You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jon Flanagan - centre half

RoyHodgeGone

I think he is a decent player but I don't think he will make it here. He doesn't seem to have the attacking verve to be a modern fullback. He tackles really well, and with experience he would position himself very well. But if you look at what Johnson brings to the fullback role, and even Kelly, who likes to bomb up the wing, then Flanagan might not have that in his game. Too short for centre half IMO. The likes of Cannavaro are a complete anomaly and would be really hard to emulate.

Bolton with Spearing. That's the level I see when I look at Flanagan. Which is no disrespect at all, as he could carve out a Prem career for a decade.

I think he is a decent player but I don't think he will make it here. He doesn't seem to have the attacking verve to be a modern fullback. He tackles really well, and with experience he would position himself very well. But if you look at what Johnson brings to the fullback role, and even Kelly, who likes to bomb up the wing, then Flanagan might not have that in his game. Too short for centre half IMO. The likes of Cannavaro are a complete anomaly and would be really hard to emulate.

Bolton with Spearing. That's the level I see when I look at Flanagan. Which is no disrespect at all, as he could carve out a Prem career for a decade.

The likes of Cannavaro don't play in the Premiership either.

How many Prem Centre-backs are under 6 foot? None?

Cannavaro was only five foot nine, but Flanagan is no Cannavaro. I think if you've got a good leap and you're physically stocky then height shouldn't necessarily be a barrier.

Premiership strikers and defenders are far more physical, though, and often headers are won/lost from a standing position, because both players are wrapped up all over eachother, so having a decent spring isn't enough, because you might not be able to use it. Height is vital.

Premiership strikers and defenders are far more physical, though, and often headers are won/lost from a standing position, because both players are wrapped up all over eachother, so having a decent spring isn't enough, because you might not be able to use it. Height is vital.

vermaelen isnt that tall is he?

flanagan isnt gonna be a centre half though, he even looks like a wimp. would like to see him out on loan for the season.... not good enough for us right now.

He's dealt with plenty of strikers half a foot taller than him, and no doubt stronger, in Italy. I think he'd have excelled here, in no small part down a general ignorance from refs of his various Italian shithouse methods.

Obviously he'd have probably been even better if he was Nesta's height, but I don't think it would have prevented him from being one of the best centrebacks about in any league.

Carragher, although a bit taller (what is he? Bang on 6ft?), is probably shorter than the average defender in England. But his anticipation, coupled with lots of sly grappling, has more than made up for it. People are/were always moaning about penalties not being given against some of Carragher's defending. Same with Cannavaro. Its how you often deal with marking someone bigger than you. They've not given away hundreds of penalties because they've defended brilliantly.

I think it's a bit lazy to say you can't make it as a centre half in England if you're not six foot something.

Off the top of my head, Emlyn Hughes and Des Walker were both around or under five foot ten, and if I dig I'm sure I can find more.

It's certainly a natural advantage to have height but nowhere near insurmountable, and you're not telling me Cannavaro could not have made himself a career in a league where a disaster like Titus Bramble gets his game.

Getting back to Flanagan though, I don't think he's a centre half.

I watch Tranmere some weekends with the missus cos she's a season ticket holder over there

Why we dont loan them some of our kids is a mystery to me, Coady, Robinson, Flanno could all do with a loan and why not over there, we seem to have some beef with them because we never loan them anyone

Maybe they've not forgiven us for sending them Phil Babb?

What I love about this guy is he's someone who seems to actively enjoy defending. Gets him into trouble sometimes and he needs to realise when the ball isn't there to be won. I do like how agrressive he is in the air. Look at the Arsenal game for confirmation. If he had another couple of inches I definitely think he'd make a centre half.

• 5 weeks later...

I think he'll be like a right back version of Spearing - he'll stick around for a few years as a squad player and then be moved on at about 22/23. He has Johnson, Kelly and Wisdom ahead of him right now, and McLaughlin already looks as good as him (if not better.) Decent player but it's very hard to see him making it here.

He was training with the squad today so he'll be back fighting for a place at the right back. Gonna be a hard competition with Andre Wisdom though.

Wisdom looks a much better prospect than him , aswell as having Kelly and Johnson playing there he has no chance , not to sure if he will turn out to be good enough anyway , most likely he'll end up in the Championship before long.