You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

36 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

What’s your view on the free internet proposal from Labour. I’m not really decided on it. 

I'm not bothered about the nationalising Openreach part, but I want a choice of internet provider, and I'm not super-enthused about state-controlled internet either.

21 minutes ago, moof said:

What are the drawbacks?

Taking 10 years to achieve it, potential for government control (freedom, interference, etc), costing a lot of money, harming business thus lowering tax income. Those are just the things that come to mind. Like I say, I've not really made my mind up. I like the idea of internet being available to everybody, free of charge. I guess I would need to see more of the policy behind it before I made a judgement. That said, one of my biggest reservations is whether or not it's actually necessary or a priority at this moment in time. 

To be honest, I just can't see Labour winning a majority, so I think it's probably something I'm not going to bother too much about until after the election. 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

Taking 10 years to achieve it, potential for government control (freedom, interference, etc), costing a lot of money, harming business thus lowering tax income. Those are just the things that come to mind. Like I say, I've not really made my mind up. I like the idea of internet being available to everybody, free of charge. I guess I would need to see more of the policy behind it before I made a judgement. That said, one of my biggest reservations is whether or not it's actually necessary or a priority at this moment in time. 

To be honest, I just can't see Labour winning a majority, so I think it's probably something I'm not going to bother too much about until after the election. 

How does it harm business... you know what mate, never mind. Fair enough - I see it completely differently. The benefits are pretty substantial, in my view far more substantial than any potential drawbacks 

19 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'm not bothered about the nationalising Openreach part, but I want a choice of internet provider, and I'm not super-enthused about state-controlled internet either.

Honest question. Would you feel the same if the Lib Dems had suggested this? 

6 minutes ago, moof said:

How does it harm business... you know what mate, never mind. Fair enough - I see it completely differently. The benefits are pretty substantial, in my view far more substantial than any potential drawbacks 

I think you’re reading it as I’m against it. I only listed drawbacks because that’s what you asked. There are upsides, of course. I’ve just not made up my mind. I’m not sure it’s a priority or a vote winner. 

I will answer the question on how it’s bad for business though. If you’ve got a company where you’re offering a product for 30-40 quid a month and then somebody comes in with free internet, people aren’t going to pay for it any more. Whether or not you or I care about that, it’s still a downside. It might well be outweighed. It’s still a downside though, mate. 

I don't think wholey nationalising broadband is a good idea. Government interference would clearly be an issue, more so if the Tories got hold of it. I do however like the idea of nationalising the infrastructure on which it runs and then leasing out slices of it to private companies to then sell onto consumers. I could see benefits there for the tax payer and consumer.

29 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think you’re reading it as I’m against it. I only listed drawbacks because that’s what you asked. There are upsides, of course. I’ve just not made up my mind. I’m not sure it’s a priority or a vote winner. 

I will answer the question on how it’s bad for business though. If you’ve got a company where you’re offering a product for 30-40 quid a month and then somebody comes in with free internet, people aren’t going to pay for it any more. Whether or not you or I care about that, it’s still a downside. It might well be outweighed. It’s still a downside though, mate. 

I read it as being bad for “business” overall (thanks for clarifying). I think generally a lack of fast, reliable connection is a major problem for lots of small businesses. Think I read something like 10% of UK businesses have fibre, whereas it’s near 100% in japan, for instance. So I can imagine a full high speed network can only be a positive in terms of productivity, lessening the commuting burden and all that good shit. That’s without even getting to the social benefits. It’s a brilliant policy imo

32 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Honest question. Would you feel the same if the Lib Dems had suggested this? 

Why would I feel any differently? What a weird question.

Of course, the Lib Dems wouldn't suggest this in the first place, so it's moot.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Why would I feel any differently? What a weird question.

Of course, the Lib Dems wouldn't suggest this in the first place, so it's moot.

How is it a weird question to ask a hypocrite? I genuinely don't believe your reply because you lie. 

Nope the Lib-Dems don't want to do anything decent thats why. Austerity voting murdering shithouses. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

How is it a weird question to ask a hypocrite? I genuinely don't believe your reply because you lie. 

If you won't believe my response, why even ask me the question in the first place?

You must have me confused with someone who applies double standards. Idiot.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

If you won't believe my response, why even ask me the question in the first place?

You must have me confused with someone who applies double standards. Idiot.

You do. Far more so than the rest of the forum put together. That is a fact. I know you struggle with facts. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

You do. Far more so than the rest of the forum put together. That is a fact. I know you struggle with facts. 

So find a single instance of me applying a double standard. Because I know there isn't one.

A bad idea is a bad idea no matter who is proposing it.

So find a single instance of me applying a double standard. Because I know there isn't one.

A bad idea is a bad idea no matter who is proposing it.

Thats too easy. To be honest you've done it this week when one of your lot was caught being a racist scumbag. If that had been a Labour councillor you'd have been salivating all over your bollocks. 

I agree on the second line for sure. 

EJbAdKkWoAAfEYy?format=jpg&name=900x900

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Thats too easy. To be honest you've done it this week when one of your lot was caught being a racist scumbag. If that had been a Labour councillor you'd have been salivating all over your bollocks. 

The one I said should be dropped as a candidate, you mean?

Struggling to see how I would have said anything different if he was a member of another party. Nope.

The one I said should be dropped as a candidate, you mean?

Struggling to see how I would have said anything different if he was a member of another party. Nope.

You know you would so stop lying for god sake. Same as the nazi scumbags on the latin america thread. You are selective and hypocritical. I admire your bullshit. Takes a lot to be continually full of it.