You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wanted: Suarez - video proof of diving

Lapskaus

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've linked you to an article, by a sports written from Holland, for the Guardian, who clearly said it. Before he signed for us.

If you can't accept that, plus many other people saying the same thing, you're a bit of a tit.

You've linked me to fuck all. Hardly surprising from you. Read the comments on the bottom of Vickery's article? Are you serious?

And this Dive of the Day: Uruguay’s Luis Suarez is proof that Suarez had a terrible reputation of diving in Holland?

Go away.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You've linked me to fuck all.

You dim-witted oaf.

Dutch sport journalist from the Guardian calling him a diver and saying he cons the ref so much only a dismembered leg would get him a penalty

As the Dutch Football Magazine, EPSN, Guardian, Fox Sports writer said, before he signed for us, and even before the World Cup:

To a football fan, few things are as exciting as unbridled, gasp-inducing potential. And to that same fan, few things are as irritating as a diver who tries his very best to deceive and achieve through the most unflattering of ways. What if I told you the two could be combined? Melded into one super-talented, super-annoying Uruguayan Ajax attacker. Half man, half amazing and yet only half a man, acting childish and insolent – he is Luis Suárez, the 22-year-old tinglingly talented protagonist extraordinaire.

Suárez is at least as fond of earning them [Penalties]. Indeed, he could have helped Sir Isaac Newton come to his ground-breaking conclusion a lot sooner than an apple and the moon did, so keen is he on going to ground in the penalty box.

he has so frequently conned referees that nothing short of a dismembered leg will get him a penalty these days.

I am not sure what counts as substantial as far as confirming a reputation is concerned, Coro, but here is some more evidence:

Bart Vlietstra, a football journalist with NUsport magazine, believes there is less simulation in the Netherlands. "It's not a big issue in Holland. We tend to believe we do not dive a lot, there are not a lot of divers. We call it the schwalbe [swallow] which is a German word, which says it all.

"Its really not accepted in Holland if somebody does it, it's really [greatly] criticised. Suárez, of course, was known for it and he got a lot of criticism. But we tend to believe it's a German or a Latin thing. If a player does do it then it will become noticed. Then it will become noticed and everybody will talk about in on the [TV] programmes and it becomes a real big issue like it was with Suárez a couple of years ago."

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You've got to laugh at the dutch who think diving is a latin or German trait. This from a country that gave us Van Nistleroy and Robben.

Some Italians still call football hooliganism 'the English disease'. A bit like when Ferguson calls somebody a diver, shit sticks, get repeated and becomes 'truth'.

I am not sure what counts as substantial as far as confirming a reputation is concerned, Coro, but here is some more evidence:

Interesting.

I guess players like Robben are the exception to the rule.

Back in the day on Channel 5, every week you used to see players like Rosales or Lazovic, both experts in the art of simulation playing for big clubs like Ajax or PSV. Yet Suarez is singled out. Ultimately, this is more to do with his character and his ability rather than any play acting.

Really dismays me what some people find as acceptable in the game and the lengths they'll go to justify that.

More and more it's a game filled with cowards and snides and people keep finding ways to excuse it.

The idea that disliking someone who feigns injury and simulates fouls is irrational is demented. But then, that's the ff for you.

Really dismays me what some people find as acceptable in the game and the lengths they'll go to justify that.

More and more it's a game filled with cowards and snides and people keep finding ways to excuse it.

The idea that disliking someone who feigns injury and simulates fouls is irrational is demented. But then, that's the ff for you.

Honest question here, do you get a different feeling if it's Suarez that scores as opposed to.... someone like Kuyt? Also I remember you defending Roy Keane on here once because you reckon Carra and Gerrard have set out to 'do people in' in the past. Do you dislike Carra and Gerrard too?

I know that appears underhanded but I'm genuinely interested. Most football fans conveniently toss aside any character flaws (if the player is any good anyway). Personally, I have no problem with Suarez' or any of our other players' characters so that sort of thing doesn't bother me.

Honest question here, do you get a different feeling if it's Suarez that scores as opposed to.... someone like Kuyt? Also I remember you defending Roy Keane on here once because you reckon Carra and Gerrard have set out to 'do people in' in the past. Do you dislike Carra and Gerrard too?

I know that appears underhanded but I'm genuinely interested. Most football fans conveniently toss aside any character flaws (if the player is any good anyway). Personally, I have no problem with Suarez' or any of our other players' characters so that sort of thing doesn't bother me.

I don't dislike Gerrard for being occasionally dirty his diving does annoy me. Being too aggressive is something that will never make me feel the same as being a snide and pretending you were fouled and injured.

