You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Happy to let Gomez make his mistakes at LFC?

neilpoole2005

According to James Pearce Rodgers says there's no chance Joe Gomez will go out on loan this season. 'He will stay here and compete for a place.' #LFC

This is a welcome change to our usual strategy with young defenders who disappear of the face of the earth. I can put up with him making his mistakes and learning at Liverpool if it proves more beneficial in the long run than a loan move. For me, this is great news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good news, but I seem to recall similar things being said about Ilori before he left six months later on loan due to not getting a look in.

Speaking of which, has he signed a new deal yet? If he goes on another loan that'll leave him with just two years left, which we don't seem to have much luck with.

According to James Pearce Rodgers says there's no chance Joe Gomez will go out on loan this season. 'He will stay here and compete for a place.' #LFC

This is a welcome change to our usual strategy with young defenders who disappear of the face of the earth. I can put up with him making his mistakes and learning at Liverpool if it proves more beneficial in the long run than a loan move. For me, this is great news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's normal for us to keep young English players we sign at the club if you think about it, I'm guessing it has something to do with them being classed as homegrown players where they have to be at the club 3 years before they are 21.

I didn't see the game but apparently he looked very good, I always favour keeping young players here rather then loaning them after seeing Spearing lose his confidence after a poor loan and Sterling benefiting from staying and working with top class players everyday.

I want Ilori and Gomez to stick around and be given a chance to stake their claim. Toure is the most baffling decision. Way past his best. Jittery, prone to errors, and not good on the ball. As a seasoned pro you accept a bit of a loss of pace and athletic ability, but the trade-off is usually composure. Unfortunately Toure doesn't have that. I've heard people say he may have been retained for what he does off the pitch. It makes a bit of sense, but it's all a bit odd to me. 

Lovren was so bad last season that I want to see him stay just to see if there is a player in there. He looked much better at Southampton so I'm hoping he might recapture that form. To lose him now would be a bad economic decision as his value is at a low point, and maybe, just maybe, he might prove to be much better this term, especially if Sakho can't stay fit. 

I am hoping we see Ilori and Gomez get some minutes. The former bossed Harry Kane for the U-21 Portugal side. A lot of Premier League defenders couldn't manage that last season. And I like the noises around Gomez. I just hope Toure doesn't get the minutes that these players need to stake their claim. 

If being behind Toure and Lovren doesn't give you the kick to push on and make the first team then nothing will. That applies to both young CB's although it sounds as if Gomez will cover LB.

A Europa back four of Wisdom, Ilori, Lovren, Gomez is probably going to get slaughtered but swap out Lovren for Sakho and it's not far behind the first team.