You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New manager, new expectations.

Code

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a stats lover, surely you can see their is a very small sample size to your stats, it's the 2nd week of November, sure things haven't been good with regards to results, but have to look at the bigger picture really. Not saying things are acceptable, but the cards that Rodgers has been dealt for this season, was hard to expect a great deal of success imo.

Rodgers were dealt two kings and he folded.

I figure we'll have between 22-28 pts after 19. Probably enough to keep Rodgers safe but he'll sure be feeling the heat depending on how close that brings us to the drop zone.

Thats hedgings your bets a bit much Scott, do you think you could be a bit more brave with your prediction and narrow it down a bit?

The first half of last season was great, but why not compare it with the second half of last season? I know, because it was shit and doesn't look so bad.

Winning isn't everything, I'd rather we built a system whereby we could win more games over a longer period. If the short term issue is that we don't win as many games as some blood and thunder wankers like West Brom, I don't mind that. We're looking at laying something successful down for 10 years or more, not living from season to season. Installing a philosophy and style of playing and recruitment, whereby we future-proof the club and make it not only competitive but also not in need of constant big money signings and contracts.

Look at Newcastles great season last season, and where are they now? Short termism. Some decent players putting in good shifts, but once the players can't be arsed, or lapse into a comfort zone, there's nothing else that can be done except talk about buying new players.

Possession football, that's the lesson we're in now, and it's starting to stick. Once the possession football is second nature then the players will be able to interpret their roles better and start to bend the system in ways that enable us to be more flexible and win more games. But the philosophy is to keep the ball, rest with the ball, change tempos, dictate the game, control the game, you can't control a game without the ball. We're not brilliant at it yet but we will get there, and it'll take more than four months.

I dont care if you don't get it, or don't want to get it.

Thats hedgings your bets a bit much Scott, do you think you could be a bit more brave with your prediction and narrow it down a bit?

What hedging? I gave a pretty narrow band for the pts

I think the heat will come from fans, and the media not FSG and the heat will be white hot if we are less than 30 points after 19 games.

I think FSG would be inclined to stick with him (long term plan etc) but on some things they're inscrutable.

Do I think that would be good enough? No I don't, as 22-28 pts would leave us too exposed to the drop zone.

If you want 1 number I'll go with 23

Code. Last year means fuck all. Get over it you useless cunt.

Last years stats, results and cup finals mean nothing now it's a new season.

Just get behind the team like a real fan should.

All Liverpool fans. are fully behind the team... inc Code, but some fans like me want the useless Pikey out.

We may look better going forward... playing prettier football, dominating games, yet, didn't we dominate games last season? Results are just as important, to say different is only kidding yourself.

The first half of last season was great, but why not compare it with the second half of last season? I know, because it was shit and doesn't look so bad.

Pick the worst 10 games run in the league from last season and it will include at least two wins and probably progression in a cup in between.

Cards on the table Code. Who do YOU want in charge? Don't say Kenny because you were coming out with the same tedious and repetitive shit a year ago, when he WAS in charge.

I know things are not going to well with our results, but constant chopping and changing isn't going to help. Unlike Chelsea, we don't have enough squad depth to at least remain close to the top 4 when results have dried up.

What hedging? I gave a pretty narrow band for the pts

I think the heat will come from fans, and the media not FSG and the heat will be white hot if we are less than 30 points after 19 games.

I think FSG would be inclined to stick with him (long term plan etc) but on some things they're inscrutable.

Do I think that would be good enough? No I don't, as 22-28 pts would leave us too exposed to the drop zone.

If you want 1 number I'll go with 23

You gave yourself a 22% margin and I'd say thats pretty big especially as the first 20% and last 20% is not really a realstic target.

I really hope we get more than 23 points after 19 games though as thats almost as shite as the first 10 and thats not really acceptable.

This is frustrating and embarrassing to read. I'm normally a peace maker but this is crap. Statistically the sample is far too small to draw conclusions. We are in transition. The owners have their chosen man. He is young and 'up and coming'. He may prove to be an inspired choice, a disaster, or something in between. But it is far too early to tell.

My guess is we will finish about where we finished in the league last year and that will be enough for Rodgers to continue. After that we will climb higher as the manager, players and system all grow together. That's just a guess though. We will have to wait and see.

