You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

1 minute ago, Trumo said:

They are the turd that won't flush.

People on my Facebook today offering personal thanks to ‘Bozza’ for reopening Primark.

Death rates, economic hardships they can overlook. Just as long as they can purchase a sweat shop made top or three.

This turd will indeed take some flushing. 

2 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

Imagine the horror of dying from Covid you caught in Primark and then being buried in the shit clothes you bought there.

I've been Primark twice under my missus recommendation  "it's good for cheap holiday crap you don't mind being ruined with sun screen or whatever". I left that shop thinking women were savages. "Why you picking up stuff off the floor and hanging it back up" cos some poor fucker has to go around cleaning this shite. She then said I'm not allowed to go with her any more after she decided she didn't want the item she carried all around the store so just hung it anywhere and I said "er does that belong there" and made us walk back to where she picked it up from"  she never learnt her lesson because we went a second time. We've never been a third.

4 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

I wish I was as confident that it will actually sink them.

A couple of weeks ago they had a clear choice - let Cummings take the hit for his fucking about, thereby keeping the safety messages clear and helping to save lives; or keep Cummings at all costs, in the expectation that the electorate in 2024 will have forgotten the tens of thousands of preventable deaths and their "master of the Dark Arts" will still be batting for them.

I do have a horrible feeling that their judgement was as sound as their morals are contemptible.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I wonder what the overlap is with Facebook posters slagging off BLM protestors for failing to observe social distancing.

On mine it’s probably very high.

BLM protestors are seen as taking an unacceptable risk for an unnecessary cause though, whereas scrummaging for three for the price of two on loungewear at Primark is a basic human necessity and therefore allowed. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, clangers said:

This has sunk the Tories. The worst thing a government can be seen as is useless, even being openly corrupt would be better. This is the Tories Black Wednesday again, the Major government was perceived as utterly useless from that point onwards and even though they survived another five years they were done for. Labour have a perceived inoffensive, competent centrist leading them just as they had John Smith and Tony Blair (before we discovered his war mongering sociopathy) back then.

One of the worst Coronavirus death rates in the world (affecting many of their core voters) and an ensuing economic depression with the UK performing worse than any other developed economy will finish them. They've delivered a double whammy that even the media won't be able to dig them out of.

I love your optimism but I don't agree with it. I think we live a new world now. People behave differently than they did 25 years ago. We're following American and trump in as much it really doesn't seem to matter what trump does, his core supporters stay with him. I think the same is happening in this country and the poll recently saying people's opinion of how this virus is handled are following brexit lines sums it up for me. Half of the population will still stick with Johnson and will just find excuses why the virus has been so bad here - it won't be Johnson's fault to those who are stupid enough to vote for him. They will believe his bluster that either we did well or the bits that were wrong couldn't be helped. There's a reason they've said "follow the science" since day one. Johnson supporters will blame the science and not him. 

Look at this guy, Fairbass. This is how you do it. Are you gonna hide away, you little pussy, or are you going to challenge Raab to a boxing match? Are you going to let Perlman have all the glory?

During yesterday's Newsnight's and this morning's Today programme the BBC reported from schools where they were supporting pupils and their families by way of food parcels, alongside the government's free school meals vouchers.

Both times they spoke to the headmasters about what they were doing in an attempt to mitigate the problems for their disadvantaged families. Prior to the actual interviews the Newsnight reporter stated that the headmaster "admitted" to being a Labour Party member, and the Today reporter stated that the headmaster "admitted" that he would prefer a Labour government.

Neither men expressed political views or criticised the government during their interviews, but just explained the difficulties their pupils' families were encountering and what they were doing to try and mitigate them.

I look forward to the BBC ascertaining the political views of every interviewee, whether it be a hedge fund manager, a banker, a factory owner, a market stall holder or, indeed, a head teacher and announcing, where it's the case, that they "admit" to being a Tory Party member or a supporter of that party!

Quite.

Arf, for a government with an 80 seat majority, they're very wobbly- https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/16/boris-johnson-faces-tory-rebellion-over-marcus-rashfords-school-meals-call

Back of the net.

Boris Johnson makes U-turn on free school meals vouchers
‘Covid summer food fund’ announced after pressure from campaigners including footballer Marcus Rashford

Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford has called for the government to extend its free school meal scheme through the summer holidays. Photograph: Oli Scarff/AFP/Getty Images
Boris Johnson has executed a humiliating U-turn over free school meals for the poorest families over the summer, announcing a new £120m voucher scheme after pressure from footballer Marcus Rashford.

