You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

14 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Haha by stalking his Facebook page? Mate you only added me on Facebook to perv at my girl mates and now you're blimping strontz page to make sure for a fact he is part of the 'empire'. I like it. That there is proof he is a tory. I don't have any star wars toys because i'm 35 and like shagging, beer, pidge and the footy but that just screams tory. If I had a star wars toy it would be a full size han solo. Obviously we have all shagged Tonys mum (chewbacca) but thats more for the ride than to save the galaxy. 

I'm only on your facebook now to keep up with your apparent mission to drink yourself to death.

You need to try harder, by the way.

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jo-swinson-axes-candidate-over-series-of-offensive-tweets-a4295886.html

Ben Mathis, jibbed. As most of the larger news providers seem silent on it. 

On another note, I quite like that raspberry colour on Stronts mantelpiece wall. 

He seems sound.

The relevant paragraph coming somewhere towards the end of that article:

The tactic of masquerading political pamphlets as newspapers has been used by all major British political parties for many years, with local Labour and Conservative candidates also taking the same approach during this election. The Tories have produced a similar publication called Pudsey Future, while voters in Tooting, south London, have received a publication called Daily Press, which presents itself as a newspaper that is “free, paid for by local residents”, but does not state on its front page that it is a Labour campaign leaflet.

I'll leave others to ponder on why the Lib Dems are being singled out for something that literally all parties do.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'll leave others to ponder on why the Lib Dems are being singled out for something that literally all parties do.

Fair pont to be honest. I imagine the content in a Labour one would have a lot more truth than a Lib-Dem one though. Mainly because I got a Dandy through the door the other day.

Well I thought it was the Dandy until I turned to page 3 and Swinson was resting her chebs in a pyrex dish full of spaghetti hoops. 

11 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There's another relevant paragraph even closer to the end of that article-

However, the Lib Dems’ systematic use of the approach during this campaign has attracted particular attention, potentially because of increased awareness around campaigning tactics and misinformation after recent election scandals. The party’s infamous use of dubiously labelled bar charts to emphasise that they were in with a chance of winning a constituency has also come under repeated scrutiny, despite having been a standard campaign tactic for decades. 

LOL

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50565209

Jo Swinson wins court bid to stop SNP 'fracking' leaflet

Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson has succeeded in her bid to stop an SNP leaflet which accuses her of accepting a £14,000 donation from "a fracking company".

Ms Swinson asked the Court of Session in Edinburgh to stop the Royal Mail from distributing the leaflet in her East Dunbartonshire constituency.

The SNP's QC had argued there was no "substantial untruth" in the leaflet.

But Lord Pentland said a statement on the leaflet was false in substance, materially inaccurate and defamatory.

He said: "I don't consider it would be right for an official election leaflet which contains a prima facie defamatory statement to be distributed by the Royal Mail."

Ruling in favour of Ms Swinson, Lord Pentland ordered the SNP and its candidate Amy Callaghan to pay Ms Swinson's costs.

The SNP's legal team is considering an appeal.

'No substantial untruth'

In the leaflet, Ms Swinson's Nationalist rival Ms Callaghan claimed the Lib Dem politician was a hypocrite because she accepted a £14,000 donation from a "fracking company".

However, lawyers acting for Ms Swinson claimed the statement was defamatory.

They also sought an order from judge Lord Pentland which would stop the Royal Mail from distributing the leaflet.

Roddy Dunlop QC told the court earlier that a director of Warwick Energy, a renewable energy company which holds licences for fracking, had made the £14,000 donation in a personal capacity to Ms Swinson's constituency office.

The QC said the donation had not been made to Ms Swinson personally and had not come from a fracking company, and that 80% of the company's output came from renewable energy sources.

He said: "It does have a fracking licence but it doesn't engage in shale gas fracking."

Mr Dunlop added: "We are in the midst of a general election. It is unlawful for there to be made a false statement of fact in relation to the personal character or conduct of a character."

The leaflets were due to be distributed by the end of this week - just before the deadline for postal votes to be cast.

The court heard that a number of them had already been distributed.

'Urgent' appeal

For the SNP, Jonathan Mitchell QC said there was no "substantial untruth" in the leaflet. He said the money was from a "fracking source."

He added: "These are allegations, disgraceful allegations, made against her which have been out in the public domain since June.

"The criticism is of her voting record and her connection to frackers.

"There is no substantial falseness in any of this."

The claims contained in the leaflet did not meet the legal test for defamation, he added.

He said the hypocrite remark was justified given Ms Swinson's past public statements in which she said she supported pro-environment government policies.

He added: "The allegation is not one regarding personal conduct or character. It is of her policies.

"The complaint is about her priorities; her record."

Following Lord Pentland's decision, Mr Mitchell said his clients would consider launching an appeal as a matter of "urgency".

He said this was because voters in East Dunbartonshire casting postal votes would do so without receiving an electoral communication from the SNP.

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Roddy Dunlop QC told the court earlier that a director of Warwick Energy, a renewable energy company which holds licences for fracking, had made the £14,000 donation in a personal capacity to Ms Swinson's constituency office.

The QC said the donation had not been made to Ms Swinson personally and had not come from a fracking company, and that 80% of the company's output came from renewable energy sources.

He said: "It does have a fracking licence but it doesn't engage in shale gas fracking."

Fucking hell , was the judge who backed that cobblers Swinson's dad ?

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

Hmmmm....

So hang on, C4 ice sculptured the 2 cowards, Swinson was there I presume? Did she make any protest at all about the ice sculptures or the shaming of the 2 shithouses during the debate?

If not, why is one of her minions bringing it up now? Backbone made of trifle perchance?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

So hang on, C4 ice sculptured the 2 cowards, Swinson was there I presume? Did she make any protest at all about the ice sculptures or the shaming of the 2 shithouses during the debate?

If not, why is one of her minions bringing it up now? Backbone made of trifle perchance?

She and they are trying to deflect from Swinson being questioned about flying too and from Scotland constantly