You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

34 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I think he simply appeals to people who have no interest in politics.

Too simplistic. Politics impacts every aspect of life and whilst millions are indifferent to the day to day machinations of  what goes on in Westminster they are aware enough to vote for those that offer simple answers to complex questions . How we get people to engage in substantive issues again is beyond me. I never thought we could end up with a government that openly lies and gets away with it in the way this shower of cunts do.There has to be reckoning at some point or we are truly fucked.   

He's in a tough spot politically.  He could delay re-opening for another month but his stock among his own party would fall massively, and then he might not last long enough to reap the rewards of being careful.  Someone else may become leader and walk into a scenario where all the hard yards have been done and there's just an open goal.  His legacy of being PM would have no happy ending.  There's only one thing worse than never being PM, it's being remembered as an awful PM. 

The thing is, us re-opening is eye-opening for the world.  Israel haven't even done it.  This is an experiment and we are the guinea pigs. 

Don’t remember any headlines asking if you would trust this man with your wife? Or sub headlines saying father of 7, D notices on 3 more, and is compromised by Russian billionaire gangsters. 

As if the “media” aren’t complicit. They still “review” the headlines of newspapers on BBC and Sky. 

He’ll fuck up the country even more, kill more people, and go back to being a “columnist” for the Telegraph. 

8 hours ago, magicrat said:

Too simplistic. Politics impacts every aspect of life and whilst millions are indifferent to the day to day machinations of  what goes on in Westminster they are aware enough to vote for those that offer simple answers to complex questions . How we get people to engage in substantive issues again is beyond me. I never thought we could end up with a government that openly lies and gets away with it in the way this shower of cunts do.There has to be reckoning at some point or we are truly fucked.   

But when does that come?

Its seems every revelation is met with a collective shrug of the shoulders.

He has been an utter disaster over covid with one of the worst death rates in europe and he has become even more popular.

It defies belief.

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

But when does that come?

He has been an utter disaster over covid with one of the worst death rates in europe and he has become even more popular.

It defies belief.

The power of having the media on your side. It's what they choose not to focus on. Labour MP stands on some grass with a do not stand on the grass sign and they may aswell of spat in the queen's face and wiped their arse on the union jack. A tory MP can almost do what the fuck they like and its move along. The covid contracts alone should sink the tories its a national disgrace but we also have a huge element of I've picked a side now I must back it to the hilt. Politics is broken. My personal opinion is we desperately need proportional representation so people can actually vote positively for what they want and not what they are trying to prevent, my vote is worthless in a Labour safe seat and often the Labour candidate does not deserve my vote.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Here's an experiment, go into your works canteen today, stand on a chair, clink a glass with a spoon and give a little speech saying Boris is a liar with at least 10 kids and is unfit to PM.

Done. You were absolutely right. Diddly Squat.

To be fair though, I already knew the dog has no interest in politics and the wife never speaks to me before the sun goes over the yardarm. 

I also used a mug, rather than a glass, as I’m not a Tory. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

People don't care anymore. As people get more affluent, they drift to the right and interest in activism declines. Give the population a big flat screen telly, a foreign holiday, cheap booze and a successful national football team and that's the end of mass political engagement.

Here's an experiment, go into your works canteen today, stand on a chair, clink a glass with a spoon and give a little speech saying Boris is a liar with at least 10 kids and is unfit to PM. People wont even look up from their sandwiches let alone storm the barricades. The media know this so don't bother anymore. The analysis posted by @Bruce Spannerillustrates this, there's a reason the Guardian has less readers than the Daily Star. Most people don't give a fuck anymore. As somebody with a life long interest in politics its very depressing. 

You defeat your own argument though as ALL newspapers are political in nature and present a version of reality to their readership that they allign with one political philosophy or other, some more veiled than others, and others more dogmatic than others, but they are all owned for a reason and that reason is influnence.

Influence in mindsets, influence in politics, influence in ideas.

Print media is not a revenue generator, that's never been the aim.

