You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

31 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

At this point, I don't watch anything to do with British politics other than the occasional glance at the Labour leadership race. I just can't face it. It's against pretty much everything I stand for, and there's fuck all I can do to change it. That said, I just popped in to say I dislike Boris Johnson immensely. 

This. It’s gut wrenching 

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

Patel just got hammered on 5 Live. Where was that from the BBC pre-election. Now that the thanks they’ve been given for their useful idiocy is that they are under attack from the government, they’ve suddenly remembered how to do their job.

Heard that and thought exactly the same 

It's being claimed that around 70% of the existing EU national workforce in the UK wouldn't qualify for admittance into the country under the new rules. 

These new rules could be a disaster for the hospitality, food and care industries. 

Plus, it'll be interesting to see if the government do anything to replace the numbers who aren't going to be allowed in. They'll probably increase the amount of unemployed people who are mandated to do unpaid trials/work like "Workfare" as well as declaring a lot more disabled people as "fit to work."

On 20/02/2020 at 02:12, Strontium Dog™ said:

If it means workshy Brexit voters being bussed from Bolton to Norfolk to pick raspberries for 5 months of the year against their wishes, then I'm all for it.

It won’t though will it? It will mean more sick and dying people being declared fit for work, it will mean the continued oppression of the poorest in society whilst the greedy fuckers at the top continue to rake it in. Status Quo - just like holy Jo wanted.

On 19/02/2020 at 15:08, polymerpunkah said:

England for the English?

I'm not English, but im presuming your youths are similar to ours (Ireland) 

Too busy smoking dope, playing PlayStation and sending each other stupid Snapchat videos to get up off their arse and do a minium wage job. 

So by my logic, you'll still need that perceived "under qualified Labour" to wipe the arse of the old folks and clean up the vomit in the children's A&E waiting room. 

6 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

She’s a fucking joke. 

Oh superb. And the hateful bitch won't believe any argument but her own. Someone should have said "Its not a deterrent in America is it you fucking walrus" 

Every front-bench MP should be thrown on Have I Got News For You between Hislop and Merton and if they can survive them two without being scrunched up into a shitty loo roll then they can crack on with sorting the country out. We wouldn't have a tory party. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

He was a guest host for a while. It allowed the then completely irrelevant buffoon to keep his profile high and establish his 'Boris' persona.

They rinsed him though didn't they? Not that the voters gave a fuck that he is a tosser anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They rinsed him though didn't they? Not that the voters gave a fuck that he is a tosser anyway. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/arts/television/have-i-got-news-for-you-boris-johnson-brexit.html

BOREHAMWOOD, England — There are many theories about how Boris Johnson, Britain’s prime minister, and Jacob Rees-Mogg, another politician leading Britain’s exit from the European Union, rose to power.

They were destined to lead thanks to their drive and privileged backgrounds, some say. Or they were best able to tap into a public mood that had soured against the European Union.

But a good many watchers of British television and politics trace the two men’s ascent to something else: “Have I Got News for You,” a long-running BBC quiz show that began its newest season this month.

An institution in Britain, “Have I Got News For You” began airing in 1990 and runs on Friday nights on the BBC’s main channel, averaging 4 million viewers. Highlights appear on Twitter and YouTube, while old episodes play endlessly on Dave, a comedy network.

It’s a simple show. Two captains — Ian Hislop, the much-feared editor of Private Eye, a satirical magazine, and Paul Merton, a comedian — are joined by star guests, often politicians, to joke and answer questions about the week’s news.

Political guests are subject to continual mockery, especially if they have a scandalous past or their policies appear muddled. But for those willing to be laughed at, and to laugh at themselves, the show has become a way to endear themselves to the public in a country where self-deprecation is an art form.

Unlock more free articles.
Create an account or log in
[Back to the voters: Boris Johnson won backing to hold a general election on Dec. 12.]

The show is mentioned repeatedly in profiles of Johnson and Rees-Mogg. Johnson’s appearances were “pop culture classics,” wrote Sonia Purnell in “Just Boris,” a biography. “In the end his TV career may have proved his greatest electoral asset,” she added.

Johnson’s first appearance, in 1998, occurred when he was a journalist and failed Conservative Party parliamentary candidate. Richard Wilson, one of the show’s executive producers, said he saw Johnson, straw-haired and spouting arcane references, on a news show one night, thought, “He’s a slightly ludicrous figure,” and decided to book him.

During Johnson’s appearance, he was asked about a notorious episode in which he was secretly recorded offering to help a friend find the address of a reporter whom the friend, who was later convicted of fraud, wanted to beat up.

Johnson flailed around a bit, but kept his wits.

“I’m not ashamed of it,” he said.

“What are you not ashamed of there, Boris?” he was asked.

“Whatever there is not to be ashamed of,” he added. The audience howled with laughter.

Video

TRANSCRIPT

0:00/1:38
Description: A clip of Boris Johnson’s first appearance on “Have I Got News For You” in 1998. Credit: BBC One, courtesy of Hat Trick Productions

CreditCredit...BBC One, courtesy of Hat Trick Productions
Johnson ended up appearing six more times, honing his bumbling persona in the process. (He would mess up his hair just before the cameras rolled, Wilson said.) For one appearance he was even once nominated for a BAFTA, the British equivalent of an Emmy, for “best entertainment performance.”