Unfortunately patience is in short supply and people seem to be panicking or losing their nerve or flapping over nothing much, as yet. Please show some respect. I do not like to see a current Liverpool manager called 'pikey'. It is unbecoming and surely we can all agree that that's not on.

Let the manager do his job. Back him and support the team and see what emerges.

YNWA

Cards on the table Code. Who do YOU want in charge? Don't say Kenny because you were coming out with the same tedious and repetitive shit a year ago, when he WAS in charge.

I know things are not going to well with our results, but constant chopping and changing isn't going to help. Unlike Chelsea, we don't have enough squad depth to at least remain close to the top 4 when results have dried up.

Hmm not sure I follow you here Trumo?

I always tell it like I see it, no matter who is manager, would I rather still have Kenny than Rodgers, you bet I would as I think we have done a bad call in appointing Rodgers and I could only see us improve with Kenny in charge with another season under his belt.

Rodgers is here now and I'm less than impressed, pointing to style is usually an excuse for failure and I'd like to know what people think is acceptable, I have no problem saying what I think in that regard.

Like I've asked before, when did it become acceptable to go backwards when changing managers?

All Liverpool fans. are fully behind the team... inc Code, but some fans like me want the useless Pikey out.

We may look better going forward... playing prettier football, dominating games, yet, didn't we dominate games last season? Results are just as important, to say different is only kidding yourself.

I hope you wake up with blisters all over your cock you ignorant prick.

Code, Didi is telling you to shut the fuck up

Didi Hamann ‏@DietmarHamann

You make your own judgement but I can't recall any club who paid nearly £90 million on 5 players and none of them had an impact for the team

Kenny would have gotten time if he didn't piss away a fortune, along with DC.

I could not see that twet from Didi, bit its an interesting discussion.

Hmm not sure I follow you here Trumo?

Let me try and point it out.

I always tell it like I see it, no matter who is manager, would I rather still have Kenny than Rodgers, you bet I would as I think we have done a bad call in appointing Rodgers and I could only see us improve with Kenny in charge with another season under his belt.

I would also have liked Kenny to remain in charge at least for this season, if only to show that last season's results were in a large part down to a number of highly unusual factors. There was more than an element of misfortune there. Things like the Suarez ban and the sheer number of times we hit the woodwork and missed penalties are not normal occurrences. However, even when Suarez returned from his ban, the team were still guilty of wasting chances, but the general good performances slowly gave way to very average and poor performances, and we stopped creating so many chances and were still far from clinical with what chances we did have. The Arsenal home defeat and the manner of it were a real watershed because so many players lost form and confidence (some didn't have any to begin with, it's true) than the team stopped functioning properly in an attacking sense.

Rodgers is here now and I'm less than impressed, pointing to style is usually an excuse for failure and I'd like to know what people think is acceptable, I have no problem saying what I think in that regard.

I'm not naive enough to think that just because the team are actively looking to play a more possession-based game, it's the right way to go, because the approach and system need to be adapted to the personnel available, and the preferred 'style' needs to evolve from there. I'm not going to say that just because Rodgers has a 'philosophy', things will be OK. As a young manager, his approach and belief is certainly different to most managers his age, and that might be grounded in his experience working specifically on the coaching side. I think that what is happening now is that slow evolution, and it's being done with a much more inexperienced and a much smaller group of players. That might be why it's taking longer than we'd like, and why he's having to involve so much squad flotsam and jetsam.

I know you've pulled out a bunch of stats to suggest that Hodgson was doing a lot better than Rodgers has. The real difference is that Hodgson had a habit of putting his foot in his mouth when talking to the media. He had a habit of talking down to our fans. And his style of play - while it may have earned him more points at this stage than Rodgers has so far - was not going to work over the long-term because it relied on the opposition having a shocker more so than his own team playing well.

Like I've asked before, when did it become acceptable to go backwards when changing managers?

Rodgers doesn't have a track record because he's been managing for so little time, and I can understand why that might be a risky step to employ him. Hell, it IS risky. Whether it's going backwards is debatable, because we have already gone down the experienced route. That's where the problem lies. Both approaches have their positives and drawbacks, and now we need time to let one or the other bear fruit.

See the Rafa interview thread because my next point really belongs in there.

See the Rafa interview thread because my next point really belongs in there.

Good reply, agree with some and not all, but still repped.

I read that Rafa thread and I think Rafa had a few clever digs at Rodgers in there, I might be the only one to have noticed this though.