The aim is influence and however subtly that is done it still meets the objective of convincing people that your worldview is the one worth listening to weather that is indepth analyisis, dogwhistling racism or 'Jo, 23 from Darlington' says 'Bozza's the best' as she give us a shot of her ample bosoms.

Semiotics is something that newspapers bought in to heavily and with the behavioural scientist thay use way to subtly influence and change behaviours and attitudes, I don't feel there's an argument against that.

The efficacy of this is the debate, but this now has to be repositioned as the internet and social media are bigger ways for a lot of people to get their news and the Daily Mail website is the most visited 'news' website on the planet and that's rabid Tory and anti-immigration and evn though you might be there to look at 'How much must Kim Khardashin hate herslef for letting her feet get so ugly' with candide long lense shots you will be still taking in the headlines and the pictures from the other stories and they leave a residual for the mind to absorb.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The power of having the media on your side. It's what they choose not to focus on. Labour MP stands on some grass with a do not stand on the grass sign and they may aswell of spat in the queen's face and wiped their arse on the union jack. A tory MP can almost do what the fuck they like and its move along. The covid contracts alone should sink the tories its a national disgrace but we also have a huge element of I've picked a side now I must back it to the hilt. Politics is broken. My personal opinion is we desperately need proportional representation so people can actually vote positively for what they want and not what they are trying to prevent, my vote is worthless in a Labour safe seat and often the Labour candidate does not deserve my vote.

Without a doubt the media plays a part but its just baffling how one of the most destructive,inept, corrupt gmnts in living memory can  be so popular. 

They have literally stolen money from people during a pandemic and given it to their mates and people havent given a toss.

I just cant help thinking that a huge chunk of people who have less than a passing interest in politics see him as some sort of maverick,which I guess takes us back to the media.

Colonel Kurtz has been up past the Tory DMZ in leafy, green Surrey with his analysis there.

Affluent people in the UK care about “causes” like Fairtrade cocaine, trans shotputters, and non white women getting jobs in the City to asset strip business, launder Fairtrade drug money, and promote tax avoidance.

The causes they don’t care about include why entire areas of the own country are left “to look to their own salvation” and “think yourself out of poverty and crime” while simultaneously being denied real investment, jobs and education. And having an entire TV channel with non stop programmes about them, made by “affluent” people. 

It’s apathy, and the MO once Thatcher got in was to mimic the goose stepping Chileans and their Chicago Boys reforms without the bodies being dropped from helicopters. 

Tell people Boris’ relatives order the execution of British soldiers for having PTSD when they didn’t have the vote they might think twice for a second, but I doubt it. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

3 quick points:

I think the hedonistic british public see something of themselves in him. We are one of the open and most hedonistic cultures in Europe; binge drinking, drugs, promiscuity, sexual orientation, most people don't (rightly) give a fuck about other peoples personal behaviour so the 10 kids stuff just doesn't resonate. He was the first PM not to fit the happily married with 2 kids stereotype since Heath (although the Mays don't have kids). I also think he was the first PM to have been divorced. He appears to have more in common with the mass population than other dry as dust mainstream politicians and he plays to this ruthlessly. He's not serious about policy or ideas but neither are most of the people in Wetherspoons with England flags on their cars. 

The media is dominated by right wing billionaires but a lot of people dont read newspapers or watch the news anymore. Social media has become much more influential and hence the rise of single issue campaigns which quickly come to dominant the agenda. Anyone can start a blog or a twitter feed. Brexit wasn't a party or media driven phenomena originally, and the same for black lives matter and trans rights, all of these single issues have , rightly or wrongly, become very successful in achieving social change through social media activism. 

Finally politics is a market place for both ideas and more critically people's attention. Get Brexit done worked as a slogan because people were bored with the issue, bored with arguing with relatives and colleagues about it and just wanted politics back out of their lives. Johnson plays to that a lot, simple ideas (20,000 more police officers) that sound like a good idea and don't need any thought on the part of the electorate. In contrast, the left have got bogged down in difficult and nuanced policy territory or ill thought through ideas. I cant, without googling, think of a single Labour policy that you could write in 3 words apart from the 4 day week.

