You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manc's. Anfield Sunday 23rd 1:30pm

The Chef

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Referee Mark Halsey has made a complaint to Greater Manchester Police about insulting tweets directed at him.

Tweets sent after Manchester United's 2-1 win at Liverpool on Sunday referred to the 51-year-old's treatment for throat cancer in 2009.

Halsey drew criticism from Reds manager Brendan Rodgers after sending off Jonjo Shelvey for a first-half tackle.

Halsey told BBC Sport: "I can confirm that my family have made a complaint to the police."

He added: "I will be speaking to the police on Wednesday after I have returned from refereeing Southampton v Sheffield Wednesday."

Rodgers was angry after Halsey also awarded Manchester United a late penalty, which Robin van Persie converted.

"We could control our players' performance but what we can't control is decisions by the referee," Rodgers said.

Some Liverpool fans later took to Twitter to criticise Halsey's decisions, making reference to him dying of cancer.

The abuse was condemned by the match officials' organisation, Professional Game Match Officials Limited.

PGMOL said: "[We] abhor any abuse of match officials... in stadia or outside of it."

The PGMOL said psychological support was available to referees. "Our main concern is towards Mark and his family, and like with all match officials, there is a backroom team who are there for them," it said.

"This includes a sports psychologist, who has worked extensively with the select group, including Mark, over the past few years.

"Mark has already benefited from the support of all of his colleagues and they will continue to back him this week."

Referees' union Prospect has also come out in support of the referee, calling the tweets "beneath contempt".

Halsey was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2009 but returned to refereeing in March 2010.

He will be in charge of next Saturday's Premier League match between Fulham and Manchester City.

Meanwhile, the Football Association is not expected to take any action over reports of offensive chanting by a minority of fans after the end of Sunday's game.

It noted that both clubs had been active in trying to stop offensive chants

Halsey needs a psychologist.

Yes Mark, Twitter is a social media site, and when you piss off millions of fans worldwide, you'd best expect a rough ride.

I love that HE can complain about us, whereas we're powerless to complain about him. Nice and fair that. Fucking weakling, scourge of football, a stain on the game, I pity you Halsey.

Guest ShoePiss

I don't know what was said on twitter and hoping nearly anyone dies of cancer is disgusting but how is it a Police matter? Reported to GMP I see, lives there does he?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't know what was said on twitter and hoping nearly anyone dies of cancer is disgusting but how is it a Police matter? Reported to GMP I see, lives there does he?

It's fucking ridiculous, isn't it? We can pretty much all agree wishing somebody's cancer returns, talking about Tom Daley's dead father, and all the other stupid things said on Twitter, are off colour, offensive and stupid.

What does that have to do with the police? I think it's beyond pathetic for the police to be involved with twitter comments, outside the realms of incitement for racial hatred and death threats.

I heard somebody on the news talking as if Twitter was a proper broadcast or publication like a newspaper. Common sense deficiency.

Halsey needs a psychologist.

Yes Mark, Twitter is a social media site, and when you piss off millions of fans worldwide, you'd best expect a rough ride.

I love that HE can complain about us, whereas we're powerless to complain about him. Nice and fair that. Fucking weakling, scourge of football, a stain on the game, I pity you Halsey.

you could do with going with him after that nonsense this afternoon. Drop Suarez, Where is Joe Cole? Get a fucking grip.

Courtesy of davelfc

Valencia's gets worse everytime I see it. He goes to feign a shot but then tries to sidestep Pepe and falls over! Glen must have the strength of the Hulk to push Valencia over from that angle!

I was thinking that at the time as well. He had let a lot of meaty challenges go earlier, and i was giving him credit for that.

Glen catches his heel slightly,but Valencia was already on his way down as he knew what was coming.

No he doesn't, he doesn't touch him at all.

He does but it was only visible in a super mega slo-mo, not enough to affect Valencia in any way then Valencia throws his leg out the opposite way.

When Gary Neville says the red card, Valencia penalty and Suarez penalty were all handled wrongly then you know things were bad.

"I've watched it 50 times in there, not that I needed to - it's not a penalty," said the 28-year-old.

"I didn't touch him. I collided with Pepe, I didn't touch Valencia at all.

"The referee told me he had to give it. He thought I touched him. There was no point me arguing with him on the pitch afterwards because he had already given it.

"It's so frustrating because I've not touched him.

"It's cheating at the end of the day. You don't expect people to do that. This is one of the best leagues in the world and you've got people doing that."

untitled-11xgoqc.gif

Such is Johnson's disappointment in the officiating from Sunday that he believes had it been Suarez who tumbled in the area, as Valencia did, then the Reds would not have won a penalty.

"I almost guarantee that if you flip it and Luis was the one who I was chasing and it's exactly the same situation with Luis rather than Valencia, then it wouldn't have been a penalty," he said.

"We all know that. Reputations go in front of people at times.

Read More Glen Johnson accuses Antonio Valencia of cheating to win penalty which led to Man United's victory over Liverpool FC - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

FA charge to follow.

Steven Gerrard claims Luis Suarez is being victimised by referees - who think he's a diver.

Gerrard believes Suarez was denied a spot-kick by Mark Halsey when challenged by Manchester United's Jonny Evans in Sunday's 2-1 loss because of his reputation for going down easily.

The Reds skipper insists this is wrong, and wants officials to judge Suarez on the action in front of them, rather than his reputation.

"I think even when Luis gets blatant penalties now, he's never going to get them," he said. "It's down to referees to not judge him. They have got to make their decisions based on what they see.

ibdsVD9WiUNCVV.gif

Liverpool: Luis Suarez is being picked on by referees says Steven Gerrard - Mirror Online

Halsey gave fouls against us from 61% of our tackles while we only got fouls from 24% of the mancs tackles, make of that what you want.

The difference is remarkable and its not possible to explain it any other way than him being bent.

We made 23 tackles, 14 ended in a foul, the mancs made 29 tackles and 7 of them ended in a foul.

I'd liek to hear Halsey trying to explain that difference.