You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

19 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Well done to your lad mate, that’s some achievement. Is that Cameron at the back?

Why, yes!

And some more famous faces…

The owner of the copyright was ‘persuaded’ to take the photo out of circulation in case it would cause embarrassment to Cameron in the build up to election.

Here’s the full story and cast list, quite a list of the great and the ‘good’.

https://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/the-bullingdon-club/

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Why, yes!

The owner of the copyright was ‘persuaded’ to take the photo out of circulation in case it would cause embarrassment to Cameron in the build up to election.

Thanks for the link. No brickies then? Re the second photograph I have long said that I’ve never seen a face as genuinely evil looking as a young George Osborne. He’d have played a great psycho on Game of Thrones.

31 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Sunak's only saving grace is he sounds like an alien and you could say: "hail Sunak!" And it wouldn't sound terrible.

salute-roman.gif

Sounds like Klingon although that probably comes across a tad racist.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Why, yes!

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Who is the mystery dude in the first photo?

10 fellas, nine names.

(10) Code72, renowned football expert, statistician and King of all of Stavenger, Norway

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Personally I think that's a short term view to leave now, when that doesn't work, does the east coast split from the west? That's pretty much the argument brexiteers put up about leaving the EU. 

What they should do imo is exactly what you say about helping getting this government out and get themselves at the heart of the UK. Which again is what the UK should have done in Europe. Instead of sitting on the fringes spending most of our time moaning about what the French and Germans wanted to do, we should have got ourselves fully committed and drove the direction of the EU. 

The difference was the UK had a seat at the top table, more than equal partners and encouraged to be more involved.  The UK can't say the same of Scotland.  

7 minutes ago, Moo said:

The difference was the UK had a seat at the top table, more than equal partners and encouraged to be more involved.  The UK can't say the same of Scotland.  

Scotland has always been influencial in the UK and has provided lots of senior politicians. It's become less influential as it's gown more insular. 

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Scotland has always been influencial in the UK and has provided lots of senior politicians. It's become less influential as it's gown more insular. 

How many countries do you need to have to still qualify as a kingdom?

Like what if it comes down to just England and Wales?

4 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Why, yes!

Imagine looking at that picture and thinking. 

Yep those are just the sort of people we need running the country. 

4 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Why, yes!

Looks like some shit 80s New Wave band.

8 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Imagine looking at that picture and thinking. 

Yep those are just the sort of people we need running the country. 

It's absolutely mental. You vote for someone to represent you at local, national and international level. That person should have your interests or at least those of the wider society. Who looks at Rees Mogg and thinks that's the person that should represent me? How did London think Boris Johnson was the best man to be their mayor? Its truly fucked up, Rishi is the name I keep hearing on voxpops. A billionaire tax avoider, seriously in a time when the average man is worried about his gas bill the general public think someone with 10 houses and 3 passports is the man to look after their interests.

13 minutes ago, No2 said:

It's absolutely mental. You vote for someone to represent you at local, national and international level. That person should have your interests or at least those of the wider society. Who looks at Rees Mogg and thinks that's the person that should represent me? How did London think Boris Johnson was the best man to be their mayor? Its truly fucked up, Rishi is the name I keep hearing on voxpops. A billionaire tax avoider, seriously in a time when the average man is worried about his gas bill the general public think someone with 10 houses and 3 passports is the man to look after their interests.

All this gives a lie to the reasons for keeping FPTP. People rarely vote for a local candidate to represent their interests in Parliament (though it is not unheard of). People vote for a party. End of. Johnson claiming an overwhelming mandate of 80 seats based upon 40% of the vote can't be right and is both unhealthy and dangerous. I'd rather moderate ideas passing through parliamentary concensus under PR than the kind of attempted sweeping power grab we're seeing now.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, No2 said:

It might come as a huge surprise, so steady yourself,  maybe sit your sen down, but he lied, a lot, then underdelivered on an almost Hermes level whilst syphoning off cash to his mates, lovers, backers and blackmailers.

I know, I know, who'd a thunk it?

9 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

It always comes down to either a lack of common sense or a lack of education. Both are presently in abundance amongst the general population. 

Given the constant barrage they face through an increasingly right wing social media, print media and news channels, it is little wonder some have voted against their own interests. Basically, people are easily influenced by their peers. I love reading research like this:

https://www.simplypsychology.org/asch-conformity.html

• Upvote 1