You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

This thread is the ultimate microcosm of why we’re almost certainly now getting both a Boris Johnson government, with its accompanying legal changes to scrutiny of politicians via the role of the courts, the lords and what of the press remains remotely free and impartial, and a Hard Brexit under the direction of him, Trump and their insane group of vested interests. Mind bending to have watched people all over the Internet and elsewhere waste so much time and energy on one-upmanship with each other, just ploughing on and doubling down as the obvious consequences of a Johnson full tenure continue to stack up.

As if Labour and the Lib Dems were ever each other’s common enemies in this election, yet despite it neither side has been remotely big enough to knock it off in the common good, and at least accept something far better than the worst case scenario opening up under our feet like a fucking yawning chasm. Could have agreed on a compromise at least in remain seats and worked from there, curbing what each considers the other’s worst excesses.

Its everyone else who is thick and has less morals though. Always. Everyone else who’s shameful and “vile” and unfit for purpose. We’re all of us absolutely fucked unless those with far more in common than they will ever, ever have with Johnson and his ilk work together intelligently in our own common interests. Yet still it goes on on a daily basis.

This country deserves everything it gets, including the left wing which spends all its time clapping itself on the back for not being thick like what everyone else is in failing to understand how the media works and the establishment controls its interests. Divide. And. Conquer. There are literally remainers who consider themselves brighter than average people everywhere pursuing these shite grudges with one another, while one of the biggest cunts this country has ever produced gets prepared to rule over us all, and his dad is on the telly talking about how the general public can’t read and write.

Absolute bunch of fucking idiots.

• Upvote 7

Important to remember neoliberals and capital will always align themselves with the far right before the left. I think it goes a bit deeper than people having substantive arguments about ideology and whether or not austerity was a good thing to explain the rise of the far right. But if it makes you feel any better then, yes, everyone apart from you is a big fucking idiot. 

• Downvote 1

I had a private bet with myself who’d be the first poster to pop up with the trite response that I think I’m clever and everyone else is an idiot, and guess who won, moof? Obviously you won’t care about that and will give it one of your ace aloof gifs.

But its a touch rich to respond to someone like me, who gets ever so slightly bored of hearing the deeply impressive among you piously lecturing on a literal daily basis about how much thicker everyone else is, and how other, thicker, people don’t understand the media and the establishment and their various tricks, and how other, thicker, less moral working class people - brought up in a system ruthlessly designed to the last detail to manipulate them against their own best interests and those they have most in common with - vote for the Tories, which coincidentally by definition makes those of us who don’t much, much better people who can be ever so satisfied with our more discerning nature, when I make a comparatively rare post on the subject and that’s your response.

A good many of you sneer at the working classes who don’t vote the same way as you in exactly the same way people like Johnson and co do, and never tire of patting yourself on the backs for it. So the misplaced condescension towards how I do or don’t think about my own intelligence is beyond parody on one of these politics threads.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I had a private bet with myself who’d be the first poster to pop up with the trite response that I think I’m clever and everyone else is an idiot, and guess who won, moof? Obviously you won’t care about that and will give it one of your ace aloof gifs.

But its a touch rich to respond to someone like me, who gets ever so slightly bored of hearing the deeply impressive among you piously lecturing on a literal daily basis about how much thicker everyone else is, and how other, thicker, people don’t understand the media and the establishment and their various tricks, and how other, thicker, less moral working class people - brought up in a system ruthlessly designed to the last detail to manipulate them against their own best interests and those they have most in common with - vote for the Tories, which coincidentally by definition makes those of us who don’t much, much better people who can be ever so satisfied with our more discerning nature, when I make a comparatively rare post on the subject and that’s your response.

A good many of you sneer at the working classes who don’t vote the same way as you in exactly the same way people like Johnson and co do, and never tire of patting yourself on the backs for it. So the misplaced condescension towards how I do or don’t think about my own intelligence is beyond parody on one of these politics threads.

Ok boomer

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Started early mate? 

14 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Do you really read it as sneering?

For most people surely it's pure frustration.

You’re a terrible example of it mate, obviously only in my opinion, but I’m being honest. Yes, I really do. It’s relentless, going on about people as being thick and effectively devolved and the absolute multitude of different versions of it a great deal of the time isn’t exactly a supportive or benevolent attitude towards them, is it? 

That sweeping use of language is important in my view on how someone is presenting their attitude to people. Being totally honest it absolutely comes across to me as people looking down on other people for not being as informed, as perceptive or as bright. And I can assure you I’m equally frustrated by the way people are being manipulated. 

I suspect I’m in the minority in thinking the above and haven’t raised it or commented on it before, because obviously it will come across as me being a cunt and flaming out/picking an argument. But I’ll be fucked if I’m having an “everyone else is a big idiot apart from you” on here. It’s laughably misplaced.

