You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Violence Against Burglars

AngryOfTuebrook

On 25/09/2018 at 13:50, Captain Turdseye said:

@AngryofTuebrook I hope you don’t mind me asking but I was just wondering if your opinion is different now to what it was at the time you started this thread?

I've just seen this and I've got to say "no". 

Our house was empty when we were burgled, but if I'd been home I would have been angry/scared enough to start swinging at the cunt (and I probably would have got my head kicked in; I'm really not a fighter) but that doesn't mean I'd recommend violence or go cheerleading anyone who killed or seriously injured a burglar: assault is assault and manslaughter is manslaughter, even if it's in your own home.

I comfort myself with the thought that someone who is reduced to robbing stuff in a shitty area of a deprived city already has a fucking awful life, even if the Police don't catch them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 29/10/2014 at 12:01, Fugitive said:

I think it's safe to presume that all Americans who are in the police are fucking cunts and massive racists.

This aged well.

On 29/10/2014 at 23:59, Dr Nowt said:

She's also getting it off the pizza delivery boy, her husband's best mate, their neighbour, a local taxi driver, some burnt-out everyman dudes who drive round in a van, cajoling women into getting gang-poled, and this lizard casting agent with a camera in a shitty little room he's hired. 

She's utterly insatiable and I fling spunk at her image like an angry Eric Bristow chucks darts.

But this is timeless.

I've probably posted this in this thread but read a thing years ago when the government changed the law around self defence, and one real case that was used as an example of what wasn't acceptable was when a bloke caught a burglar, tied him up and set him on fire.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Section_31 said:

I've probably posted this in this thread but read a thing years ago when the government changed the law around self defence, and one real case that was used as an example of what wasn't acceptable was when a bloke caught a burglar, tied him up and set him on fire.

Hahahaha 

38 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

To be fair it’s been going on a while. I used to play football in a team where a couple of the lads were mates who’d been inside because they caught a burglar in one of their houses and tortured him. They did loads to him but for some reason ‘branding him with a fish slice’ has always been the bit that stood out.

1 hour ago, Geoff Woade said:

To be fair it’s been going on a while. I used to play football in a team where a couple of the lads were mates who’d been inside because they caught a burglar in one of their houses and tortured him. They did loads to him but for some reason ‘branding him with a fish slice’ has always been the bit that stood out.

I'd be interested in the forum reaction to this, I think that is seriously sick behaviour 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Remmie said:

I'd be interested in the forum reaction to this, I think that is seriously sick behaviour 

It's fucking depraved. 

Something to think about on Holocaust Memorial Day.  This whole idea of "once they're in your house they lose all rights" is a powerful piece of dehumanising - just like widespread "othering" and hate speech against minorities - which can lead to you giving yourself permission to commit any atrocities. 

The trick (sometimes easier said than done) is to try to never lose sight of other people's humanity.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's fucking depraved. 

Something to think about on Holocaust Memorial Day.  This whole idea of "once they're in your house they lose all rights" is a powerful piece of dehumanising - just like widespread "othering" and hate speech against minorities - which can lead to you giving yourself permission to commit any atrocities. 

The trick (sometimes easier said than done) is to try to never lose sight of other people's humanity.

I suppose it depends doesn’t it. If you’re a single lad in your own place and you catch someone robbing your tv then that’s one question. If you’ve a family and they’ve been terrorised by someone breaking in and threatening them then you’re probably going to feel more strongly and inclined to commit ‘an atrocity’.

54 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

... a powerful piece of dehumanising - just like widespread "othering" and hate speech against minorities - which can lead to you giving yourself permission to commit any atrocities. 

Um, you do this on a daily basis towards the unvaccinated minority in this country. 

You're not the only one, mind. 

• Downvote 2

10 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

8 hours ago, Remmie said:

I went through an armed robbery when I was a young kid living in a pub. It impacted me for years. Trouble sleeping, hated being in the house on my own etc and became even more protective of my brother who was only 2 at the time. People who break into other peoples home are fucking scum, especially if there are children involved who will be terrified and scarred by it all. As easy as it is to take the moral and say we need to respect them as humans, you need to remember they chose to break in and put your family in danger (it’s impossible to know if they just want to unplug the tv and run out with it or do something more sinister) so then getting a hiding for doing so is absolutely fine by me and not in anyway ‘against the rules’ seeing as they themselves already decided to break them first. That said, torture, setting on fire etc is a bit too much. Fill them in and wait for the police (ideally without kneeing on them and killing them) then deal with the horrendous fall out assuming you’ve got family and the additional cost of replacing locks and anything else broken. Oh and then the sleepless nights, emotional impact, police questioning, potential court date, and other costs etc etc but yeah the burglars human rights eh. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

I suppose it depends doesn’t it. If you’re a single lad in your own place and you catch someone robbing your tv then that’s one question. If you’ve a family and they’ve been terrorised by someone breaking in and threatening them then you’re probably going to feel more strongly and inclined to commit ‘an atrocity’.

Once you reach the point where you're tying up another human and setting fire to them, you're the baddie.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I kept a putter down the back of the bed for years in case a robber broke in, my theory was that i would ask him/her/them to have a putting contest in the living room, as the Mrs is useless at golf.   

For a good few years in my 20's I always assumed all burglars would bring a baseball with them. 

21 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I think robbery is theft from a person, so if you burgle an empty house it's not robbery.

Robbery is theft with, or with the threat of, violence.  Burglary is entering a building as a trespasser (not invited) to commit theft, GBH or damage.  

I remember doing a case whereby a bloke climbed some scaffolding and got to the window of a woman.  Her boyfriend used to climb the scaffolding to get to the window so she thought it was him, invited him in and they had sex. She then realised it wasn’t her boyfriend.  It all hinged on whether any part of the man was in the room before she invited him in.  

Edit: R v Collins (1973)