet similar substance (which is also on the banned list but permissible if declared) in error during Ramos' doping test after the 2017 final. Real Madrid and Ramos notified UEFA once the error came to light, hence why UEFA didn't act on it.

Players are given pain-killing injections all the time, and I recall somebody once claiming that it is rare for a player to be absolutely 100% fit as they're always carrying a knock of some sort (true of Sturridge and Lallana certainly!). There is protocol for club medical staff to declare all substances used and the reasons for using them so when something does show up on a doping test, there is a valid and permissible reason behind it.

As much as we would like Real Madrid and Ramos hauled over the coals for this, I don't get the impression of any actual wrongdoing here. Der Spiegel seem to have gone for the most sensationalist angle when a read of their findings suggests that it was actually more mundane than is being claimed.

Get out. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 8