You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

26 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Although he's clearly a complete fucking imbecile I still think Johnson makes the Tories more popular than someone like Gove or Hunt would. Johnson picks up the "lads" vote in a way that they wouldn't be able to. Maybe someone like Hunt would prevent Starmer winning back the Volvo nonce vote in the marginals, but he would make the job of winning back the red wall for Labour much easier.

It mirrors the US. Trump being an even bigger cretin than Johnson means that their base narrows even more but essentially if they replaced Trump with a bog standard Republican then all of those weirdos standing outside town halls with assault rifles would probably not bother voting and just go back to bumming their sisters all day. 

It's more poised in the UK, I think. Trump's numbers are pretty appalling, and he seems to only appeal to the aforementioned sister bummers. If Johnson starts veering towards the same situation then I guess they'd try and fuck him off.

I guess the left are a complete irrelevance. They'll be demanded to just back Biden/Starmer whatever the policies. I don't know enough about the make up of US politics or the system, but I guess politically it makes sense for Starmer to just try and appeal to the swing voter and assume/hope enough of the left don't vote Green/not bother voting in some key seats.

A lot can change over the next four years obviously. The immediacy, and severity, of the situation in the US probably dictates that the left bite their tongue. As Chomksy himself said, you just vote against Trump. The cunt is on route to destroying the entire fucking planet. 

I may have used some artistic licence with Noam's words there.

Yep you can definitely make the case that chasing the reactionary vote would be helped by them having someone like Hunt as leader instead of Johnson, but honestly think we're at the point now where it wouldn't make much difference. I mean even May was popular among the gammon until the right wing press turned on her. I doubt much changes until we've left the EU, anyway. It seems they're intent on doing no-deal which will hopefully backfire on them, but again, given the relatively minor impact 60000 people dying on their watch has had, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it didn't.

Best case scenario at the next election is some kind of coalition with SNP, I reckon. Fucking bleak times, especially for the left.

3 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Yep you can definitely make the case that chasing the reactionary vote would be helped by them having someone like Hunt as leader instead of Johnson, but honestly think we're at the point now where it wouldn't make much difference. I mean even May was popular among the gammon until the right wing press turned on her. I doubt much changes until we've left the EU, anyway. It seems they're intent on doing no-deal which will hopefully backfire on them, but again, given the relatively minor impact 60000 people dying on their watch has had, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it didn't.

Best case scenario at the next election is some kind of coalition with SNP, I reckon. Fucking bleak times, especially for the left.

Brexit trumps all. 

I can't envisage a situation where the result of Brexit, which will be fucking hideous, will be sufficiently shit that enough people turn on the Tories. It'll just get pinned on Europe. 

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Brexit trumps all. 

I can't envisage a situation where the result of Brexit, which will be fucking hideous, will be sufficiently shit that enough people turn on the Tories. It'll just get pinned on Europe. 

No, me either. And even if it does start to impact their numbers, they'll just knife Johnson and reset again.

Guest Pistonbroke

Brexit will just end up being others faults and not the people and politicians who fought to achieve it. The penny will eventually drop, in more ways than one. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Although he's clearly a complete fucking imbecile I still think Johnson makes the Tories more popular than someone like Gove or Hunt would. Johnson picks up the "lads" vote in a way that they wouldn't be able to. Maybe someone like Hunt would prevent Starmer winning back the Volvo nonce vote in the marginals, but he would make the job of winning back the red wall for Labour much easier.

It mirrors the US. Trump being an even bigger cretin than Johnson means that their base narrows even more but essentially if they replaced Trump with a bog standard Republican then all of those weirdos standing outside town halls with assault rifles would probably not bother voting and just go back to bumming their sisters all day. 

It's more poised in the UK, I think. Trump's numbers are pretty appalling, and he seems to only appeal to the aforementioned sister bummers. If Johnson starts veering towards the same situation then I guess they'd try and fuck him off.

I guess the left are a complete irrelevance. They'll be demanded to just back Biden/Starmer whatever the policies. I don't know enough about the make up of US politics or the system, but I guess politically it makes sense for Starmer to just try and appeal to the swing voter and assume/hope enough of the left don't vote Green/not bother voting in some key seats.

A lot can change over the next four years obviously. The immediacy, and severity, of the situation in the US probably dictates that the left bite their tongue. As Chomksy himself said, you just vote against Trump. The cunt is on route to destroying the entire fucking planet. 

I may have used some artistic licence with Noam's words there.

By 'lads' you mean this firm of heavies right?

EdmnT41XsAAXMd2?format=png&name=large

Guest Pistonbroke

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/boris-johnson-launches-search-for-100k-a-year-spokesperson-to-front-government-press-briefings/29/07/

Hapless Boris Johnson is on the lookout for a £100,000-a-year spokesperson to become the face of the Government in televised press conferences from this Autumn.

