You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I keep hearing this message that nobody cares about this outside the ‘Westminster Bubble’.

Although I can kind of understand the flat decorations stuff. If what is alleged to have happened is true, then we should care but I see for myself how many can’t be arsed to get their heads around it. 

The ‘let the bodies pile up...’ words is a totally different matter. It suggests someone who is totally detached from the individual stories of suffering and grief, every one of our Covid deaths have created.

It’s a mindset that screams that, to him, if 120k deaths becomes 250k then he can live with that if it means protecting the economy. Now of course economic distress has its victims as well, but the alleged language used dismisses the fact that every avoidable death, due to lockdown delay, is someone’s mother, father, brother, sister etc.

If he said this, or words close to it, and it’s proven then it would be a sad indictment on the values of this country if he was allowed to stay in his job. 

The problem with that argument though is the bodies piled up and the economy tanked, whilst having some of the most stringent and restrictive measures in place. Every decision has been bad and mistimed, every thought towards protection of image and looking out for friends. Every action one of self preservation and self delusion. A man child who would struggle in a call centre, let alone a senior position in one. 

I’m not one for hyperbolic nonsense, but he, some in the cabinet and some of the advisors should face charges for how appallingly this has been done, maybe it’ll come, one can hope.

He’s the worst person at the worst possible time.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The problem with that argument though is the bodies piled up and the economy tanked, whilst having some of the most stringent and restrictive measures in place. Every decision has been bad and mistimed, every thought towards protection of image and looking out for friends. Every action one of self preservation and self delusion. A man child who would struggle in a call centre, let alone a senior position in one. 

I’m not one for hyperbolic nonsense, but he, some in the cabinet and some of the advisors should face charges for how appallingly this has been done, maybe it’ll come, one can hope.

He’s the worst person at the worst possible time.

Absolutely and I’m not even talking about the results of his decision making, which have obviously contributed massively to the shit we’ve endured up to now and will continue to do so for years to come.

My point is more about the kind of man who thinks it’s ok to use that kind of language, those words, whilst in his current position. I know it’s not yet proven and probably won’t be but these are the words of someone who doesn’t see the majority of the population as people. Voters perhaps, but not people. 

• Upvote 4

The news on Virgin Radio (owned by Murdoch) described the latest allegations as "The prime minister is alleged to have said he's prefer to allow the virus to spread and develop, rather than enter another national lockdown."

That's not quite what he's alleged to have said. That's a real over dilution to the point where it is almost not actually reporting the news at all. 

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

This probably sums up the UK.

Teresa Coffey has been doing the morning lie and deflect rounds.

Fallen on familiar ground ‘Right minded voters don’t care about furnishing. There’s a pandemic on thats what they’re interested in’

’No, they are interested in it, Teresa’

’How dare the left ignore the pandemic and focus on gossip at a time of national struggles, they should be ashamed of themselves. That’s the problem with the left, they’re more concerned about scoring political points during a pandemic than supporting the national effort and and any right minded person thinks the same’

Its glorious in its effectiveness.

A man who was filmed saying money spent investigating historical allegations of child abuse had been ‘spaffed up the wall’, who publicly likens women wearing the Burqa to ‘bankrobbers’ and ‘letterboxes’, knowing full well which whistle he’s blowing, who is in print using phrases like ‘bumboys’ and ‘piccaninies with watermelon smiles’ and who said Sirte could be the new Dubai...’all they have to do is clear the dead bodies away’?

Pretty outrageous to suggest he’d say something luridly yet flippantly offensive about an immensely sensitive and painful subject. Anyway, he and Gove have denied it and they seem like a couple of jolly good chaps who can be taken at their word.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

A man who was filmed saying money spent investigating historical allegations of child abuse had been spaffed up the wall, who publicly likens women wearing the Burqa to bankrobbers and letterboxes, knowing full well which whistle he’s blowing, who uses the phrase bumboys, who talks of piccaninies with watermelon smiles and who said Sirte could be the new Dubai...’all they have to do is clear the dead bodies away’?

Pretty outrageous to suggest he’d say something luridly yet flippantly offensive about an immensely sensitive and painful subject. Anyway, he and Gove have denied it and they seem like a couple of jolly good chaps who can be taken at their word.

I agree, I too find myself shocked at the idea that a man as clearly empathetic as he is could have said such a thing. 

Couple of observations:

(1) I hate the fact that we have to be 'given permission' to get pissed off at people like Johnson. By that I mean, if Murdoch or the Daily Mail shit (who clearly wants Gove in place) didn't give a toss, then all their news coverage would be 'stop bashing Boris!' and 'wallpaper shmallpaper - what about the vaccine?'. But, last night, both BBC and ITN news at 10s were covering this 'shocking story' and quoting 'sources' - actual 'sources' - like they'd done some actual public interest journalism. Instead, this is all simply a case of someone high up has flicked a switch and it's time for him to go. 'activate journalism, repeat, activate the journalism, this is not a drill'. Fuck right off. 

(2) Again, none of this is a surprise and I can't be angry at him for being what he is. It's like getting a rescue dog and then losing your rag when it shits on your floor. He is what he is, he's never tried to hide it. The villains of the piece are the British public, they knew him,  they voted for him with the expectation that he would only be bad for other people (remainers, 'the woke', and the like), now many of them are suffering the consequences.  

• Upvote 7

Johnson does what Johnson does. Johnson says what Johnson says. Desperate Dan Hodges for once hit the nail on the head when he just remarked the country has never looked upon Johnson as some honest pagon of virtue. 

It's the ones on "our' side I reserve my scorn. If you get past the greyhound it's hard to disagree with the below,

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I keep hearing this message that nobody cares about this outside the ‘Westminster Bubble’.

This has been really fucking me off for a while. Trying, and succeeding, to condition people into not caring about what the government is up to, that we shouldn't care about morals, theft, corruption, lies, opportunism, racism, homophobia.

People are struggling to care because they've been ground down by this shower over a number of years, so when the public broadcaster comes along and repeatedly reinforces the idea that the general population should not care, then it's an easy win.  Rinse and repeat.

I say it's really fucking me off but probably being ground down and feeling helpless has made me much less wound up about politics and the state that the country (aka "the nation") is in at the moment.  And that's what they want of course.

• Upvote 2

Just now, scottthecanuck said:

What exactly is the point of the Liberal Democrat party? The Green's, SNP and Reform I understand, Labour and Tory is obvious.

Am I wrong in suspecting the 8% supporting the LD are just self-absorbed twats. 

I'm taking a long shot bet on a poster on here nagging that post.