You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wednesday, 14th February - FC Porto vs Liverpool. Happy Valentine's Day

Will have to record this and stay on radio silence so I don’t hear the result. Won’t be back home until about 9pm (2am GMT).

Firmino gave an assertive interview yesterday with his comments about what we are going to do to Porto. I wonder if that was some sort of Colonial Brazil/Portugal thing? Usually I don’t like it when our players say what we are going to do as we often come a cropper. I’m from the generation where you don’t say it, you do it! Mind you, after the Spurs game Karius gave a forthright interview about his own form and I thought he had just jinxed it and would revert to being a bag of nerves, but then he did well against Southampton.

Conclusion: I don’t mind our players talking IF they back it up on the pitch.

Any win tonight would be great. Hopefully Mane hits top form as he’s been a bit off his standards of last season in the Prem, and at his best he can make stuff happen from nothing and is a match winner.

I want some away goals to open up the tie. We need it hectic, as we're still terrible at being calm and methodical in big games.

Hopefully Porto watched the Southampton game and will set up in a similar way as they did. Especially the second half.

I'd actually go with Lovren to partner van Dijk as Porto have a bunch of physical specimens up front in Marega, Aboubakar and Soares. They're all huge and fast and I'd rather have Lovren to try to deal with that threat than Matip.

Seems they are especially good from set pieces too - so no/not many cheap corners/free kicks that they can sling into our box would be good - kind of free kick like City got right at death the other week for example

I'd actually go with Lovren to partner van Dijk as Porto have a bunch of physical specimens up front in Marega, Aboubakar and Soares. They're all huge and fast and I'd rather have Lovren to try to deal with that threat than Matip.  

Lovren's a walking disaster zone. He'll give away penalties with his rashness. Would rather have Matip starting.

• Upvote 1

No idea what to expect here. So, I'll just set my initial expectations to us shitting ourselves when it matters yet again, and just hope to be surprised. 

This is where I'm at too.

I've gone back and forth about 4 times today between "we'll beat these 0-6 and really send a message out to the rest of Europe" and "Porto are really good at home you know, and I fully expect us to lose 3-1 with the defense gifting them a goal."

I was just starting to get confident and then I saw Lovren was starting and now I'm right back to "he's going to put one into our own net, isn't he?"