You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Retirement Age

Jose Jones

What age did you stop playing competitive footy? Or are you an old codger and still going?

I gave up 11-a-side when I moved down here at the tender age of 30 because I couldn't be arsed training twice a week and travelling up to 100 miles to play on the weekend. A sad loss for football that was.

I've been playing 5-a-side since and in the last week our goalie and one of our occasional fill ins have both retired due to persistent injury and age. Our team is all between 35 and 40. I still think I am reasonably fit and don't realise that I am an old bastard (36), but then we'll get killed one week by a bunch of 20 year old South Americans and it brings it home.

Any geriatric footballers on here?

Retired at the ripe old age of 37, last week. Been playing mostly 6 aside for the last couple of years. A combo of injuries, expansive recovery times, and it getting harder to keep up with the young uns, helped force the decision. Saying that, I'm still probably the fittest and quickest, from the group I play in, which is a mixture of 20 somethings and 30 somethings, and a few auld bastards like me. 11 a side I gave up about 8 years ago. Sad day and loss for football.

I stopped playin´ competitive 11 a side at the age of 13 on doctor´s advice, so before it really started.

Since than I played in different 5-aside and 6-a sode teams up to my early 20-ies, when I swapped football grounds for pubs, drinking a lot and taking different types of drugs for almost a decade.

I returned to playin footy when I got married and had a baby son, 3 years ago and I still play 6-aside every wednesday.... I am 34 now.

I recall as a young boy (perhaps 13?) lining up for a friendly game at forward with my dad behind me in midfield at age 38, and his dad behind him in central defense at age 60 or so. Not a competitive game, really, but was still a full 11-on-11 match.

The old codger was a creditable player until he hurt his shoulder in his early 60's. Slow as molasses but had an eye for a pass.

Played 5 aside every week for about 9 years but then with people having kids and nagging birds it died so havent played for about 8 months, first game back tonight so hopefully it'll kick start a new game every week

I'm only 29 so can see me playing for well longer, my mates dad plays with us us still and he's about 58, he's scary.

Played 5 aside every week for about 9 years but then with people having kids and nagging birds it died so havent played for about 8 months, first game back tonight so hopefully it'll kick start a new game every week

I'm only 29 so can see me playing for well longer, my mates dad plays with us us still and he's about 58, he's scary.

So he used to play with Obafemi Martins and Yakubu in his early days?

Quit when I was 19 because I was fed up with the way we played in Norwegian football those days. There was no room for the kind of player like me (natural goalscorer, although probably a bit too lazy). Was offered the chance to play for another club and I wish I took the chance, but I didn't and since then I've only been playing with my mates every now and then.

In terms of 11 a side played footy for my college up front, couldn't get in the Uni team at 19 or any of the years following and played the odd 11 a side but was fucking awful so pretty much packed it in.

Back out of retirement this year though at 26. Played centre mid first game of the season, up front second game and this week our two centre halves aren't playing so i reckon I will get shoved there. Not the centre half type but everyone else in the team is a midget so it's only going one way this weekend. There is going to be cock ups aplenty.

In my last season this year, after playing West Cheshire level since 1993, my 40th coincides with the end of this season, so I figured it was an ideal time to wrap up. I am only a keeper so I suppose late 30's isn't that old, but I'm starting to feel it after games now!

Feeling it now!

The same here....Number of lads didn´appear yesterday, so we had to play 5 a side instead of usual 6 aside on the same pitch, without any subs....we play 90 minutes games.

We won 17 - 14 :drool:

Also keepers didn´arrived because of holidays so we had to change also in the goal.

My personal stats : 3 goals scored.......3 conceded (while beeing a keeper)