You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

One for the purists i guess but how good was he? (rhetorical) you often hear the phrase "the world was robbed" when certain individuals die prematurely but in this case it's so true. Dead at 22, it's tantalising to imagine the work he would have gone on to produce.

[YOUTUBE]WQiIMuOKIzY[/YOUTUBE]

Awesome.

Dead at 22, it's tantalising to imagine the work he would have gone on to produce.

This. I'm not really a fan to be honest but I wonder how good his material would have been if he'd matured. I reckon it would have been outstanding and he'd probably have helped to shape rock n roll.

This. I'm not really a fan to be honest but I wonder how good his material would have been if he'd matured. I reckon it would have been outstanding and he'd probably have helped to shape rock n roll.

Yeah the stuff was raw but so pioneering, like you say it would all have been about how he progressed, the potential was absolutely fucking enormous; when people like McCartney, Costello and Dylan fawn over you you know you're on to something. Like I say, the world really was robbed.

Yeah the stuff was raw but so pioneering, like you say it would all have been about how he progressed, the potential was absolutely fucking enormous; when people like McCartney, Costello and Dylan fawn over you you know you're on to something. Like I say, the world really was robbed.

His influence was potentially enormous too so we weren't just robbed of his future but of who knows how many bands influenced by his later material. We'll just never know which is a great shame.

His influence was potentially enormous too so we weren't just robbed of his future but of who knows how many bands influenced by his later material. We'll just never know which is a great shame.

There was no potential when it comes to his influence, it has been well and truly fulfilled, McCartney was obsessed with him, I remember he once said "No Buddy Holly, no Beatles"....now that's influence. Take your point on potential influence on later bands though

Guest Pistonbroke

I have a few BH CD's...love his music. He would have been as big as Elvis imo if his life hadn't have been cut short. One of my favourite songs of his was "Crying, Waiting, Hoping" which he never released but sung in his final concert before the plane crash. Marshall Crenshaw does a great version of it... [YOUTUBE]ztTa7KCRi8M[/YOUTUBE] I also have that Beetles at the BBC CD and they do a decent version of it.

I have a few BH CD's...love his music. He would have been as big as Elvis imo if his life hadn't have been cut short. One of my favourite songs of his was "Crying, Waiting, Hoping" which he never released but sung in his final concert before the plane crash. Marshall Crenshaw does a great version of it... [YOUTUBE]ztTa7KCRi8M[/YOUTUBE] I also have that Beetles at the BBC CD and they do a decent version of it.

Hang on, is that Lou diamond Phillips playing the sounds of buddy holly?

His stuff was raw because all stuff was raw then. There were no sophisticated music studio techniques. Also they were the pioneers of modern music and hence no body of music to play against or be inspired by and hence it also seemed quite bleak.

However, Buddy Holly is the embryonic template for all modern music

Saturday night

Hanging round for a bite

Find a real cutie with the dust mite blues

Hangnail, high tail, fairy tale, very well

Finding anything that I can chew

Coo coo daddy longlegs

Rough it up, rough it up, oh oh oh oh

Rain fly pie with a mosquito side salad

23 years on a meat-free diet

Beetles, crickets, gonna get you sick

It's here's a little sucker and you ought to try it