According to reports in the Daily Telegraph the successful applicant will “communicate with the nation on behalf of the Prime Minister”.

Strained relationship with the press

The move raises further concerns over the Government’s relationship with the press, which has become strained of late.

Earlier this year reporters from some outlets were ordered to leave Number 10 for a select briefing of certain favoured journalists, while independent photographers have been shut out from recording key Brexit moments.

Football pundit Jeff Stelling hit out at the government for turning the daily coronavirus press briefings into “self-serving propaganda” at the start of the pandemic, which has seen more press scrutiny than ever put on Number 10.

The reaction has been to bar MPs from appearing on certain programmes, such as Good Morning Britain hosted by Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid.

Sidestep altogether

Now the PM could be afforded the opportunity to sidestep the press altogether with a new lucrative surrogate.

The job advert seen by the newspaper states: ‘You will represent the Government and the Prime Minister to an audience of millions on a daily basis, across the main broadcast channels and social media, and have the chance to influence and shape public opinion.’

The move comes as the Government moves to open televised lobby briefings in a White House-style format.

Number 10 is believed to want to appoint a woman, although a large pool of runners and riders have been tipped.

It includes Rishi Sunak’s communications chief and former ITV journalist Allegra Stratton, BBC chief political correspondent Vicki Young and the BBC’s forensic interviewer Andrew Neil, although none has publicly expressed interest.

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/boris-johnson-launches-search-for-100k-a-year-spokesperson-to-front-government-press-briefings/29/07/

Hapless Boris Johnson is on the lookout for a £100,000-a-year spokesperson to become the face of the Government in televised press conferences from this Autumn.

According to reports in the Daily Telegraph the successful applicant will “communicate with the nation on behalf of the Prime Minister”.

Strained relationship with the press

The move raises further concerns over the Government’s relationship with the press, which has become strained of late.

Earlier this year reporters from some outlets were ordered to leave Number 10 for a select briefing of certain favoured journalists, while independent photographers have been shut out from recording key Brexit moments.

Football pundit Jeff Stelling hit out at the government for turning the daily coronavirus press briefings into “self-serving propaganda” at the start of the pandemic, which has seen more press scrutiny than ever put on Number 10.

The reaction has been to bar MPs from appearing on certain programmes, such as Good Morning Britain hosted by Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid.

Sidestep altogether

Now the PM could be afforded the opportunity to sidestep the press altogether with a new lucrative surrogate.

The job advert seen by the newspaper states: ‘You will represent the Government and the Prime Minister to an audience of millions on a daily basis, across the main broadcast channels and social media, and have the chance to influence and shape public opinion.’

The move comes as the Government moves to open televised lobby briefings in a White House-style format.

Number 10 is believed to want to appoint a woman, although a large pool of runners and riders have been tipped.

It includes Rishi Sunak’s communications chief and former ITV journalist Allegra Stratton, BBC chief political correspondent Vicki Young and the BBC’s forensic interviewer Andrew Neil, although none has publicly expressed interest.

I’ll do it. The answer to every question will be; “It’s because we are cunts” followed up by a tutting noise, a rolling of the eyes and a dismissive glare at whoever asked it in the first place as the answer is blatantly obvious. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, YorkshireRed said:

I’ll do it. The answer to every question will be; “It’s because we are cunts” followed up by a tutting noise, a rolling of the eyes and a dismissive glare at whoever asked it in the first place as the answer is blatantly obvious. 

Just refuse to answer any questions that paint the Government in a bad light, change the subject and make up a catchy slogan that nobody believes. I imagine if this is the route they are going down it will only be so as they have a scapegoat and Johnson will just replace them as and when. 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Kuennsberg dusting off her CV

I don't think that's how this is going to work. People will apply but Master of Muppets will appoint The Chosen One.

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Kuennsberg dusting off her CV

She's been more or less silent over the past few months, maybe's the rumours that she's going back to ITV (again) are true. 

On 23/07/2020 at 14:29, Jairzinho said:

Brexit trumps all. 

I'm certain that people aren't aware how bad Brexit is going to be

It's going to be a once in a century historically awful event. In all seriousness

The Tories will lose their claim to economic competence for at least a generation

There will be shortages and riots

12 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

My oldest daughter works in Parliament. She says the current gossip is that Boris may not be the father and Zak Goldsmith is. Apparently there is much anger in the Goldsmith family and talk of divorce. 

Father of who? There's quite a few to choose from where Johnson's concerned.

38 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

My oldest daughter works in Parliament. She says the current gossip is that Boris may not be the father and Zak Goldsmith is. Apparently there is much anger in the Goldsmith family and talk of divorce. 

If that does not win you post of the year nothing will.

2 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

That's from Popbitch last week. It's essentially the same story as Noel Gallagher's kid actually being Goldie's.