You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Violence Against Burglars

AngryOfTuebrook

The overwhelming majority of housebreaking/ burglaries are committed in houses which are unoccupied at the time. That’s the way the thieves like it. “Hot” burglaries are invariably committed by the desperate. They are as frightened of disturbing the householder as the householder is of discovering them.

Instances where a thief or thieves deliberately target an occupied house with the intention of overwhelming the owner are rare.

Several years ago I was the victim of a hot burglary, 3am, with wife and three children asleep. We heard the back door being broken down. How many are there? How big are they? Are they armed? What do they want? All race through your mind. You assume the worst. So what do you do? You don’t want him/her,them upstairs. So I made a hell of a racket, shouted my boys names and that I had called the police…they scarpered with just my wife’s handbag.

The problem with confronting unknown intruders is that you do not know the answers to the above questions, but the intruder is prepared, knows what weapons he has, and how handy he is, even if he does not know what he is up against. It is a big advantage still. But he does not want to be caught and entered to steal, not fight, so ironically if you give them a chance to escape, invariably they will take it.

Having an intruder in your house at night, with you unprepared, is incredibly disorientating, and frightening. Although Tony Martin, the farmer who shot dead a burglar at his house in 1999, may not be a very nice person, most people will sympathise with a man, on his own finding an unknown number of intruders in his house who has a shotgun to hand defending himself. His conviction for manslaughter was scandalous.

Which raises an interesting point actually.

You've described the classic 'fight or flight' response that you had when you were the victim of a burglary.  Do you think you would have had the same response if you had a legally owned shotgun handy?

(Note - this isn't a fishing trip or anything, I'm not going to ambush you with a load of stuff about making gun ownership easy - just wondered whether you think your willingness to go on the offensive may have been greater if you were more confident in your ability to come out on top of the situation.)

I think the stats are interesting.

Household Burglary in the UK – Facts and Figures

Burglaries are less common than most people think and violent attacks on people in their homes are extremely rare. This page is not intended to cause unnecessary worry, but rather to acquaint you with some of the key facts and figures on burglary that you may not have seen gathered into one place before.

How common is burglary?

• Every 37 seconds a home somewhere in Britain is burgled

Who are the burglars?

• 88% of burglars are males. 6% are committed by a male and a female together and 6% by a lone female.

• The most likely age is 16 to 24 with 16% being of school age.

What happens in a burglary?

• In a quarter of burglaries someone is at home and aware of what is happening.

• Violence or threatening behavior is used in 10% of incidents.

So according to that, a burglary in which violence or threats are used occurs on average just over every six minutes.  When it does happen, there is a 9 in 10 chance that the burglar will be male and a strong likelyhood that they will be aged between 18 and 24.

I definitely wouldn't say that is less common than I expected; if anything it's more common.

The overwhelming majority of housebreaking/ burglaries are committed in houses which are unoccupied at the time. That’s the way the thieves like it. “Hot” burglaries are invariably committed by the desperate. They are as frightened of disturbing the householder as the householder is of discovering them.

Instances where a thief or thieves deliberately target an occupied house with the intention of overwhelming the owner are rare.

Several years ago I was the victim of a hot burglary, 3am, with wife and three children asleep. We heard the back door being broken down. How many are there? How big are they? Are they armed? What do they want? All race through your mind. You assume the worst. So what do you do? You don’t want him/her,them upstairs. So I made a hell of a racket, shouted my boys names and that I had called the police…they scarpered with just my wife’s handbag.

The problem with confronting unknown intruders is that you do not know the answers to the above questions, but the intruder is prepared, knows what weapons he has, and how handy he is, even if he does not know what he is up against. It is a big advantage still. But he does not want to be caught and entered to steal, not fight, so ironically if you give them a chance to escape, invariably they will take it.

Having an intruder in your house at night, with you unprepared, is incredibly disorientating, and frightening. Although Tony Martin, the farmer who shot dead a burglar at his house in 1999, may not be a very nice person, most people will sympathise with a man, on his own finding an unknown number of intruders in his house who has a shotgun to hand defending himself. His conviction for manslaughter was scandalous.

He shot a kid in the back as he was running away from the house didn't he? Hardly scandalous. 

When I was a kid we lived in this pub for about a year. One sunday night I was in bed and woke up to my mum sat on the end of the bed and 3 fellas with balaclavas on with one of them holding an axe. She had put my baby brother next to me, he was only 1 and I was about 9. My mind couldn't comprehend the fear at the time and I just wanted to hold my mum. Anyway, she told me to lay down and put the quilt over my head and they left the room. Anyway what happened was they broke in the back door and came up the back stairs while my dad had a stay behind downstairs. My mum came up to check on my bother who was in a different room and when she turned to leave it they were stood behind the door. 

Brave as fuck me maa, she just stayed calm and told them they can have all the money they want just don't harm the kids. She rang down to my dad and asked him to bring the till up so she could cash it, my dad knew something was wrong right away because it's just something she wouldn't do. Anyway he went upstairs and one of them had hold of my maa with an axe in his hand, my dad ran across the landing to hit him but my mum told him they have me and my brother. They walked my mum and dad into the office, got the money from the safe and the till etc, told them to wait in the living room for 5 minutes to give them time to fuck off before they could come and get me and our kid. My mum says my dad waited about 20 seconds, ran into the kitchen and got a knife then ran down to do them but they had scarpered. 

