You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Violence Against Burglars

AngryOfTuebrook

Bend over a take it up the arse. It's pricks like him that's made this country a joke.

There is no need for that as LF says, but it stands to reason people on this thread will have been burgled and will have strong views on it. Maybe J-V has had a bad experience.

I really don't get your point Angry. I totally agree about not following them down the road and giving them a beating, though I'd go after them if they had something of value to me and they ran away with it.

If it's in my house though, I'm acting first and ask questions later. I'm more arsed about me and my family and I'm not waiting to see if the burglar means me harm. I sleep with a knuckleduster and a baseball bat near my bed and if someone breaks in I'll give them the hiding of their lives. Of course that could get turned round and I end up being the one who gets done in, but it's a risk I'll take.

I assume the two dogs I've got barking and going mental would deter any burglars anyway.

So, next time I go out on the rob, I'll go equipped and make sure I get my retaliation in first.

That doesn't really follow or else it would already be the case, as the risk of attack already exists. It's also true that a robbery = insurance claim, robbery and assault, GBH/ABH to attempted murder/murder = police giving a shit. Therefore not many out on the rob want to physically attack their victims.

and many probably are "equipped".

There is no need for that as LF says, but it stands to reason people on this thread will have been burgled and will have strong views on it. Maybe J-V has had a bad experience.

I really don't get your point Angry. I totally agree about not following them down the road and giving them a beating, though I'd go after them if they had something of value to me and they ran away with it.

If it's in my house though, I'm acting first and ask questions later. I'm more arsed about me and my family and I'm not waiting to see if the burglar means me harm. I sleep with a knuckleduster and a baseball bat near my bed and if someone breaks in I'll give them the hiding of their lives. Of course that could get turned round and I end up being the one who gets done in, but it's a risk I'll take.

I assume the two dogs I've got barking and going mental would deter any burglars anyway.

I'm just sounding off about the reactionary gobshites (oh yes - that phrase again) in the media, who are always banging on about abolishing the Human Rights Act (because it gives rights to criminals at the expense of the victims) and the Equality Act (because it outlaws harmless banter) and the Health & Safety Executive (because they ban our children from playing conkers) and all the usual shit these morons lie about. Joe Riley is a prime example.

Not one of these dickheads ever takes the trouble to back up their assertions with facts. How many burglaries take place when the house is occupied? How often will a burglar who is disturbed in the act just leg it? How often do people who try to protect themselves with weapons end up having those weapons turned on them? How many people have been killed or injured by a weapon that they (or a family member) kept in the house for "protection", even though their house has never been burgled? What are the laws on reasonable and proportionate force used in self-defence? Does the thought of home-owners being armed really deter burglars? Or does it make the burglars more determined to carry a more lethal weapon?

These aren't rhetorical questions. I'm sure criminologists would have ready answers to all of them. I'm also sure that if I had a newspaper column I would bother to find the answers to these questions, rather than spewing out the same old disingenuous and shrill calls for violence.

• Upvote 1

So, next time I go out on the rob, I'll go equipped and make sure I get my retaliation in first.

That leads to escalation from burglary, to home invasion, assault with a deadly weapon, maybe attempt murder... or even first-degree murder.

If a criminal wants to go that route, then that's their call. I guarantee that I will try to hurt anyone who enters my home without permission, and threatens my sanctuary.

If they want to leave my place under their own power, then I'd suggest they come armed to the teeth and prepared to use it.

Has anyone ever heard an intruder in their home? You can't really comprehend what goes through someone's mind unless you have. The closest I've come is having a pair of scumbags come through our old back garden in Speke and smash their way through the fence in the middle of the night. There's something 'other worldly' about it, it just doesn't compute and totally blows your mind, it's like you're dreaming while at the same time your adrenaline is pumping and you feel threatened. I don't know what the psychological term is for it, I'm sure there must be one. It's like when you have a 'world view', and that view is that you're safe in your home once you close the door, and your mind just can't comprehend the alternative. Imagine you heard your back door go now while you're watching the telly and heard a voice you didn't recognise, then saw a face pope around the door that you didn't recognise, imagine all those feelings hitting you at once? Imagine if your kids were upstairs?

I think everything would go out the window personally, even chasing them down the street wouldn't be a calculated decision, it'd be instinct I reckon.

• Upvote 2

Has anyone ever heard an intruder in their home? You can't really comprehend what goes through someone's mind unless you have. The closest I've come is having a pair of scumbags come through our old back garden in Speke and smash their way through the fence in the middle of the night. There's something 'other worldly' about it, it just doesn't compute and totally blows your mind, it's like you're dreaming while at the same time your adrenaline is pumping and you feel threatened. I don't know what the psychological term is for it, I'm sure there must be one. It's like when you have a 'world view', and that view is that you're safe in your home once you close the door, and your mind just can't comprehend the alternative. Imagine you heard your back door go now while you're watching the telly and heard a voice you didn't recognise, then saw a face pope around the door that you didn't recognise, imagine all those feelings hitting you at once? Imagine if your kids were upstairs?