It’s a one-off post on what it’s truly saddening me to see, not a daily bulletin. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

You’re a terrible example of it mate, obviously only in my opinion, but I’m being honest. Yes, I really do. It’s relentless, going on about people as being thick and effectively devolved and the absolute multitude of different versions of it a great deal of the time isn’t exactly a supportive or benevolent attitude towards them, is it? 

That sweeping use of language is important in my view on how someone is presenting their attitude to people. Being totally honest it absolutely comes across to me as people looking down on other people for not being as informed, as perceptive or as bright. And I can assure you I’m equally frustrated by the way people are being manipulated. 

I suspect I’m in the minority in thinking the above and haven’t raised it or commented on it before, because obviously it will come across as me being a cunt and flaming out/picking an argument. But I’ll be fucked if I’m having an “everyone else is a big idiot apart from you” on this place. It’s laughably misplaced.

It’s a one-off post on what it’s truly saddening me to see, not a daily bulletin. 

Really have no idea how to respond to this.

I just think you've read it wrong in the main. 

However these threads do tend to read in the style of a match thread at times, and it comes from a similar, immediate, emotional reaction. I don't think it's particularly representative of overall thought.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

But I’ll be fucked if I’m having an “everyone else is a big idiot apart from you” on here. It’s laughably misplaced

That was tongue in cheek but obviously didn’t translate so I’ll apologise for that.

Still think you’re referring to a symptom, rather than the cause 

No disrespect, Lizzie, but these threads aren’t indicative of anything. If you want a clear signal, Jo Swinson saying from the off that she won’t go into a coalition with Corbyn even if it means getting a referendum is the problem. Labour never said they wouldn’t work with the Lib Dem’s. All the fake leaflet charts - again Lib Dem’s. They actually seem to be making what they profess to want more likely. What do you want people to do? Sit back and not comment on it?

21 minutes ago, Anubis said:

No disrespect, Lizzie, but these threads aren’t indicative of anything. If you want a clear signal, Jo Swinson saying from the off that she won’t go into a coalition with Corbyn even if it means getting a referendum is the problem. Labour never said they wouldn’t work with the Lib Dem’s. All the fake leaflet charts - again Lib Dem’s. They actually seem to be making what they profess to want more likely. What do you want people to do? Sit back and not comment on it?

If you think it’s just been about people benignly commenting and I’m seeking to stop them doing so, we see things very differently so I’m not going to preach at anyone. 

In terms of such threads not being indicative, I disagree. They’re a microcosm of what is happening everywhere, particularly online, and people are allowing themselves to behave as tribally as rival football fans, in my opinion.

It will only make other people dig in deeper and vice versa and on it goes. It also plays into the deeply angering “toxic left” image, which rightly or wrongly is playing some part in the way the election is going.

But that goes back to what I’ve just said. Swinson decided from the off to attack Labour in the way she has. Exactly what did she think would happen. If the message from the Lib Dem’s has been what can we all do to stop Johnson and and get then public another vote than people would be more amenable to cooperating with tactical voting. But she didn’t. She chose to go for exactly the people she needed both in word, and with a series of fake leaflets undermining Labour in seats where they have a chance of winning with tactical voting. Want to get exasperated - aim your exasperation at her.

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

But that goes back to what I’ve just said. Swinson decided from the off to attack Labour in the way she has. Exactly what did she think would happen. If the message from the Lib Dem’s has been what can we all do to stop Johnson and and get then public another vote than people would be more amenable to cooperating with tactical voting. But she didn’t. She chose to go for exactly the people she needed both in word, and with a series of fake leaflets undermining Labour in seats where they have a chance of winning with tactical voting. Want to get exasperated - aim your exasperation at her.

With respect mate, and I know that wasn’t said with any edge, I’ll aim mine where I see fit based on my own analysis, in the same way you will. 

I personally think your post is indicative of what I’m talking about. People are tribally pointing at the other side’s contribution and absolving their own of any part in it whatsoever. 

I hope very much Corbyn can pull off a miracle and if not that Johnson is at least denied a majority. That’s my only agenda.

I’m off out on the piss and already late so will leave you to it. 

The more content that floods the internet/social media, the more extreme you need to be in order to get noticed. In the pursuit of that, everyone else is getting exposed to radicalised versions of their own beliefs. It's infected everything and I have no idea where the breaking point is. Maybe we will reach some sort of weird inflection point, whereby shit is so extreme that 'the norm', becomes in itself, an extreme paridigm that we eventually shift back to. Politics probabaly the worst of the lot. The constant extreme moral grandstanding and trivialising of serious issues on both sides just ends up desensitising you to it after a while.

• Upvote 1