You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

sign of the times for the uk?

Guest ShoePiss

It's all over the place the story. It's not often someone with a black glass eye throws a hand grenade at a copper.

It's people like him that render the 'prison doesn't work' argument moot in my view. Yest rehabilitation is all well and good for some acquisitive criminals perhaps, but there's a hard core of headcases out there who you want locked away from you and yours.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Lee sort of alluded to it. The police can do something about it. If they get attacked then the situation could easily escalate as they demand protection in the form of weapons and then we've got ourselves a ball game.

I think it goes deeper than that. In society there's more prey than predators so we have to believe we're being protected, that the bad guys will be punished and the good guys will win in the end. Virtually every tv show or film we're exposed to shows this happening to some extent or the other, and when it doesn't happen we feel unsettled and probably a little bit pissed off.

The reality is that there's a lot of cunts out there and the police can't hope to respond to most of the shit that goes on let alone catch them, so they have to create the impression that they can. My old uni lecturer reckoned they did it with things like the use of high-vis clothing and bright cars to make you notice them - not so you'd be wary, but so the encounter would stand out in your mind and you'd think you'd seen more coppers that day/week on your travels than you actually had,

It's the same with the way the police use the media. They don't cover court cases unless they're 100% certain the person will get sent down and the message is always the same, to a word, 'drug dealing, robbery, shenanigans will NOT be tolerated. We hope this sends out a CLEAR MESSAGE that we will FIND you and LOCK YOU UP.'

Man reads paper/watches news, good guys win - scumbag behind bars, goes to bed happy.

But if the people who are supposed to protect you are getting shot up, the Truman Show comes crashing down.

Explain yourself.

Well, I don't work in the police and can only go by what I see day to day, but even in this so-called equality age I would find it strange for 2 female officers to be paired up/dispatched. Two blokes or one of each yes, but two girls? No.

Regarding the cop-killer bit, it's still a great rarity even with the criminals being tooled-up that ,to me at least, to take that step is still a bit of a taboo for a crim to make. The outrage it causes is taken into account by courts and parole boards.

Well thanks for your replies, but it still annoys me that someone's gender and profession seem to take precedent. Seems like these murders will be used to politicise Police weapon use which is a shame.

I don't reckon it will myself Rem. From everything I've heard and read, it sees like this was an out-and-out ambush. They could have had M16s and they'd still probably be dead.

I don't reckon it will myself Rem. From everything I've heard and read, it sees like this was an out-and-out ambush. They could have had M16s and they'd still probably be dead.
Completely agree that it was an Ambush that couldn't have been prevented, doesn't mean it won't be used to push an agenda though...

This is my old neck of the woods and it's been going on for years, first time I'd heard hand grenades used, but that's by the by.

The place has been run by high ranking dealers for years, a senior member of the TAU even told me the same. Most don't see it in their daily lives, but once you notice one you notice more and more, it runs quite deep in the area, my mum was in the pub the time before it kicked off last turnover of supply chain and saw a couple of men let loose with sawnoffs, now this was only reported locally and most would never have known it happened, even locally. But a lot of blood was shed and a few local 'faces' vanished never to be heard of again.

I don't know the fuck nut who did this personally, but his chief goon held a cricket bat with a nail through the end at my head a couple of Christmas back and had every intention of using it, my crime, wrong place wrong time wrong cunt, luckily a friend of mine knew a friend of his and I didn't have to spend the night in A&E lying to the police about what happened.

Fucking scum the lot of them.

Am I the only wondering why this guy had not been caught before if he first shot and killed a guy in a pub in May and then killed his father in early August by shooting him and throwing a hand grenade at him?

They were after him for the last month. Armed police all over his usual haunts apparently and a 50k reard just for his arrest, not his conviction.

Am I the only wondering why this guy had not been caught before if he first shot and killed a guy in a pub in May and then killed his father in early August by shooting him and throwing a hand grenade at him?

Because you don't talk out against these types, they're fucking animals, he was supposedly hiding in his uncles house, which is about five minutes from me, but got a tip off before TAU and the police chopper arrived.

If they don't get you then their scumbag friend will.

There was this woman on the news who lived there, said she saw him and didn't want her kids out in the street with him around....this was the polices most wanted with a 50k reward, he was also released on bail after shooting the guy in the pub

There was this woman on the news who lived there' date=' said she saw him and didn't want her kids out in the street with him around....this was the polices most wanted with a 50k reward, he was also released on bail after shooting the guy in the pub[/quote']

No he wasn't. The police hadn't been able to find him, let alone arrest him, so how the fuck would he have been bailed?

Guest ShoePiss
Sorry, had only read the Beeb's report, and they didn't mention it. The police clearly didn't have enough evidence to charge him at that point, so would have had to bail him.

Eh? If they couldn't charge him bail wouldn't be necessary.

Guest ShoePiss
No, not generally. And certainly not if you're as big a scumbag as this chap appears to be.

He'd been arrested in connection with the shooting, not charged. As I said above, the police clearly didn't have enough evidence to charge him at that point.

There's plenty who get released on bail, in fact there's 3 people charged with murder in that grenade case that are out on bail.

Guest ShoePiss
Police can bail pending further enquiries. That happens all the time.

Your point still doesn't make sense since you can be released on bail with a murder charge. It just depends person to person whether bail is granted or not.

There's plenty who get released on bail' date=' in fact there's 3 people charged with murder in that grenade case that are out on bail.[/quote']

I can see no reference to three people having been charged with murder in connection with that grenade case in either the BBC report or the Mail report, and I'm on my phone so can't be arsed searching for other stories.

The only reference I can see is a 24-year-old charged with the murder of David Short. He was remanded in custody after appearing at court.

I would be gobsmacked if three people charged with murder involving the use of a hand grenade were given bail.

Are you sure you're not mixing up being arrested and being charged?

Your point still doesn't make sense since you can be released on bail with a murder charge. It just depends person to person whether bail is granted or not.

It does vary on a case by case basis, you're right.

However, having worked in a police press office for ten years, I can assure you it's pretty fucking rare.

And someone charged with murder involving the use of a firearm and a hand grenade would not be getting bail.

PS - please note, I am not a copper and never have been. I was a civilian member of staff and I no longer work there.