You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

You reap what you sow when you get into bed with right wing, upper class cunts.

If you're saying that the Lib Dems should never work with the Tories, only with Labour, then we might as well just have a two party state.

Well, you might get your wish one day. I don't think the country will be any better off for it though.

I still maintain that the biggest problem in this country is the voting system. Real change is impossible until that is changed.

I still maintain that the biggest problem in this country is the voting system. Real change is impossible until that is changed.

I still maintain that the biggest problem in this country is that oxygen thief Nick Clegg deciding to become a politician and "lead" that joke of a party to "form a government" with the tories.

• Upvote 1

If you're saying that the Lib Dems should never work with the Tories, only with Labour, then we might as well just have a two party state.

Well, you might get your wish one day. I don't think the country will be any better off for it though.

But you sold your soul for that and the country said no.

Time to get rid of Clegg and reinvent yourselves as per the original SDP intention

Cleggy won't let go of his ministers car and all the perks power provides easily, he'll get himself another twelve months.

Cut the top rate of tax, increase Vat, push through the bedroom tax, oversee the rise in zero hour contracts, deride workers rights, sell of parts of the Nhs, let thousands depend on food banks, sell of the Royal Mail for peanuts, increase tuition fees, etc. Nick don't mind, he's got his car.

The people have spoken, a poxy 6% of the voters put their cross in favour of Clegg when only 33% of the population actually voted tells its own story, hardly a ringing endorsement. The sooner this cheap suit snake oil salesman becomes a footnote in British history the better.

Clegg is just the same as all of them, career politicians they will all do whatever is needed to keep themselves in power on the benches and raking in the expenses,2nd mortgage's and then the seats on the boards of those who's dirty works they have carried out.

Maybe Clegg should have pushed harder then for outright change and not settled for a referendum

Maybe Clegg should have pushed harder then for outright change and not settled for a referendum

Maybe Clegg should have done this. Maybe Clegg should have done that. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

Maybe Clegg should have fiddled while Rome burned all around him, and put party interests before the interests of a country which was days away from having the plug pulled on it. I'd certainly recommend that any Lib Dem leader in the future does just that.

Clegg taking one for the team eh by decimating his party for the greater good, he's a real hero he is. He was the King maker for whichever government he chose to try and form, if he'd pushed the Tories wouldn't have had much choice but to accept. You said yourself that the voting system is flawed so surely it's more in the countries interest to change the system and not just the Lib Dems?

The country voted for a hung parliament, if that's what would have happened the Lib Dems wouldn't have taken the blame and even if they had put their interests ahead of the rest of the country they'd probably be in a better position then they are now as the whipping boys.

Yes all hindsight but when your party has made such a monumental fuck up as they have then you have to take what consequences comes with your decisions

Maybe Clegg should have done this. Maybe Clegg should have done that. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

Maybe Clegg should have fiddled while Rome burned all around him, and put party interests before the interests of a country which was days away from having the plug pulled on it. I'd certainly recommend that any Lib Dem leader in the future does just that.

It's not hindsight though, is it?  While Clegg was selling out - for a referendum between two non-proportional systems - loads of people were saying that what he was doing was shit and would cost the party dearly.

As for Rome burning - exactly what has Fireman Nick done?  Stopped the recession? Saved jobs?  Lowered the debt? Turned back the tide of growing inequality that's tearing the country apart?  Saved the NHS from privatisation?  Halted the rise of racist extremists?  Reduced dependency on fossil fuels?

At least you could count on Nero for a decent tune. 

• Upvote 2

I still maintain that the biggest problem in this country is that oxygen thief Nick Clegg deciding to become a politician and "lead" that joke of a party to "form a government" with the tories.

It is easy to underestimate the state the country was in at the time of the last general election, in Liam Byrne's own words "the money had run out".

Economically, if Clegg had backed that Labour Administration it would have been like offering to join Jimmy Saville as he did a spot of babysitting. A minority Government would have been crippled at every decision making turn. Clegg had little option other than to do a deal with the Tories.

His mistake was to make an obscure, obtuse PR referendum "the price" for his support, if it had been tuition fees, things might have been different.

The Lib Dems were, and are, a minor Parliamentary party. If they had played ducks and drakes with a minority government they might have been in a stronger position now, but the country would be worse off, and it is just as likely that everyone would have been pissed off with them for stopping decisive policies.

