You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

32 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The modern political/business world and how its tendrils interact summed up in an image. One a senior Facebook employee despite having no tech background, the other a paid advisor to about ten millions banks despite having the financial nous of a skint dentist. Show me the money, our work here is done.

Gideon is currently charging the great and the good 5k for a one hour phone call where he explains his insider knowledge around tax and taxation and how to weather the Brexit/Covid storm, yes, really.

This is one of his many current post government 'opportunities'.

First against the wall during the glorious revolution...

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Tougher sanctions that were never and could never be implemented. Great politics, sadly misunderstood by so many.

Explain it to me. 5 years of power and that and tuition fees are what Lib Dems are remembered for. 

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The modern political/business world and how its tendrils interact summed up in an image. One a senior Facebook employee despite having no tech background, the other a paid advisor to about ten millions banks despite having the financial nous of a skint dentist. Show me the money, our work here is done.

And one is Beaker from the Muppets

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Explain it to me. 5 years of power and that and tuition fees are what Lib Dems are remembered for. 

I personally remember it for lifting three million low earners out of income tax, positively addressing the deficit, legalising gay marriage, raising an extra £9bn a year in tax from the wealthiest earners, extra school funding for disadvantaged children, the green investment bank, and things like that. But I digress.

Specifically on the plastic bag charge - a charge which has reduced plastic bag sales in shops by 95%, removing billions of single use plastic bags fom circulation - the Lib Dems got the charge introduced in return for benefit sanctions that they already knew would be blocked by the courts, having taken legal advice to that effect.

I call it good politics, getting something in return for nothing. But it's obviously been spun by opponents of liberalism in a way that is dishonest and does not reflect the actuality of the situation.

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I personally remember it for lifting three million low earners out of income tax, positively addressing the deficit, legalising gay marriage, raising an extra £9bn a year in tax from the wealthiest earners, extra school funding for disadvantaged children, the green investment bank, and things like that. But I digress.

Specifically on the plastic bag charge - a charge which has reduced plastic bag sales in shops by 95%, removing billions of single use plastic bags fom circulation - the Lib Dems got the charge introduced in return for benefit sanctions that they already knew would be blocked by the courts, having taken legal advice to that effect.

I call it good politics, getting something in return for nothing. But it's obviously been spun by opponents of liberalism in a way that is dishonest and does not reflect the actuality of the situation.

003F6A17-1DA2-4A89-AFFD-8503F1BA683F.png

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Tougher sanctions that were never and could never be implemented. Great politics, sadly misunderstood by so many.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

More shit .... shit shit waffles lies ignorance lies and deflect. You are a tory. 

46 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Stronts has a point here to be fair. 

If that coalition had never been formed, the vast majority of the heinous shit inflicted on people by the bastards since 2010, savage austerity, bedroom tax and countless other things may never have happened.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Pretty pointless if you’re enabling extreme right wing economic ideology with a load of posh boys that has led to even higher levels of inequality, deprivation, crime, and corruption. My point is no one remembers the nice things LDs achieved in coalition because as a poster pointed out, for most people it’s the headlines, quick scan read, and then the goal posts have moved the next day. 

A Lib Dem candidate I met actually repeated May’s “there’s no magic money tree” statement. Plenty of money around to pay your mates in a pandemic, or to build up the military. 

The thread got bumped because of the article about the DWP. Who do we believe? The report about the 120,00 austerity linked deaths from

the UN or the Tories? 

6 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

The thread got bumped because of the article about the DWP. Who do we believe? The report about the 120,00 austerity linked deaths from

the UN or the Tories?

We've covered this dodgy stat before. The "120,000 deaths" figure doesn't come from the UN. It comes from a UCL study which didn't measure actual deaths, but a slowing in the decline of expected deaths between 2012 and 2014, extrapolated to the period 2010-2017; these phantom deaths were then tentatively attributed to spending constraints.

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've literally posted nothing but facts. Look in mirror if you want true ignorance.

You are a liar and you know it. You shit out when you get your pants dropped. Delusions of intelligence when in-fact you're a one-dimensional, narcissist with big tits. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

We've covered this dodgy stat before. The "120,000 deaths" figure doesn't come from the UN. It comes from a UCL study which didn't measure actual deaths, but a slowing in the decline of expected deaths between 2012 and 2014, extrapolated to the period 2010-2017; these phantom deaths were then tentatively attributed to spending constraints.

Explain "phantom deaths" 

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I reckon one death as a direct result of government policy is one too many.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Explain "phantom deaths" 

I thought I did, on multiple occasions. 

The mortality rate declined under the coalition, but it didn't decline as fast as it had been declining. It is this slowing in the decline in mortality which UCL researchers decided constituted extra deaths, even though fewer people were actually dying.

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I thought I did, on multiple occasions. 

The mortality rate declined under the coalition, but it didn't decline as fast as it had been declining. It is this slowing in the decline in mortality which UCL researchers decided constituted extra deaths, even though fewer people were actually dying.

Nobody cares what you say. You chat shit constantly. It's fine to chat shit as long as you own it when proved wrong. You are incapable of doing that. Oh and the Lib dems are shite. So are Labour to be fair. 

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I’m sure that’s of great consolation to the people sanctioned before their deaths. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That's a very liberal take on it.