Meanwhile, his political star rose. He won election to the House of Commons in 2001, then became mayor of London (he stopped appearing on “Have I Got News For You” after announcing his candidacy for that role). He became prime minister this July following discontent over how his predecessor, Theresa May, had handled negotiations to extricate Britain from the European Union.

Emily Rayner, a civil servant standing in the queue for a recent taping of the show in Borehamwood, a commuter town north of London, said she knew people who had voted for Johnson “because they thought he’s got character, he’s been on ‘Have I Got News for You.’”

Another leading Brexit voice, Rees-Mogg, the House of Commons leader, also got widespread attention from the show, which introduced many people to his antiquarian manner of speech and dress.

Nigel Farage, the leader of the Brexit Party, has been on the show as well, though he was already well known by the time he first appeared.

For those disinclined to favor Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Brexit, or all three, the show has become an easy target for finger-wagging.

“‘Have I Got News for You’ is partially responsible for this whole mess,” wrote Stuart Heritage in The Guardian in April. Johnson’s “entire buffoonish eye-rolling Oh-Boris smokescreen of a persona” was “forged in the fires” of the show, he said. It had also given Rees-Mogg “a reputation as a harmless, self-deprecating Victorian caricature,” he added.

Some of the complaints seem far-fetched. The show can hardly be accused of being pro-Brexit or pro-Boris, rarely passing up an opportunity to send up either.

On Tuesday, after Johnson accepted the European Union’s offer of a further delay to the Brexit process, a Tweet from the show’s popular Twitter account said: “As UK heads into third Brexit extension, country looks forward to another three months of bickering, amateur dramatics and absolutely nothing being achieved before asking the EU for another one.”

Hislop, one of the captains, dismissed the idea that the show was behind Johnson’s success. “If we ask someone on and people like them, that is up to people,” he said in a telephone interview, pointing out he had never given Johnson an easy ride.

(In a 2014 TV documentary about Johnson, however, Hislop said, “There is a sense of guilt that part of Boris’ success has been built on his performances.”)

The show had been blamed for the rise of politicians on the left too, Hislop said. He expected criticism soon if Jess Phillips, another popular guest, became leader of Britain’s Labour Party. “If in 10 years’ time, the country is falling apart due to the fact Jess Phillips has moved violently to the left and totally screwed everything up, there will be people who’ll say, ‘She’s only popular because she was on “Have I Got News for You,”’” he said.

Jimmy Mulville, co-founder of Hat Trick Productions, the company behind the show, said he didn’t lose sleep over Johnson’s or Rees-Mogg’s rise. If anything “gives me cause for concern” about the show, he said, it was when politicians have used it to rehabilitate their public image. Alastair Campbell, Tony Blair’s former spin doctor who was accused of beefing up the case for Britain and America to invade Iraq, had done just that, Mulville said.

Still, he said, such guests were too high-profile for the show to turn down.

The program sometimes makes headlines itself. Not long after the Britain voted for Brexit in 2016, Gary Lineker, a former soccer star, made a joke on the show about how Brexit may not be completed for 10 years. “That’s not fair,” he said. “Most of the people who voted for it will be dead by then.” It prompted outrage from some Brexit campaigners.

Last year, “Have I Got News For You” was accused of being sexist for not booking enough female guests. This May the BBC pulled an episode 20 minutes before broadcast because it featured Heidi Allen, then the leader of Change UK, a small anti-Brexit party. The BBC feared that the publicity the episode gave to her party would breach impartiality rules around the European elections. (The show’s producers said that they offered to air the show with a square covering Allen’s face and bleeping everything she said, but that the BBC declined.)

At a recent taping, the guests weren’t controversial: Layla Moran, a member of the Liberal Democrats and Sara Pascoe, a comedian.

But some comments did cause sharp intakes of breath from the more sensitive members of the audience. At one point, there was discussion about the Jeffrey Epstein scandal that included scathing sarcasm about Prince Andrew’s association with Epstein (the BBC’s on-site lawyer, who watches all tapings for potential libel, didn’t appear to object).

Boris Johnson may not have been a guest, but he was a presence throughout.

The first quiz round was called “Boris’ Brexit Balls-ups” and made fun of his most recent embarrassments, including allegations that he directed public funds toward a friend and that he had once written a failed film script called “Mission to Assyria.”

The host played a clip of one of Johnson’s constituents calling him a “filthy piece of toe-rag.” “And that’s his mother,” Merton said. It got one of the biggest laughs of the night.

Loveable ol' Boris.

He was on every fucking month. 

Allowing him to develop the "loveable buffoon" image rather than the "massive, hateful fucking cunt" reality.

It can be filed away next to allowing Nigel Farage on QT every week despite the fact his party had one MP and he wasn't it. 

Good old BBC.

YEAH BUT LOCAL RADIO AND ATTENBOROUGH.

Comforting stuff for the all the people they've helped to fuck over.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They kept him relevant as cuddly Boris, the Tory boy from the viz caricature. Let’s be honest, pretty much all of the guests come from a status quo supporting centrist perspective, let’s make things a bit better, but let’s not get too carried away.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

She’s a fucking joke. 

Full burden of proof? What is she waffling about? Repeating the phrase as though it means something is just waffle.

I’ll take a guess and assume she means beyond reasonable doubt. But then she fails to understand that Hislop’s point is that all of the miscarriages gets was referring to had that burden of proof. Not quite Cleverly/Grayling levels of idiocy, but close.