If someone I particularly like, like Kuyt, scores then it's nice but I'm still happy when Suarez scores, I just don't like him. I know United fans who were the same with Ronaldo when he was amazing but flouncing everywhere.

It's why millions seems so keen to buy into the farce of these clowns falling after brushes with each other that mystifies me.

There's dignity in Keane and Gerrard both trying to hurt each other in a tackle, just as people do in rugby, NFL and many other sports. There's none in all this diving shit.

I don't dislike Gerrard for being occasionally dirty his diving does annoy me. Being too aggressive is something that will never make me feel the same as being a snide and pretending you were fouled and injured.

If someone I particularly like, like Kuyt, scores then it's nice but I'm still happy when Suarez scores, I just don't like him. I know United fans who were the same with Ronaldo when he was amazing but flouncing everywhere.

It's why millions seems so keen to buy into the farce of these clowns falling after brushes with each other that mystifies me.

There's dignity in Keane and Gerrard both trying to hurt each other in a tackle, just as people do in rugby, NFL and many other sports. There's none in all this diving shit.

Each to their own, I guess. The feigning injury and misdirection doesn't seem to bother me, especially when it's a good portion of the league that are all acting the same way. Whereas someone deliberately trying to seriously hurt another person (i.e Keane on Haaland) actually disgusts me.

There's fuck all dignified about deliberately trying to injure another professional.

Utter garbage.

Hurting someone, and getting physical dominance over them, doesn't have to mean injuring them. That isn't that hard to understand surely? Tackling people often hurts, it's the way it is in a physical game.

That's why everyone hates a big hit in rugby or a massive fifty-fifty win in football isn't it? Oh no, it isn't. It's actually one thing guaranteed to get everyone going.

Why sing that Gerrard is big and hard if that hardness has no relevance to the game?

Then again, you've already called me a manc (pretty much the lowest level of debate) so there's not much mileage in this little chat.

Guest ShoePiss

What in the fuck are you on about? "Oh I just wanted to hurt you, not injure you". That is dignified? Yeah right. I couldn't give a fuck about Rugby and saying Gerrard is big and hard has fuck all to do with this.

You said players deliberately trying to hurt each other is dignified. No, it isn't. You're dead wrong.

I called you supermanc actually, such is your love for all things mancunia.

I wonder is anyone going to post a gif of Suarez’s big roll around after not getting touched last night? It would somewhat put to bed this whole ridiculous thread. I would, but I haven’t a clue where to get it or how to upload it.

I love him, but I don’t like the playacting and Liverpool fans still trying to say he has never dived remains embarrassing.

I don't agree with that at all!

I fail to see how going down easy is bad, but trying to hurt an opponent is somehow noble! It's ludicrous and a tad ignorant, tackling and being tough is what us Brits do which is good, unlike diving which is cheating and foreigners do that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I honestly can't see the dignity in trying to hurt other players. There's no real dignity in diving, but it's just trying to trick the ref. No physical damage.

I honestly can't see the dignity in trying to hurt other players. There's no real dignity in diving, but it's just trying to trick the ref. No physical damage.

Well there isn't, but i can honestly say i dont feel sorry for the likes of Ferdinand, Terry or Rooney if they are limping off, or when Carragher tackled the shit out of Nani's leg. At the same time i'd be fuming if it was one of our players on the end of a bad tackle. Which is fickle but perfectly rational in my opinion. As for diving there are degrees of how bad it is, difference between going down easy and plain diving without contact and it's down to the referee's to stifle it. Suarez very rarely goes down unchallanged, he's wrongfully been labelled amongst the worst, the guy gets the shit kicked out of him every time he steps onto a pitch.

I wonder is anyone going to post a gif of Suarez’s big roll around after not getting touched last night? It would somewhat put to bed this whole ridiculous thread. I would, but I haven’t a clue where to get it or how to upload it.

I love him, but I don’t like the playacting and Liverpool fans still trying to say he has never dived remains embarrassing.

In fairness I don't think thats true Johnny.

All it would highlight would be Suarez does indeed make a meal out of challenges as most people on this thread accept.

Where the debate seemed to go was whether getting challenged and making a meal of it is diving the same way Ashley Young dives(i.e. falling over for funsies when no one touches you)

Suarez didn't do that last night. He was tackled fairly robustly.(If its the same challenge I think you're referring to)

Did he then make a meal of it, yeah he did.

But if you think thats a dive well I'm sorry to say I think you're wrong. He was challenged in such a way he was always going to go down.

I don't think Suarez dives that much, but he tends to claim after any vague contact with an opponent to the extent that he probably damages his more legitimate cases. There's more than a little of the boy who cried wolf about him.

This shouldn't detract from the fact that he's been on the wrong side of some abysmal refereeing non-decisions, particularly this season.