You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Stronts - would you have backed his mid 90’s idea of merging with Blair’s Labour Party? 

I thought Blair came up with that one. I don't think I would have supported that and most people on both sides were quite opposed to it.

With that said, I think a New Labour type party with its worst (authoritarian) tendencies mollified by Liberals would be quite an attractive proposition.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog said:

I thought Blair came up with that one. I don't think I would have supported that and most people on both sides were quite opposed to it.

With that said, I think a New Labour type party with its worst (authoritarian) tendencies mollified by Liberals would be quite an attractive proposition.

From memory it was Ashdown who came up with the idea and Blair was interested until he realised he could win without the libs. 

Would have been a very interesting proposition though. 

I would love a PR system, a labour led administration with the libs, Greens, Plaid and the SNP could do great things for the country. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Here’s something posted by the long lost Stu M 

But apart from preventing maternity rights from being scrapped, the introduction of at-will dismissal, abolition of the Equality & Human Rights Commission and the Public Sector Equality Duty, forcing people to give up employment rights for shares, and the undermining of trade union protections, what did the Lib Dems do to stop Tory excesses in coalition?

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Sold the post office. 

Royal Mail actually.

Shares are currently trading at 272p, some way down on the "cut price" 330p a share that Cable sold them off at. So if you think it was sold off cheap, now's your chance to bag a bargain (anyone? nope didn't think so...)

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Royal Mail actually.

Shares are currently trading at 272p, some way down on the "cut price" 330p a share that Cable sold them off at. So if you think it was sold off cheap, now's your chance to bag a bargain (anyone? nope didn't think so...)

Spoken like a true free market Tory.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Pointing out facts makes a person a free market Tory? What an odd comment.

Not odd in the slightest if the only value you attach to a publicly owned institution is its share price and a profit to be made.

Will you ever in your life say ‘ Yeah we shouldn’t have done that’

44 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

But apart from preventing maternity rights from being scrapped, the introduction of at-will dismissal, abolition of the Equality & Human Rights Commission and the Public Sector Equality Duty, forcing people to give up employment rights for shares, and the undermining of trade union protections, what did the Lib Dems do to stop Tory excesses in coalition?

You can't have done that or the government would have fallen. 

*cough*

1 minute ago, iPlop said:

Not odd in the slightest if the only value you attach to a publicly owned institution is its share price and a profit to be made.

Will you ever in your life say ‘ Yeah we shouldn’t have done that’

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

The claim, repeated often, has been that Vince Cable/the Lib Dems sold off Royal Mail for less than it was worth.

It was sold at 330p a share and is currently trading at 275.8p, rendering the claim that it was sold off for less than it was worth to be demonstrably false.

You seem to be making a different argument altogether. Which is fine, but it's clearly not the one I'm responding to.

• Downvote 2