Still effects me to this day, i'll never forget not being scared at the time but the next day being really shaken by it and for years as a kid I hated staying in a house on my own. It was the night before wimbledon started and every year the sunday before it starts I always remember it and double check that I've locked the door properly and windows etc. 

If someone broke into my house , as has been said, that instinct would take over and I would annihilate the cunts, not just for breaking in but for the effect it had on me for years and my mam etc. 

• Upvote 6

When I was a kid we lived in this pub for about a year. One sunday night I was in bed and woke up to my mum sat on the end of the bed and 3 fellas with balaclavas on with one of them holding an axe. She had put my baby brother next to me, he was only 1 and I was about 9. My mind couldn't comprehend the fear at the time and I just wanted to hold my mum. Anyway, she told me to lay down and put the quilt over my head and they left the room. Anyway what happened was they broke in the back door and came up the back stairs while my dad had a stay behind downstairs. My mum came up to check on my bother who was in a different room and when she turned to leave it they were stood behind the door.

Brave as fuck me maa, she just stayed calm and told them they can have all the money they want just don't harm the kids. She rang down to my dad and asked him to bring the till up so she could cash it, my dad knew something was wrong right away because it's just something she wouldn't do. Anyway he went upstairs and one of them had hold of my maa with an axe in his hand, my dad ran across the landing to hit him but my mum told him they have me and my brother. They walked my mum and dad into the office, got the money from the safe and the till etc, told them to wait in the living room for 5 minutes to give them time to fuck off before they could come and get me and our kid. My mum says my dad waited about 20 seconds, ran into the kitchen and got a knife then ran down to do them but they had scarpered.

Still effects me to this day, i'll never forget not being scared at the time but the next day being really shaken by it and for years as a kid I hated staying in a house on my own. It was the night before wimbledon started and every year the sunday before it starts I always remember it and double check that I've locked the door properly and windows etc.

If someone broke into my house , as has been said, that instinct would take over and I would annihilate the cunts, not just for breaking in but for the effect it had on me for years and my mam etc.

Can't believe you hid under the covers and did nothing to help.

• Upvote 2

We were burgled when I was a kid. The cunts stole my glow worm.

I remember my Uncle coming over for a few days and the same prick tried breaking in again. We were all watching tv with the lights out. I was sent up to my room and remember my uncle going out the front door. He left the prick in a right mess that 25 years on he still walks with a cane and limp. It had been snowing that night and there was blood all over the pavement and neighbours wall. My uncle fucked off and the police came round to tell my mum that the bloke said he slipped but they also said my uncle should keep a low profile for a few days. They didn't give a shit

• Upvote 1

I'm a home owner and a gun owner, so this is something I've often thought about and discussed with my wife. As a matter of fact, we were both awoken by a loud breaking noise a few weeks back and I went downstairs, glock in hand, to discover a plate I'd left on the arm of the couch had fallen and smashed. Scared the shit out of me but I still felt secure if it had been an intruder. I'd probably have told the fucker not to move and have the wife call the cops.

However, I've told the wife many times that, in the hardly ever likely chance she encounters a burglar in the house alone , just shoot him. I'd rather she defend herself in court for shooting an intruder than get raped and murdered by some coked up smack head.

• 3 years later...

Someone tried to get into ours last night, the burglar alarm went off at 4am & I went downstairs, turned the light on & only then did the cunt take his arm out of the cat flap. He'd obviously tried the back door first which set the alarm off.

One question, should I bother reporting it?

Just now, Mook said:

Someone tried to get into ours last night, the burglar alarm went off at 4am & I went downstairs, turned the light on & only then did the cunt take his arm out of the cat flap. He'd obviously tried the back door first which set the alarm off.

I doubt there’s much point in reporting it, sadly.

Scum of the earth. The burglar that is, not the police 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

There definitely is a point in reporting it. It’s not just about that one incident. They need to know the areas this burglar is operating in and at what time. 

This is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Maybe nothing happens but it should be reported as it may help to get the burglar in the act.

16 minutes ago, Mook said:

And buy some CCTV equipment. That'll learn them.

Aye, my missus heard another alarm go off down the road about five minutes later so I think they were maybe chancing their arm with houses that have cat flaps or something.

We live in a three year old street & there's already been a few burglaries so I'll report it today, seems to be a common theme. I'm glad I spent that money on the alarm now.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Aye, my missus heard another alarm go off down the road about five minutes later so I think they were maybe chancing their arm with houses that have cat flaps or something.

We live in a three year old street & there's already been a few burglaries so I'll report it today, seems to be a common theme. I'm glad I spent that money on the alarm now.

There really are no words bad enough for that kind of behaviour. And definitely report it. Tell me you me you broke his hand.

And the cat flap? Do you think they were hoping you’d left the key in the door or something?

29 minutes ago, Mook said:

Get rid of the cat,problem solved.

34 minutes ago, Mook said:

Are you filthy rich?

And the answer is yes.