I think everything would go out the window personally, even chasing them down the street wouldn't be a calculated decision, it'd be instinct I reckon.

Fight or flight.

I had an ex-housemate who had been chased off by the police trying to lever his way through his window using a garden fork at 3am. Crept over to a mate's room with the lights out to make sure I wasn't going mad/paranoid and called the cops. Turned on the lights and we grabbed the first heavy objects we could find and crept downstairs. Was fucking surreal, the fork was still stuck in the window frame.

Another time while I was at home during summer I was lying-in half-asleep and hear my Mum outside scream and go "what are you doing!!" Before I knew it I was in the car park across the street in boxers and a bath robe swearing my head off at the prick, fortunately he was just a skinny smackhead from a local farmer's field festival who was climbing through people's gardens and I realised and came to my senses. After a few moments - and seeing that my Mum was fine - I let him run off.

That second one is the most bizarre, out of character experience. Pretty scary that I wasn't really in control for a few moments.

Fight or flight.

I think it's more than that mate, you can feel that in any threatening situation, but I think there's something else involved when it's your home. We all have a world view developed over a lifetime of the way things work, and one of them is that within the walls of your home you are safe, and I think when someone bulldozes that belief I think it absolutely blows you away.

tumblr_m9xqucVA6m1qktq1eo1_500.jpg

"We start carrying semi automatics, they buy automatics. We start wearing Kevlar, they buy armor piercing rounds. And you're wearing a mask and jumping off rooftops. Take this guy - aggravated burglary, double homicide. Got a taste for the theatrical, like you. Leaves a calling card."

Guest ShoePiss

I wouldn't want killing a thief on my conscience, given a choice between shooting them in the head and making it easy I'd give them anything they wanted (they want things they can sell which can be replaced).

If you kill them not only have you been burgled but you're a murderer, no ta. The problem is like has been mentioned we most likely go into a pre-programmed survival mode, best not to have guns at home I say.

Guest ShoePiss
How about shooting them in the kneecaps? Surely that's acceptable?

Not for me, my new tv and all that other possessive shite isn't worth physically harming another human being.

Now if you call me a cunt...

I'm all for it, I have to say. Fuck them. It's purely self-defence. You don't know what these cunts are going to do, you've got get in there first, it's only the sensible course of action. And I'm not a violent person, which is mainly why I take that view. I'm not physically big, I can't fight, I'm a fucking scaredy wee toerag but I'm not going to just take some bastard coming into my house and threatening my family, possessions and my right to my personal dignity. Fuck them.

• Upvote 1

Guest ShoePiss
That's no fun. Imagine they are going to rape your budgie. That should get the anger flowing.

Hmm, I don't have a budgie but I do have a jack russell called Kenny. I'd go nuclear on any cunt that tried to harm him. Guns? Fuck that, I'd murder them with my own hands laughing as they take their last breath.

Seriously though, people need to realise that virtually everything these twats are looking to take aren't worth that much in the great scheme of things. I've had stuff stolen, in fact I've seen it happening and not been able to get there in time. I appreciate the rage it can instil but it's just not worth it. Like when I saw the cunts taking a mountain bike, if I'd caught up with them (they had the bike in the back of a pick-up and were away) I would have ripped their eyeballs out. Scared me a bit.

Seriously though, people need to realise that virtually everything these twats are looking to take aren't worth that much in the great scheme of things. I've had stuff stolen, in fact I've seen it happening and not been able to get there in time. I appreciate the rage it can instil but it's just not worth it. Like when I saw the cunts taking a mountain bike, if I'd caught up with them (they had the bike in the back of a pick-up and were away) I would have ripped their eyeballs out. Scared me a bit.

Speaking rationally I'm with you on the violence not being worth it for a few possessions, although as mentioned I did once chase off a burglar who had a crowbar, wearing only my underpants, so fuck knows how I would behave if I did actually have a weapon.

Hmm, I don't have a budgie but I do have a jack russell called Kenny. I'd go nuclear on any cunt that tried to harm him. Guns? Fuck that, I'd murder them with my own hands laughing as they take their last breath.

I don't believe I have anything of value, electronics, wedding gifts but nowt outrageous but the fact of someone in my house would prompt me to use said weapon. and no to the earlier post who replied to mine, I do not understand how a BURGLAR could press charges against me if I attacked him in MY home.

Out of interest what is the sentence given to convicted burglars or is it suspended?