On a personal note, Clegg, Cable and Danny Alexander would never, and will never again, have a seat in government and the hugely talented, but greedy David Laws has only himself to blame for screwing up his chance.

The Lib Dems will be monstered at the next GE, which is a shame as they are the only party prepared to put the case for Europe, a case which Tory Big Business , and Labour unions have significant support for, with some reservations.

There are quite a few twists to come in the Euro debate, and UKIP, when the moment of truth comes, will not have it all their own way.

As for Rome burning - exactly what has FiremanNick done?

By any measure the economic tide has turned, and he has been part of the government that did it?

as the price been too high? That is a matter for debate. The result is not.

He can claim to have saved the nation from economic catastrophe, rightly. But the Lib Dems will get little credit for that. What Lib Dem policies have prospered over the past four years? I can't think of any, and that will do for him.

Economically we may be in recovery, but we are directionless. Labour have little fiscal credibility, Balls is a discredited dinosaur with the same Oxford PPE background so beloved of the Tories. Osborne has slashed and burned- and that's about it. There is a vacuum- and UKIP are hardly going to fill it.

Sorry Dog, that's fucking ridiculous. A genuinely stupidly naive statement that the Lib Dems weren't thinking of their own self-interest in making the move into government, then added to it that nonsense about the plug being pulled. 

If Nick Clegg were in the position Labour where he'd have done exactly the same thing, the move he felt was the best political strategy for his party. He's not some fucking saint throwing himself on a grenade, he's a politician who made a self-interested political decision, like they all do.

On your thoughts above that: if people are morons then how is the voting system the main problem (as opposed to the quality of information they receive to make their decisions being generally controlled by a small elite).

• Upvote 1

By any measure the economic tide has turned, and he has been part of the government that did it?

as the price been too high? That is a matter for debate. The result is not.

He can claim to have saved the nation from economic catastrophe, rightly. But the Lib Dems will get little credit for that. What Lib Dem policies have prospered over the past four years? I can't think of any, and that will do for him.

Economically we may be in recovery, but we are directionless. Labour have little fiscal credibility, Balls is a discredited dinosaur with the same Oxford PPE background so beloved of the Tories. Osborne has slashed and burned- and that's about it. There is a vacuum- and UKIP are hardly going to fill it.

Erm. Any measure?

Erm. Any measure?

The economy is in recovery. That is economic fact.

You can argue ( rightly) that there is much still to do, and things which are still gravely wrong. You can also predict that it will not last, and that its effects are weak to non-existent in some parts of the country and sectors of the economy, but not for the UK as an entity. But by no measure can you argue that we are not in recovery.

As for Rome burning - exactly what has Fireman Nick done?  Stopped the recession? Saved jobs?  Lowered the debt? Turned back the tide of growing inequality that's tearing the country apart?  Saved the NHS from privatisation?  Halted the rise of racist extremists?  Reduced dependency on fossil fuels?

Yes, he's helped do all of those things, not that he'll get any credit for it.

He's not some fucking saint throwing himself on a grenade, he's a politician who made a self-interested political decision, like they all do.

I can't argue with that.

I do think that Clegg was aware that this was the first chance since Lloyd George of the Liberals having some power, and that he was also aware that it may have been their last chance. So he reasoned that it was worth a go, not unreasonably.

The economy is in recovery. That is economic fact.

You can argue ( rightly) that there is much still to do, and things which are still gravely wrong. You can also predict that it will not last, and that its effects are weak to non-existent in some parts of the country and sectors of the economy, but not for the UK as an entity. But by no measure can you argue that we are not in recovery.

Your statement was that the "economic tide" had turned by any measure. It hasn't on many measures.

It has on London property though. And that's as solid a measure for future prosperity as you'll find.

I can't argue with that.

I do think that Clegg was aware that this was the first chance since Lloyd George of the Liberals having some power, and that he was also aware that it may have been their last chance. So he reasoned that it was worth a go, not unreasonably.

Not unreasonably at all.

Regardless of Lib Dems blaming the population for their fate they took the chance and it has been a strategic calamity. Whatever plan they had, it was either poorly conceived or poorly executed and whichever one it was it's on them. I thought they were better operators than the Tories but apparently not. 

Yes, he's helped do all of those things, not that he'll get any credit for it.

Aye, quite the fucking messiah that he is... the whole nation is giving him the payback he and his poxy party richly deserves right now.

As one TLW forumite used to say - "You've made your bed and guess what... it's bedtime".