You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It is a bad accent. I'm not ashamed of it but it is pretty bad. I don't know why people would want to replicate it and put it on so thickly.

The worst is when it is on TV and for some reason the sound tends to make it seem even stronger. Either that, or when the TV folks come to Liverpool for something they always seem to pick out the mongiest people. Wouldn't put it past them.

Disagree.

Its only bad when people are putting it on thick to send some kind of message that they want to belong to a very unique part of the world.

Because its a unique city with a unique accent its obviously a target for the media and the want to report the bad stuff that goes on and there are plenty of pricks who help to promote the negative stereotype that many outside the area believe.

My nan would have been mortified being labelled as from there, she found it hard enough moving from Woolton to Anfiled after she got married. Everytime someone from Skem asked where she was from she'd still say Woolton despite not living there since she was 18.

Most scouse person i've met? Carradonna.

Where about in Anfield, Lid?

Can't stand poetry, it's shit and it's a platform for those ego-centric narcissists simply not talented enough to write a fucking proper song. With guitars and music and stuff.

Lemmy > Shakespeare

Poetry, at its best, is genius. When you understand the complexities of blank verse/iambic pentameter and then realise that Shakespeare wrote entire fucking plays in the bastard, then you can't help but recognise the fact that some people's affinity for language is mind-blowingly gargantuan. I reckon I have a relatively high degree of skill with words - my genes, education, profession and hobbies have all given me that. However, what I can do with a sentence pales into insignificance when set against the skill of contemporary professional writers in any genre, never mind that of William Shakespeare, the greatest writer in the history of mankind.

I think poetry gets a bad rep because most casual observers are only aware of the shit, crass, sentimental, poncey gibberish of the form (yes Dave fucking Kirby - I'm thinking of you). The likes of Seamus Heaney and Gillian Clarke (to mention two living poets whose work I'm familiar with) use words as building blocks to construct multiple layers of meaning in a poem. Conversely, the enforced brevity of the haiku - when contextualised in an understanding of its origins in Japanese warrior culture - is equally incredible when done well.

Something like Mali, by Clarke or any of the bog poems by Heaney, explores identity, history, love and nature on both an intellectual and accessible level that places them way beyond most populist song-writers. Of course, that's not to suggest that either song-writing or populism are barriers to genius word-smithery; just that to categorise an entire literary form as shit and ego-centric is, frankly, ridiculous (although I recognise you were being flippant, of course).

Edited by Paul

Poetry, at it's best, is genius. When you understand the complexities of blank verse/iambic pentameter and then realise that Shakespeare wrote entire fucking plays in the bastard, then you can't help but recognise the fact that some people's affinity for language is mind-blowingly gargantuan. I reckon I have a relatively high degree of skill with words - my genes, education, profession and hobbies have all given me that. However, what I can do with a sentence pales into insignificance when set against the skill of contemporary professional writers in any genre, never mind that of William Shakespeare, the greatest writer in the history of mankind.

I think poetry gets a bad rep because most casual observers are only aware of the shit, crass, sentimental, poncey gibberish of the form (yes Dave fucking Kirby - I'm thinking of you). The likes of Seamus Heaney and Gillian Clarke (to mention two living poets whose work I'm familiar with) use words as building blocks to construct multiple layers of meaning in a poem. Conversely, the enforced brevity of the haiku - when contextualised in an understanding of its origins in Japanese warrior culture - is equally incredible when done well.

Something like Mali, by Clarke or any of the bog poems by Heaney, explores identity, history, love and nature on both an intellectual and accessible level that places them way beyond most populist song-writers. Of course, that's not to suggest that either song-writing or populism are barriers to genius word-smithery; just that to categorise an entire literary form as shit and ego-centric is, frankly, ridiculous (although I recognise you were being flippant, of course).

*mind blown*

I like stories.

340.jpg