Just hours before Labour was due to force a vote on the issue in the House of Commons, risking a rebellion from Conservative backbenchers, the prime minister’s official spokesman announced a new £120m “Covid summer food fund”.

“Owing to the corona pandemic, the PM fully understands that children and parents face an entirely unprecedented situation over the summer,” he said.

The U-turn came after ministers repeatedly rejected the idea of extending the scheme over the summer, as they did over the Easter break.

Asked if Rashford’s pleas had helped to change the prime minister’s mind, his spokesman said: “The prime minister welcomes Marcus Rashford’s contribution to the debate around poverty, and respects the fact that he has been using his profile as a sportsman to highlight important issues.”

He said families entitled to free school meals would receive a one-off voucher at the end of the school term, worth £15 a week for the six-week school break, which they can spend in supermarkets.

Rashford had stepped up his campaign to pressure the UK government into feeding hungry children during the school holidays.

Labour was seeking to maximise the government’s embarrassment and force a U-turn, by using an opposition day debate in the House of Commons to hold a vote on extending the voucher scheme.

Several Conservative backbenchers, including former minister George Freeman, and the chair of the education select committee Robert Halfon, had urged the government to change course.

On Tuesday morning, the Manchester United player began tweeting about the UK’s poorest families, who cannot afford to pay their water and electricity bills or put food on the table.

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Halfon commended the government for helping vulnerable families by raising the living wage, cutting taxes for lower earners and extending the freeze on fuel duty.

But he said carrying on with the free school meals programme “would be the right thing to do” as the latest figures show “2.5 million children are not learning” while away from school and food insecurity has “nearly doubled”.

Halfon added: “There are lots of food programmes across different government departments. If they just consolidated those programmes, they would almost have the money for the free school meals programme over the summer, which would cost roughly £110m.”

Ruth Davidson, the former leader of the Scottish Conservatives, tweeted that she was baffled that the scheme had not been extended by Westminster. “I didn’t have or need free school meals, but I went to a school where a huge % did. Food security during the holidays so important. It’s basic. Feed the kids.”

One cabinet minister was criticised after weighing into the debate to correct one of Rashford’s tweets, in which he said: “When you wake up this morning and run your shower, take a second to think about parents who have had their water turned off during lockdown.”

Thérèse Coffey, the work and pensions secretary, replied: “Water cannot be disconnected though.”

Rashford replied, noting: “I’m concerned this is the only tweet of mine you acknowledged. Please, put rivalries aside for a second, and make a difference #maketheuturn.”

The shadow home secretary, Nick Thomas-Symonds, wrote: “Imagine having priorities so warped that this snarky comment is your response to Marcus Rashford‘s powerful campaign.”

Rebecca Long Bailey, the shadow education secretary, used an interview on BBC Breakfast to argue that the issue “is about humanity”.

She said: “There will be many Conservative MPs today watching this and having read Marcus’ letter who will be agonising about whether they support the government or not in this because they will want what’s best for children.”

She added: “So, I’m asking all politicians, whatever party they’re in, this is not about party politics, this is about making sure children don’t go hungry over the summer holidays.”

Rashford has received the full backing of Sir Keir Starmer and Labour.

The Co-op is one of the big businesses to support Rashford. The firm has pledged to extend its free school meals scheme throughout the summer holidays at its 25 academy schools and said that 6,000 students who normally receive government-funded free school meals would receive Co-op gift cards.

7 minutes ago, Marko121 said:

They will frame this as “ we have listened “ and take credit for it. 

why it takes so much pressure for them to do the right thing should be the story 

Horrible set of cunts

Definitely. 

They'll label it as "a compassionate, listening one-nation government" when the reality is that they'll push their luck and try to get away with as much shit as possible, in the hope that the oiks don't notice. 

Guest Pistonbroke

They're just dipping their toes so to speak, post Brexit they'll go fucking crazy and use Covid as an excuse and the usual line of 'You lot voted for this, democracy and all.' 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

You'd hope their fans reflect on their rats in council houses and slums uber bantz.

They are a bunch of thick twats, they'll still sing it.

They still sung the build a bonfire song about burning scouser's when Rooney was on the pitch.

• Upvote 1

Will there be "fitness for work" tests, or the equivalent?

They're out of school, there are thousands of acres of parsnips out there to pick, they're already pretty low to the ground....

The bonus is they can eat the ones that aren't quite up to standard, thereby taking care of the hunger problem.