You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm not sure if you lads were watching and listening to the Sky commentary. At one point Michael Slater was banging on about Drones and using one to fly from his house 600 yards to the beach to see if there were any waves so he could go surfing. What a cock. 

Guest Pistonbroke

The format, as you say, Is total bollocks. Far too many games over a ridiculously long period. They have qualifying tournaments before hand, surely they could have one more so as the W/C is then played out over a three week period between the top 6 qualifiers. They could play each other twice with two matches being played a day, with the top two teams going on to a final. That would be a total of 30 games plus the final.  Plenty of spare days over a three week period should rain come into play. I guess it's all about money though and making sure all the top nations play in the finals alongside a few others. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Hand Shandy said:

I can assure you there'll be no play at Trent Bridge. Pissing it down, and has been for the best part of 36 hours.

They are hopeful of a few dry periods. Question is, will they be long enough to get a reduced overs game in? I'm guessing both teams would be happy with a point tbh. 

If they'd started the game at about half 6 this morning, they might have got a 10 overs a side bash in.

I'll be gobsmacked if there's any play. I know the pitches have some impressive drainage systems, but it has been raining pretty much non-stop here for almost two days.

The outfield is surely going to be fucked.

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Hand Shandy said:

If they'd started the game at about half 6 this morning, they might have got a 10 overs a side bash in.

I'll be gobsmacked if there's any play. I know the pitches have some impressive drainage systems, but it has been raining pretty much non-stop here for almost two days.

The outfield is surely going to be fucked.

Maybe's the BBC are being over optimistic then. They took the covers off but it started raining again, covers back on. The tournament is turning into a farce. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

In this day and age all International ground outfields should be completely covered when necessary.

They should have less teams in a tournament of this standing and more reserve days, Mike. It's rather pathetic that the weather could have the biggest say in who makes the semi's. 

31 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

The format, as you say, Is total bollocks. Far too many games over a ridiculously long period. They have qualifying tournaments before hand, surely they could have one more so as the W/C is then played out over a three week period between the top 6 qualifiers. They could play each other twice with two matches being played a day, with the top two teams going on to a final. That would be a total of 30 games plus the final.  Plenty of spare days over a three week period should rain come into play. I guess it's all about money though and making sure all the top nations play in the finals alongside a few others. 

I'd be happy with some sort of qualifying period that whittles it down to eight teams for the competition proper. Two groups of four, play each other twice in the group. So each team would play six group games, not nine, then have a semi final and a final. Two games every day, one from each group. Plenty of scope for a team that lost its first game, or even two, to come back, but considerably less chance of weeks of dead rubbers. 

And, like your format, it wouldn't require seven weeks. You could do the lot in a shade over a month.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

I'd be happy with some sort of qualifying period that whittles it down to eight teams for the competition proper. Two groups of four, play each other twice in the group. So each team would play six group games, not nine, then have a semi final and a final. Plenty of scope for a team that lost its first game, or even two, to come back, but considerably less chance of weeks of dead rubbers. 

That would also work. Definitely needs changing. Although when you listen to the so called experts they keep saying that this format being used is the most favoured with players and fans. 

18 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

They should have less teams in a tournament of this standing and more reserve days, Mike. It's rather pathetic that the weather could have the biggest say in who makes the semi's. 

I like this set up if i’m honest everyone playing everyone, but it’s pointless if you lose a lot of games to the weather. 

Guest Pistonbroke

England V WI

England won the toss and decided to bowl. Overcast and cold so a no brainer. Rain should keep away apart from the odd shower. WI 2/0 after 2 overs.