You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Was at the wifes folks the other day and her dad opened a bottle that was a twelve year old kind of a big deal bottle that he got for his 30th birthday making it 42 years old. I'm no whisky fan but it tasted real nice. Also felt rather nice that he'd share it with me.

Quality that mate. I get my Dad a bottle of Hine cognac most Christmases. My Mum told me he only gets the bottle out when I go & visit.

Any of the following Islay malts;

Laphroig, Lagavulin, Kilchoman, Bruichladdich, Caol Ila, Bunnahabhain, Ardbeg.

Especially if you can get an unfiltered one.

^This^

Serious flavours going on in this bunch. Laphroiag is probably best value. Lagavulin is my personal favourite.

Try a Clynelish if you like something a little bit more gentle than an Islay but still with plenty of body.

How about a Benriach Curiositas for a less expensive heavily peated speyside, cracking stuff just like a Ardbeg.

Aberlour Abunadh if you want one of the creamiest whiskies you will ever taste without paying silly money or a bottle of cheap and cheerful Glen Moray, under 20 quid no age but lovely and light, good for breakfast.

I love Laphroaig but it's not everyone's cup of tea. My old man would drink anything but I gave him a bottle and he gave it me back saying it was off and tasted of piss.

I'm firmly in the Islay camp, with Caol Ila and Lagavulin being particular favourites. I would recommend trying different ones from different regions and then finding one you like and starting with that area first. I have had some very expensive ones that did very little for me and yet the ones I love are pretty reasonable for the standard versions. Then when you find one you like, you can go for specials of it.

My only tip is not to go on the forum after drinking it. Some twats do that and make a complete arse of themselves.

The Islay whisky are like a really hot curry, and need to be savoured.

A really good cheapish everyday malt is a Dalwhinnie. 15 year old rather than standard 12 to boot. Try it with a tiny bit of chocolate, really brings out the taste.

Just came back from Scotland and visited Oban, Ben nevis Tallisker and dalwhinnie, so nicely stocked up on the specials

I feel I need to help you out here. Ten High is a Bourbon, also known as "whiskey", but never "whisky". It comes from America, not Scotland.

Yep from Kentuky but you can buy it in some places thats why i said its rare i had it a The Church Green was the head Chefs Whiskey of Choice like i said if i ever had found it id be a alcoholic now its a wonderful drink. Have you ever had it Zig?