You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Darren Burgess

WaltonRed

Only just come across the below article. I think since Burgess has left, we look a lot fitter, and we are suffereing from fewer injuries. Maybe its just luck, but what Driscoll says makes sense to me and it seems the lads were being overworked before, leading to fatigue and injuries.

Here's another article, this time with Agger. And I think Gerrard is one of only 3 outfield players to play every minute this season. I don't think its by chance that were are having fewer muscle injuries.

First rule of fit club: Liverpool's Daniel Agger hails Rodgers' lighter regime

20 Mar 2013 18:05

Anfield defender says he's feeling fit as a butcher's dog these days, and boss Brendan's selective less-is-more programme is why

Fighting fit: Daniel Agger of Liverpool

Getty Images

Liverpool defender Daniel Agger says Brendan Rodgers has made him fitter than he's been in years - by scaling back his training programme.

Rodgers' selective less-is-more approach is apparently paying dividends for other older Anfield players like Steven Gerrard, who has yet to miss a Premier League game this season.

"For me it's about being fit and I've been the fittest in years," Agger – the Denmark captain preparing for World Cup qualifiers against Czech Republic and Bulgaria – told Danish website sporten.dk, according to the Press Association.

"I have not missed a game because of an injury and I think that is the first time in my career.

"Brendan Rodgers is undoubtedly the reason I have played all the matches without injuries this year and I cannot be anything but pleased.

"I must give the new coaching team great credit for it, but especially the new manager gets the greatest credit for this.

"It is not I who can take these decisions, it is he who has decided to adjust my training specifically for me.

"The new coaching team have come up with a form of exercise taking into account the individual, and it is something I have needed.

"My training volume is scaled down and then I have an increased recovery period."

And that's the foundation for trophies in the future, according to Agger.

Heading the right way: Liverpool's Daniel Agger scores against QPR as Luis Suarez studies technique...

"It is a club that will have trophies, I think it goes without saying," said the centre-back. "I believe it will come, of course. It will not be this year, because we are changing the style of play as we have not got the results we would have wanted but we have played well.

"There have been a few worries and it has something to do with stability and we must also have a bigger squad.

"These are the things we need to work towards next season.

"If we can keep the same level in more matches than we do this year it will look better for next season."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest San Don

Interesting. To be honest, I dont think our squad has been the fittest for years, We nearly always look fucked in the last 15 minutes of a game.

Not convinced about agger's fitness being due to change of physio or whatever. His injuries have come from falling over in games and breaking ribs etc. Still, its refreshing he isnt getting injured as much, just a shame cant be said of some of his defensive performances of late.

Interesting. To be honest, I dont think our squad has been the fittest for years, We nearly always look fucked in the last 15 minutes of a game.

Not convinced about agger's fitness being due to change of physio or whatever. His injuries have come from falling over in games and breaking ribs etc. Still, its refreshing he isnt getting injured as much, just a shame cant be said of some of his defensive performances of late.

But what about Stevie? Not only has he played more this year, he's looked fitter in the games.

I do think the idea of tailoring fitness regimes to each player makes way more sense than a blanket regime for the whole squad. Whether it pays dividends or not, its the way we should be doing it.

Thats an improvement! Last season I thought we always looked fucked in the last 30 minutes of a game..

I think we have a few younger players who don't use economies of exerting themselves, they'll get better as they get older.

I remember Thierry Henry saying the same thing a few years back, that he just stopped running around so much and then he was still able to fly past people in the 92nd minute. That's something that Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge, Borini, Henderson and maybe even Allen and Suarez could still take on board.

Barcelona look like they close people down for 90 minutes, but it's not quite correct. They press half of the pitch, not the whole pitch. We can't do that until we have centre backs who have the pace to allow us to press from the halfway line, or are set up right. For example, again Barca, Pique and Puyol aren't exactly sprinters. But Alves and Alba are, and Mascherano can catch anyone. Quite often it's the quick, mobile defensive midfielder the furthest back for Barca during an attack.

United use their centre backs to cover the space behind the defence. They tried Hargreaves but he broke. Since then it's been a succession of ponderous technicians in the middle, such as Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher. I think they also think that Phil Jones might also fit that bill, but injuries and his gipping face are taking their toll on him.

Get out of jail free players. We don't have any of them. When you need a fucking rottweiler with wheels on to thwart a break, we just don't have that option.

In loads of games this season we've looked the most likely team to nick it if it is tight late on so I'm not sure that's the case.

Chelsea, Arsenal (granted we were two up but we nearly won it at the death) and Everton away spring to mind.

In loads of games this season we've looked the most likely team to nick it if it is tight late on so I'm not sure that's the case.

Chelsea, Arsenal (granted we were two up but we nearly won it at the death) and Everton away spring to mind.

Lets get some facts on the table here instead of subjective speculation.

Goals from 75-90 minutes for and against:

12/13: 5 - 8

11/12: 11 - 9

10/11: 9 - 11

09/10: 14 - 7

08/09: 27 - 7

07/08: 18 - 9

06/07: 10 - 4

05/06: 14 - 5

04/05: 9 - 7

03/04: 11 -8

So in reality we score less and concede more the last 15 minutes under Rodgers than what we usually have done the last 10 seasons.

I'd say that points to us being anything but more fit than before.

Lets get some facts on the table here instead of subjective speculation.

Goals from 75-90 minutes for and against:

12/13: 5 - 8

11/12: 11 - 9

10/11: 9 - 11

09/10: 14 - 7

08/09: 27 - 7

07/08: 18 - 9

06/07: 10 - 4

05/06: 14 - 5

04/05: 9 - 7

03/04: 11 -8

So in reality we score less and concede more the last 15 minutes under Rodgers than what we usually have done the last 10 seasons.

I'd say that points to us being anything but more fit than before.

No.

I really like Danny Agger, except he's a fucking soft cunt.

I'd like him much more, and he'd be a far better player imo, if he was a fucking hard cunt.

Him and Skrtel both.

that code cunt is totally wrong. 8 is not more than 9 or 11 is it? and no the season hasn't finished but that works both ways, we could still score plenty more in the last 15 minutes in our remaining fixtures.

juking the stats again skiddytits.

Oh man, your logic goes all wrong if you're answering his post. First, you have no case, then you deal with Code. He doesn't even have to twist your words...