You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

20 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, given the moronic way we teach the alphabet in this country (Ah, Buh, Cuh, Duh etc). My parents taught me the names of the letters and I was reading fluently by the age of 3.

Sounds like something straight out of Alan Partridge’s autobiography. 

• Upvote 8

12 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Anyway, Boris extends lead despite sleaze 

Yeah but it's all about Covid. Sleaze doesn't matter now. Not right now. 

But if the British public can't go abroad and there's a pic of Johnson sunbathing in Mustique later in the year, then that's a problem for his polls. 

21 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, given the moronic way we teach the alphabet in this country (Ah, Buh, Cuh, Duh etc). My parents taught me the names of the letters and I was reading fluently by the age of 3.

No you weren’t. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

We live in a country where an Aldi caterpillar cake has been subjected to more legal scrutiny than the Greensill deals which appears to have cost the country 5 billion quid. 

Can't trust the Germans!

#Brexit

2 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

Sounds like something straight out of Alan Partridge’s autobiography. 

Way to spectacularly miss the point. Which is that there's no reason why ANY child shouldn't be able to read by the time they start school, if they're taught properly.

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Way to spectacularly miss the point. Which is that there's no reason why ANY child shouldn't be able to read by the time they start school, if they're taught properly.

I could read before I started school. Once there a couple of us used to get sent to the library to amuse ourselves while our remaining classmates struggled with the latest Janet and John (one for older posters).

Whilst there, one afternoon, aged about five. I picked up a book on the unmentionable. There was a picture of a smiling man holding a ginormous trophy with big ears. I thought to myself well here is some glory I could hunt. The rest, as they say, is history. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

I could read before I started school. Once there a couple of us used to get sent to the library to amuse ourselves while our remaining classmates struggled with the latest Janet and John (one for older posters).

Whilst there, one afternoon, aged about five. I picked up a book on the unmentionable. There was a picture of a smiling man holding a ginormous trophy with big ears. I thought to myself well here is some glory I could hunt. The rest, as they say, is history. 

Never seen the fucking point to be honest, just look at the pictures.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Friend of mine taught primary school in a rough part of Nottingham in the 1980s. She had kids at the age of 5 who didn't know what colors were let alone being able to read.

I think the Government should make sub titles compulsory for kids TV so at least they get some education pre school even if they are just being dumped in front of a TV all day.  

Hmm sub titles on the latest slasher movie, not sure that's wise.