Given all of the above, I think he will be PM for at least a decade (unless he gets bored/bankrupt/carrie leaves him) and this country will be unrecognizable at the end of it. A weird mix of Hong Kong, Little england and Ibiza.  Hey ho. 

There may be a glimmer of hope - Churchill didn't win the general election after WW2, one reason being that he was identified with the war which was something the populace wanted to move on from. Is there a chance Johnson will be seen as the covid PM and voters will want something new next election? Of course, this assumes he won't simply stand down as some have suggested, eg Cummings. 

8 hours ago, Arniepie said:

But when does that come?

It defies belief.

It does defy belief mate but there will eventually be a reckoning . Maybe this new Lamda variant they'e concerned about evading vaccines will be the turning point . A significant increase in deaths and another U turn on lockdown would probably turn the tide. More likely Johnson will be backstabbed imo. 

Guy on GMB just saying Boris constantly lies and hasn't got a clue, interrupted by Susannah Reid quite quickly before he makes his further point but she can't stop him he just keeps on talking unfortunately keeps on interrupting so you can't hear what he says only for her to add but these "supposed lies, no one cares". Another guy pulled up on Boris lies over the Ireland situation said it wasn't lying just "wishful thinking". Fucking outrageous response to what could be devastating. Boris is a lying bastard and anybody who finds it acceptable is a fucking disgrace.

• Upvote 1

Shameful from this tory bastard turning the issue of lies and lying in Parliament to people just being angry about brexit. Him and people like him telling lies purely to further their own agendas at huge cost to everybody else on every issue not just brexit is ruinous to this country. The whataboutery is astounding, pulled up on how unscrupulous you are and its "were human and have flaws sympathise with us" when these aren't flaws they are blatantly thought about choices from entitled uncaring arseholes.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Guy on GMB just saying Boris constantly lies and hasn't got a clue, interrupted by Susannah Reid quite quickly before he makes his further point but she can't stop him he just keeps on talking unfortunately keeps on interrupting so you can't hear what he says only for her to add but these "supposed lies, no one cares". Another guy pulled up on Boris lies over the Ireland situation said it wasn't lying just "wishful thinking". Fucking outrageous response to what could be devastating. Boris is a lying bastard and anybody who finds it acceptable is a fucking disgrace.

About 60% of country isn't it??

Making an absolute show of himself at the liaison committee.

No idea about his brief, no grasp on detail, repeating planned lines about previous things, no idea about future planning, or when this will appear.

’So, there is no plan is there, Mr Prime Minster?’ being the key take away throughout.

He just says a big number, says there’s a plan for something at some point and blusters.

Pathetic.

From the report on his holiday in Mustique that was funded by donor and not recorded, then denied, then attempted to sweep under the carpet, then investigate…

‘The rules require members to fulfil “conscientiously” the requirement of the house in respect of the registration of interests in the register of members’ financial interests. Because he did not make sufficient inquiries to establish the full facts about the funding arrangements for his free accommodation, either before his holiday, as he should have done, or in 2020, I find that Mr Johnson has not fulfilled conscientiously the house’s requirements for registration. I find that this is a breach of paragraph 14 of the code of conduct. I also find that Mr Johnson has not shown the accountability required of those in public life.’

Reports verdict?

Not guilty of breaking the standards code.

Bullshit.

I genuinely dont think I've despised a politician more than that fucking buffoon.

It's almost surreal people cant see through his constant bullshit.

Surely someone should have the balls to say to him..no answer the fucking question his epic bumbling cunt?

• Upvote 2

At least Cartman is pretending to be a retard. Johnson is like fucking retard inception people are convinced his stupidity is an act and he's actually smart the truth is he's an idiot desperate to make himself look more intelligent than he actually is and he fails with almost every word spoken. Someone said he's educated beyond his intellect. He's a try hard whose expensive education gave him nothing more than vanity props to display rather than insight or knowledge. Fuck him fuck all those who who deem him an acceptable public servant.