You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

7 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I have to admit, it’s not a particularly smart tactic to say you wouldn’t use them, even if you don’t use them. And if you’re not willing - in any circumstance - to use it in retaliation, potentially stopping others being nuked either in your country or others, then I don’t think you’re fit to be the one deciding. I’m probably in a minority on here but I absolutely want us to retain a nuclear deterrent. I also don’t want a PM to undermine that expensive deterrent by practically wiping out its meaning as a deterrent. 

I think there are some important questions about whether the idea of a deterrent is a legitimate reason to keep nuclear weapons. I personally think it’s a load of absolute bollocks and a complete myth that a nuclear deterrent keeps peace. I’m surprised to read a post like this from you 

https://www.nonproliferation.org/wp-content/uploads/npr/153_wilson.pdf

6 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

You can't see why the UK wouldn't want those countries to have nuclear weapons? Do you know much about those countries? They're not the last countries that I want having them, but they're pretty far down the list of countries you want to either have the ability to launch nuclear strikes or to have the enhanced power that having those brings. 

Why? If the United States has a thousand nukes, and Russia has 500, why can’t Libya have one? If deterrent and all that stuff works, then surely every country should have one. Nobody would ever be attacked again 

10 minutes ago, moof said:

if you’re not willing - in any circumstance - to use it in retaliation, potentially stopping others being nuked either in your country or others, then I don’t think you’re fit to be the one deciding

This line of thinking genuinely baffles me 

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Haven't we addressed the Flavible issue already? Whatever you think of their projections, they're clearly not "lies".

And I'd bet good dollars that Flavible's projections are nearer the mark than the 2017 results, which certain people seem to think are set in stone.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/lib-dems-accused-of-intentionally-misinforming-voters-with-leaflets-2019-11#click=https://t.co/HeGCClTkdP

Let's show your true party credentials here now that both YouGov and Flavible have come out against it. 

Note: it's ok to be wrong in life. It's ok to make mistakes. It's ok to to not defend the indefensible. 

https://fullfact.org/news/lib-dem-leaflet-false-quote/

But, I'm sure the Fib Dem cultist will be along in a minute to tell us that there's actually an explanation written in small white text on a white background which tells us that the Guardian didn't actually give the Fib Dems an endorsement and the words attributed to the Guardian were actually a quote of Swinson's words and the leaflet is perfectly clear, doesn't mislead or intend to do so and it's all really all our fault for being too thick to fully understand the subtle nuance of what the leaflet is actually saying. 

I'd have a lot more respect for SD (who I actually like as a poster on here away from his persona around politics) if he just said "Yeah thats a lie, bad move". 

He is completely incapable of it. Same with direct answers and his rabid hypocrisy. He genuinely should lead the Tory or Lib-Dem party. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I'd have a lot more respect for SD (who I actually like as a poster on here away from his persona around politics) if he just said "Yeah thats a lie, bad move". 

He is completely incapable of it. Same with direct answers and his rabid hypocrisy. He genuinely should lead the Tory or Lib-Dem party. 

But it's not a "lie", is it. A lie is something which is untrue.

I am happy to admit that the Lib Dems are "misleading" people into thinking that Labour are coming third in places where Labour are coming third. Erm...