Quantcast
Lib Dems - Page 63 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

I mean, it's the poverty of the argument that irritates me more than anything, as if it's somehow shocking that someone might have used Labour Party talking points when they were in the Labour Party.

 

Like criticising your girlfriend for shagging other guys before she met you, or moaning that your new signing scored go*ls against your side before you bought him.

Why did you neg a post that literally had tweets from someone else? Are you that sad?

 

Yes. yes you are. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Yeah. He's a Lib Dem. For generations. 

 

 

Nothing wrong with him saying 'we'. He is a Lib Dem. Be wrong if he didn't say 'we'. 

 

However that bit in bold isn't entirely true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nothing wrong with him saying 'we'. He is a Lib Dem. Be wrong if he didn't say 'we'. 

 

However that bit in bold isn't entirely true. 

Well fair enough they haven't been called that for generations. Used to be Liberal, now Lib Dem, soon to be whatever Chuka calls it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

I'm a Lib Dem, so "we" is entirely appropriate when I'm referring to the Lib Dems. Not sure what the objection is? Labour members here do the same when referring to Labour.

I don't. Can't imagine many others would have either, especially regarding the parliamentary party. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Well fair enough they haven't been called that for generations. Used to be Liberal, now Lib Dem, soon to be whatever Chuka calls it

I believe his Grandad was Labour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

We've had worse.

 

Chuka obviously just thinks it's the best way for him to keep his seat.

But what's in it for the Libs?  Half decent chance at another MP at the next GE?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Chuka obviously just thinks it's the best way for him to keep his seat.

But what's in it for the Libs?  Half decent chance at another MP at the next GE?

 

I think he has a valuable contribution to make. He's a very capable man, an impressiver performer and not evil. A staunch Remainer, supporter of proportional representation, and just this week wrote an article in the Independent on drug law reform. People may well end up surprised by how well he fits in.

 

I think it's great if we can attract people like Chuka from the left and, if the rumours are true, Allen and Wollaston from the right. I have always wanted us to be a bigger tent liberal party like our sister party in Canada. Labour and the Tories both seem to be trying to appeal to ever narrower churches, if liberal-minded social democrats and liberal conservatives see us as a viable home, then great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

 

I think he has a valuable contribution to make. He's a very capable man, an impressiver performer and not evil. A staunch Remainer, supporter of proportional representation, and just this week wrote an article in the Independent on drug law reform. People may well end up surprised by how well he fits in.

 

I think it's great if we can attract people like Chuka from the left and, if the rumours are true, Allen and Wollaston from the right. I have always wanted us to be a bigger tent liberal party like our sister party in Canada. Labour and the Tories both seem to be trying to appeal to ever narrower churches, if liberal-minded social democrats and liberal conservatives see us as a viable home, then great.

Riiiiight.

But he's obviously only fallen back on the Lib Dems after his own Chuk party was a massive sad failure.  Would have been a bit different if he'd jumped from Labour straight to the Lib Dems.  Now it just looks like a rather desperate marriage of convenience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't knock marriages of convenience. Sometimes they can be the longest lasting.

 

He founded TIG because he thought the country needed a new centre party, but it turns out the country didn't. Whether people liked it or not, it took guts to quit an easy life on the Labour backbenches, and there's no shame in honourable failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, not 'self-serving shitbag'. So, in the 2017 election, the Labour candidate for Streatham got over 38,000 votes, the Lib Dems got under 4,000. Streatham now has a Lib Dem MP. Is this what they mean by proportional representation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chuk going to the yellow tories is the most obvious political move he could make. TIG/CHUK were never going to take off. His ego makes his desperate to stay relevant. Which is kind of ironic really now that he's with the LD.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×