You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

Boris will hang himself, he can't help it. His cabinet is a nest of vipers but they're fucking shit, half have already been sacked previously including Boris. He's only playing to a crowd of his own nutters. But Labour will have to be better at attacking them. 

Guest Pistonbroke
38 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That Corbyn is shit and everything the Lib Dems have ever done or will ever do is completely wonderful. 

The Lib Dems are just enjoying a kick due to Brexit, they'll soon be irrelevant again, unless they jump into bed to form a coalition. 

Tory MP Margot James who resigned as a minister and is against a no deal Brexit:

As Johnson appointed a series of rightwingers to his No 10 operation and cabinet, James also raised concerns that some of the “shady people” around him and some of those who “funded the original referendum campaign” would want to take the administration in the direction of slashing corporate taxes and regulations.

There is a cadre of owners of large private companies who want Brexit because they want a low-tax, low-regulation economy,” she said.

James said any relaxation in the pace of deficit reduction should go towards funding public service priorities such as policing and social care rather than sweeping tax cuts. “It worries me about the country because I don’t think they’re the right policy goals,” she said.

The former business and media minister said there was no benefit to a no-deal Brexit, and criticisedarrogant politicians, most of whom have never been in business, or run a business, to think that they know better than the people running companies in this country”.

And on a VONC, you can see here that now is not the time for that as those Tories that might potentially bring down the government aren't ready yet as they are in wait and see mode (plus you have to factor in complete arseholes like Ian Austin, Kate Hoey, John Woodward and Frank Field that might potentially vote with the government):

James is one of the senior Conservative MPs who resigned before Johnson took office and made clear they would fight a no-deal Brexit, saying she now felt freer to “resist the Steve Baker vision of the world” on a cross-party basis.

The former chancellor Philip Hammond, ex-justice secretary David Gauke and former development secretary Rory Stewart were among those who made clear they would not serve under Johnson. They are expected to join the ranks of vocal rebels on the Tory backbenches.

James denied earlier this week that she could be on the brink of defecting to the Liberal Democrats. But asked whether she could quit the party like Nick Boles, who is now an independent, she said: “I am really going one month at a time now. My goal is to make sure we leave in an orderly way with a negotiated settlement. And the other goal is to make sure we do not leave as the legal default implies without a deal.

I wish to achieve those goals with minimum damage to my party. A lot more colleagues are thinking more about what is in the national interest.

James refused to say whether she was one of those Tory MPs – like Hammond and Dominic Grieve – who would countenance voting down a Johnson administration pursuing no deal, even if it could trigger a general election.

Asked if she would face a difficult decision, she said: “Very. I’m not at the moment prepared to answer that question. If you’d asked me that question six months ago it would have been completely unthinkable. One can posit all these Doomsday scenarios so I’ve decided I’m not going to answer the question.

“Most MPs are clear they would all support the government come what may. Then there is a very small minority in which they say there are circumstances in which they couldn’t. I’m kind of in between. I would find it very hard and I’m hopeful that other means will be found. Most of all, I’m hopeful most of all that Boris will tone down his Brexit policy.”

However, she said no one could predict whether the new PM was prepared to disappoint hardline Eurosceptics, to whom he has made a promise to scrap the backstop and strike a completely new deal with Brussels.

“Boris uses a lot of language. We don’t know yet whether he is able to adjust his style, or whether he even wants to – but it’s what my father would call ‘loose talk’. I think it comes from the war: ‘Loose talk costs lives.’ It’s unsubstantiated, quickly backtracked from words, that sound good the moment you use them. His campaign has been full of that – and maybe he will change. So we don’t know yet,” she said.

James said she believed about 25 Conservative MPs might be prepared to vote against no deal once resignations from Johnson’s government were complete.

And she was cryptic about the possibility of Tories joining Labour and Lib Dem MPs to form a government of national unity to avoid no deal, amid several reports that preliminary talks were already happening.

“I am aware I’m on the record, so I’m not going to comment on that,” she said.

Four of the cabinet wrote that Britannia unchained book which basically said the British are lazy Bastards and we need lower taxes for big business.

Johnson wrote in 2013 that envy and greed were useful drivers for the economy.

Javed's hero is Ayn Rand, the neoliberal version of Karl Marx, and he reads the courtroom scene from one of her books out twice a year.

This lot make Thatcher look like Nye Bevan.

Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the US House of Representatives, has restated her view that congress will not pass a UK-US trade deal if Boris Johnson’s government puts the open border between Ireland and Northern Ireland at risk, the Irish Times reports. Pelosi said:

We made it clear in our conversations with senior members of the Conservative party earlier this year that there should be no return to a hard border on the island. That position has not changed. Any trade deal between the US and Great Britain would have to be cognisant of that.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, M_B said:

Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the US House of Representatives, has restated her view that congress will not pass a UK-US trade deal if Boris Johnson’s government puts the open border between Ireland and Northern Ireland at risk, the Irish Times reports. Pelosi said:

We made it clear in our conversations with senior members of the Conservative party earlier this year that there should be no return to a hard border on the island. That position has not changed. Any trade deal between the US and Great Britain would have to be cognisant of that.

9 minutes ago, M_B said:

Fun fact, she's distantly related to Marc Pelosi who played in our youth team 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Typical Tory attitude though. They decimate public services then come out all guns blazing about how they are going to fix it....they totally forget that the whole problem is of their own making due to cut backs in all the wrong places. 

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Typical Tory attitude though. They decimate public services then come out all guns blazing about how they are going to fix it....they totally forget that the whole problem is of their own making due to cut backs in all the wrong places. 

To be fair their voters forget too.

Boris is a twat, but....

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-boris-johnson-apologises-slurs-3334849

Boris Johnson today said he was "very, very sorry" for comments made in a 2004 Spectator article about Liverpool FC fans involved in the Hillsborough disaster.

Speaking in central London, the capital’s mayor said: "I’m very, very glad that this report does lay to rest the false allegation that was made at the time about the behaviour of those fans.

"I was very, very sorry in 2004 that the Spectator did carry an editorial that partially repeated those allegations, I apologised then and I apologise now.

"I do hope the families of the 96 victims will take some comfort from this report and that they can reach some sort of closure."

Mr Johnson went on: "I'm glad that this independent report has finally nailed the myth that drunken fans were in any way responsible for the deaths of 96 people.

"That was a lie that unfortunately and very, very regrettably got picked up in a leader in the Spectator in 2004, which I was then editing.

"I went to Liverpool to apologise unreservedly for that mistake and I repeat that apology today."

(2012)

And if course let's not forget he is a twat. The Echo seem to have a very short memory or their team consist of incompetent fools.  

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/boris-johnson-brazenly-refuses-apologise-16645338

The new Prime Minister Boris Johnson has directly refused to apologise for slurs made against Liverpool and those affected by the Hillsborough disaster in a magazine he edited.

Mr Johnson, who assumed the highest office in the land yesterday, was called out by Liverpool MP Maria Eagle in the House of Commons today for editing and publishing the hugely offensive article in The Spectator in 2004.

The infamous piece - written by Simon Heffer - but edited and approved by Mr Johnson, smeared Liverpool and its people following the brutal beheading of Scouse engineer Ken Bigley in Iraq.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Says the grandmaster of just that. 

Well, I don't know about that. I must say I don't recall requesting that someone apologise for something they've already apologised for on several occasions.

22 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Well, I don't know about that. I must say I don't recall requesting that someone apologise for something they've already apologised for on several occasions.

I meant the point-scoring behaviour SD but of course you knew that already